Ultimate X4 Discussion- Part 1 (Spoilers)

Re: Ultimate X-Men/Fantastic Four (X4) Discussion (Spoilers)

Hyperstorm said:
Advanced Idea Mechanics started out as a section of HYDRA during WWII but later broke away after HYDRA Island was destroyed, first trying to conquer the world and after that failed started selling there tech to the highest bidder. There inventions include: MODOK, the MODOC's (Military Operatives Designed Only for Combat), the Super-Adaptoid and the Cosmic Cube.

I thought the Cosmic Cube was created by the Celestials, Eternals, or some cosmic type being. I'm so confused.

Anyway, as for the Ultimate AIM, now knowing its 616 history, I'd kind of like to see it just stay AIM instead of bringing the Hydra name into it, but we'll see how it goes.

Re: Ultimate X4 Discussion (Spoilers)

I liked the art a lot.

I also enjoyed the issue a bit. Just an enjoyable, solid issue. It's not a big "event" (thank God) but a small two-part story.

I enjoyed it. Fun.

DIrishB said:
I thought the Cosmic Cube was created by the Celestials, Eternals, or some cosmic type being. I'm so confused.

Anyway, as for the Ultimate AIM, now knowing its 616 history, I'd kind of like to see it just stay AIM instead of bringing the Hydra name into it, but we'll see how it goes.

The energy for the Cosmic Cubes comes from the Beyonders who release the power every thirty years. AIM made the force-field able to contain the energies. Eons ago the Skrulls did the same thing. Cosmic Cube's eventually mature and become sentient beings, the Skrull cube became the Shaper of Worlds, the AIM cube became Kubik and the Beyonder was another cube being.

Hyperstorm said:
The energy for the Cosmic Cubes comes from the Beyonders who release the power every thirty years. AIM made the force-field able to contain the energies. Eons ago the Skrulls did the same thing. Cosmic Cube's eventually mature and become sentient beings, the Skrull cube became the Shaper of Worlds, the AIM cube became Kubik and the Beyonder was another cube being.

Oooooooohhhhh. Ok. I guess the AIM cube wasn't very imaginative...Kubik? Why not just name yourself cube? Why not call myself Humanze. Stupid AIM cube.

Not a big fan of the story and art. Most disappointing part was the continuity error with Mad Thinker's head. Also I thought the dialogue was kind of poor, especially for Thing. It was like Bendis on USM on a bad issue. I did like the interaction between Reed and the X-men when they first showed up and "took him hostage". In the end 5/10.

For the next issue, I would hazard to guess Wolverine will be the one to track down Thinker and stop her considering he is the only one anti-pschic protection or Jean shows up after realizing its a hoax. Hopefully somethings will be explained, like Thinker's head. With AIM introduced we get more conspiracies in the UU. AIM is probably not working alone, but I don't know with who.

It would be fun if Doom was behind most of the conspiracies and when he finally comes back it takes all of the super hero teams to take him down, and yes I know that is a pipe dream but I love Doom. I should stop using run-on sentences.

So, I haven't got this yet and I'm not a completist. Is this worth it? I knew it wouldn't be all that because it seems like a story built around the idea that the FF and X-Men are gonna meet each other, rather than a cool idea for a story where the writer then finds it possible for the FF and X-Men to meet. You get me?

So, everyone keeps alluding to Ultimate Caliban yet doesn't explain what it/he/she is? Is this even remotely mentioned/cleared up in the issue? And why does a mutant with the ability to track other mutants (that's what Caliban is in 616) need Cerebro, a device which can track mutants? That doesn't make much sense.

Anyway...keep me posted, okay?

I liked it.

It's fast paced and will conclude next issue. Good characterization and the art is great IMO.

3.5/5

Nas-T! said:
So, I haven't got this yet and I'm not a completist. Is this worth it? I knew it wouldn't be all that because it seems like a story built around the idea that the FF and X-Men are gonna meet each other, rather than a cool idea for a story where the writer then finds it possible for the FF and X-Men to meet. You get me?

It wasn't bad, but I think the fact I read it right after Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk #1 kind of ruined it in a way. UWvs.H was just that good, whereas this was only....ehhhhh. Give it a look in the store and decide for yourself if you want to pick it up.

So, everyone keeps alluding to Ultimate Caliban yet doesn't explain what it/he/she is? Is this even remotely mentioned/cleared up in the issue? And why does a mutant with the ability to track other mutants (that's what Caliban is in 616) need Cerebro, a device which can track mutants? That doesn't make much sense.

Anyway...keep me posted, okay?

Caliban was only mentioned, it didn't show them or describe their powers, so can't answer any of those questions really.

Has this come in the mail for anyone? I haven't gotten a copy yet, only because I've been waiting for someone to deliver it... So?

Perhaps Caliban here is not a mutant. But to pay homage to his 616 version, he/she wants the ability to locate mutants, for reasons yet unknown. I hope he shows up here, at least to open up a possible follow-up in another mainbook story arc or mini-series.

Regarding the comic, it's okay although I think Carey ripped too much from Ultimate Arcade by turning Burchill into a commando. It was a fun read and Burchill is a great Ultimization and I'm not surprised Carey liked her too much that he decided to bring her back.

Meh......it was an ok issue. It was kinda like watching a trailer for Harry Potter ya know?

You're getting this little blerp of action and drama and all the other features that get you hyped for the real deal (an actual UFF or UXM issue).....but it's just lacking the completion.

The issue was pretty good. One thing that has me like WTF is why Xavier opted to go just like that. It might be just me, but still. Now that Carey establisehd Ultimate A.I.M., hope that plays out well with whoever picks up with it, more like Bendis in USM than anywhere else. Maybe in Ultimates 3, but I highly doubt it.

Anyways, art was ok. Like it better than Immonen. Some panels I didn't like like the one with the picture of the FF. That didn't look good. And Bobby with his green jeans. Too damn baggy. Looked like he was trying on a pair of Ben's jeans before he became the Thing. The interaction between the Bobby, Kitty, Wolverine and the FF was pretty good. But the way Rhona is now...the hell?! I hope Carey gives an explanation as to why she looks the way she does now. Her hair looks like Colossus when he's armored up.

4/5

icemastertron said:
The issue was pretty good. One thing that has me like WTF is why Xavier opted to go just like that. It might be just me, but still.

Yeah, that kind of bugged me, but then again he did the exact same thing in Ultimate Nightmare.

It was a chick. Xavier thought he was in.

UltimateE said:
Yeah, that kind of bugged me, but then again he did the exact same thing in Ultimate Nightmare.
I mean why he would get up and go with the team like that, not the threat. He was just "Ok, guys, let's go."

ProjectX2 said:
It was a chick. Xavier thought he was in.
Hahaha! :lol:

Last edited:
I was shocked by IGN's rating for this book. It was "Burn It". Anyone of you guys agree? I mean, it wasn't as good as Carey's "Think Tank" and was eons inferior to the Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk, but I don't think it sucked that bad.

cmdrjanjalani said:
I was shocked by IGN's rating for this book. It was "Burn It". Anyone of you guys agree? I mean, it wasn't as good as Carey's "Think Tank" and was eons inferior to the Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk, but I don't think it sucked that bad.

Ouch - that's harsh. It wasn't great but it was far from terrible.

cmdrjanjalani said:

Just remember you can't spell ignorant without IGN.

My take:

Horrible Art, choppy narration.

Why is Xavier so gullible when he's so smart? Come on! We've seen this dupe done on him a thousand times. It reinforced why I have always disliked the X-men, with a few exceptions.

Rhona - I didn't like her changes. I prefer her to be ugly and looking like Corky.

I hope it picks up and redeems itself in issue 2, which will thankfully be the last issue of this mini.

When I finished reading it, I dug out Ultimate Iron Man so I could read a better product. lol.

Then I re-read Ultimate Wolverine v. Hulk (Wolverine's one of those exceptions) so I could read a Superior product.

:eek:)

Leather

Latest posts

Back