Ultimates 2, Volume 1: Gods & Monsters

E

Excelsior Club
I've mentioned this before, but with arcs that I REALLY like and will read over and over again, I buy the TPB even if I have the individual issues, because it is easier to read any carry around.

I picked up Gods & Monsters, and even flipping through it, I was immediately struck by the coloring. The color work is some of the best I've ever seen in a comic - it really is amazing stuff. The contrasts are so perfect. It's dark where it needs to be, and brilliant where it needs to be. It flows so nicely, it looks like art. It's worth buying just for the beautiful color work. Laura Martin is fantastic.

Anyone else pick this up? Thoughts?

You can order it online here: Ultimates 2 Vol. 1: Gods & Monsters $10.87 (32% off!)

UltimateE said:
I've mentioned this before, but with arcs that I REALLY like and will read over and over again, I buy the TPB even if I have the individual issues, because it is easier to read any carry around.

I picked up Gods & Monsters, and even flipping through it, I was immediately struck by the coloring. The color work is some of the best I've ever seen in a comic - it really is amazing stuff. The contrasts are so perfect. It's dark where it needs to be, and brilliant where it needs to be. It flows so nicely, it looks like art. It's worth buying just for the beautiful color work. Laura Martin is fantastic.

Anyone else pick this up? Thoughts?

You can order it online here: Ultimates 2 Vol. 1: Gods & Monsters $10.87 (32% off!)

I did. Reread it. Just great. One of the best TPB that will ever come out in comics. My cousin read it to and really enjoyed it.

This thread is just an excuse for extra revenue isn't it :D

But I do need to re-read it actually. Does the trade have any kinda foreword or anything?

Guijllons said:
This thread is just an excuse for extra revenue isn't it :D

I'm trying to be more conscious of slipping stuff like that in when I can. :wink:

Guijllons said:
But I do need to re-read it actually. Does the trade have any kinda foreword or anything?

No foreward, no extras aside from the cover gallery.

UltimateE said:
Yep, I mentioned Laura Martin in another thread. Her work on Astonishing X-Men was the first time I seriously noticed the colors on a book. They're just beautiful and brilliant. I was really happy to see her on Ultimates 2. I thought the colorist for the first volume was good, but at times he was just too dark and drab.

moonmaster said:
Yep, I mentioned Laura Martin in another thread. Her work on Astonishing X-Men was the first time I seriously noticed the colors on a book. They're just beautiful and brilliant. I was really happy to see her on Ultimates 2. I thought the colorist for the first volume was good, but at times he was just too dark and drab.
Her coloring on AXM won her a Wizard Fan Award for it.

I got a problem. Should i get this or another sin city novel? I started reading ultimates 2 with issue 5 and up, and i am really loving sin city. Which one?

moonmaster said:
I thought the colorist for the first volume was good, but at times he was just too dark and drab.

Paul Mounts. Martin's colors are definitley sharper, but I loved Mount's work also, particularly his flashback scenes with Cap. i thought he captured the tone of the scene perfectly.

The Hulk destruction scenes were also great as well as the Chitauri battle scenes.

slimjim said:
I got a problem. Should i get this or another sin city novel? I started reading ultimates 2 with issue 5 and up, and i am really loving sin city. Which one?

I'd say Ultimates 2 volume 1, just cuz its so damn good. Sin City is too, but I find Miller's tales can get a little repetitive and drawn out at times...that hasn't happened at all in any The Ultimates book, volume 1 or 2. Plus it'll help you catch up on the storyline so you'll be current with the discussions here on the board. As it stands you're already behind on the Sin City stories (since they all came out 5-10 years ago). But it comes down to what you like more. My opinion, go with the Ultimates 2. But Sin City is always a good read as well. I'm not very helpful am I?

Leaning towards ultimates now. Plus it is a hell of alot cheaper.

UltimateE said:
I'm trying to be more conscious of slipping stuff like that in when I can. :wink:
It's all part of the job :wink:

No foreward, no extras aside from the cover gallery.
That's a real pity actually. Something like Millar's Ultimates does need some sort of mention of the times we're living in. If someone picks up the book in ten years, they may miss out on an awful lot without fully appreciating the political climate, not to mention the climate of general comic book writing of this time.

I'm hoping that there shall be some huge 25 issue hardcover to collect Ultimates 1 and 2 with marvel really going to town on making something special of this book.

Hmm, it's a bit slow at the moment, maybe I should give em a call and pitch a few ideas :)

Guijllons said:
It's all part of the job :wink:

That's a real pity actually. Something like Millar's Ultimates does need some sort of mention of the times we're living in. If someone picks up the book in ten years, they may miss out on an awful lot without fully appreciating the political climate, not to mention the climate of general comic book writing of this time.

I'm hoping that there shall be some huge 25 issue hardcover to collect Ultimates 1 and 2 with marvel really going to town on making something special of this book.

Hmm, it's a bit slow at the moment, maybe I should give em a call and pitch a few ideas :)

The Hardcover is a good idea. Don't know about the likelihood of it, as they already released the first volume in HC and will most likely do the same with the second, just don't know if they'll combine the two. It would be quite awesome though.

DIrishB said:
The Hardcover is a good idea. Don't know about the likelihood of it, as they already released the first volume in HC and will most likely do the same with the second, just don't know if they'll combine the two. It would be quite awesome though.
With something as profile as the Ultimates, they really could make one hell of a sale by producing a collectors edition, if only to separate it from the general mass of marvel trades.
The Ultimates really is better than just another name on a spine of thousands. It's one of those books that can draw people into comics.

Guijllons said:
With something as profile as the Ultimates, they really could make one hell of a sale by producing a collectors edition, if only to separate it from the general mass of marvel trades.
The Ultimates really is better than just another name on a spine of thousands. It's one of those books that can draw people into comics.

Very true, perhaps something in the same vein as that Barnes and Noble Ultimate Spider-Man HC exclusive that was released last year. I think it contained the first six TPBs, so a HC collecting the first and second volumes, and maybe the Annual sounds good to me.

icemastertron said:
If they can make a HC with over 500 pages, they can definetly combine both volumes and the annual.

Right. The B&N Ultimate Spidey HC proved that this is possible, and Guij is right - they'd almost be stupid to not do something like that.

UltimateE said:
Right. The B&N Ultimate Spidey HC proved that this is possible, and Guij is right - they'd almost be stupid to not do something like that.

Yes but we already know Marvel often times doesn't practice the best of business techniques...and I wasn't disagreeing, I would love to see something like this.

Latest posts

Back