Ultimates Annual #2 discussion (spoilers)

Do not read this uless you want to spoil who the villian is.

Oh by the way the enemy is Arnim Zola

Didn't care for it...it was well written as far as dialogue goes, but it was hard to follow. Maybe I was just reading it too fast.

LOVED the art though. Deodato Jr. rarely disappoints, and Sook was great (loved his work on the 7 Soldiers Zatanna issues).

I thought that this issue tried a little too hard to have an edge, which Millar pulled off more gracefully. My favorite part of the annual was the scene where Captain America and the Falcon are cruising in a Trans-Am. Loved it. I also liked the bit about the nano-technology in the Falcon's wings.

On a side bit, I thought that after this whole fiasco the Ultimates would break away from the government and become an independent organization. This issue suggests that is not going to happen. Even so, I think that it would be awesome if they did. Imagine the Ultimates trying to make it on limited funding and having an antagonistic relationship with the US government. I'd like to see it go in this direction, but I shouldn't complain, because the New Avengers is tending in this direction. Which, speaking of, I loved the latest issue of the New Avengers. What they've done with Spider-Woman is simply awesome!

I didn't think this issue was good. I do not like Hustons style of writing, I hate his MoonKnight series too. I wish Millar had done this with Deodato jr.

E said:
Didn't care for it...it was well written as far as dialogue goes, but it was hard to follow. Maybe I was just reading it too fast.

LOVED the art though. Deodato Jr. rarely disappoints, and Sook was great (loved his work on the 7 Soldiers Zatanna issues).

ugh. i hate sloppy-esque work. especially deodato. al the hatching makes panels way too busy, though not in a bachalo way. i think he hates inkers. like, look at some panels of close-ups of faces, it looks like an emo badger with nail polish scratched up all the faces. his story-telling is fine, i just hate the way he draws.

sook, on the other hand, is the bee's pajamas. when i was reading this i was like "hmn, this looks like sook, and thats cool." i didn't know it was him until you said it... i assumed he died...

since... you know... he hasnt done X-factor in forever, and he prob. won't be doing any more issues, as 13 has a new series artist.

honestly... how many issues did sook do? 2.5?

iceman said:
means nothing. he always listens to oldies stations, and jan always expresses how much she hates his oldies stuff.

also, their relationship is on the rocks.

also, its only one panel.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Imagine that Jan somehow gets killed in Ultimates. Now read the opening pages of the Annual where Cap, working alone until Falcon shows up, talks about the dead. Gives that opening quite a bit more punch, I'd think, if there is a more current personal reference to go with the rest of the scene.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything either way, and it's not much to go on....

E said:

It was the villian, they didnt really explain him that well

Can't believe no one's mentioned this. In the second-to-last panel:

Falcon: Too bad about the old man's wheels.
Cap: Yeah. Good thing your boss can afford the expenses.

"Your boss"? Falcon's boss is Fury, right? So when Cap refers to him as "your boss", not "the boss" or something, is that hinting that either The Ultimates are separating themselves from S.H.I.E.L.D. or Cap is no longer a part of the team?

Or am I reading too much into a single word?

Last edited:
vintsukka said:
Can't believe no one's mentioned this. In the second-to-last panel:

Falcon: Too bad about the old man's wheels.
Cap: Yeah. Good thing your boss can afford the expenses.

"Your boss"? Falcon's boss is Fury, right? So when Cap refers to him as "your boss", not "the boss" or something, is that hinting that either The Ultimates are separating themselves from S.H.I.E.L.D. or Cap is no longer a part of the team?

Or am I reading too much into a single word?
I don't think Falcon works directly for SHIELD or at least he doesn't think of himself as a SHIELD employee. Like he said in the Annual, "I don't want to be an Ultimate."

MaxwellSmart said:
I don't think Falcon works directly for SHIELD or at least he doesn't think of himself as a SHIELD employee. Like he said in the Annual, "I don't want to be an Ultimate."
I think he does, but he picks and chooses his mission, like in Ultimate Nightmare he was researching stuff that he wanted to until Fury called on him

Am i the only one who thinks Cap looked Gangsta?

I mean he did a drive by and everything

This book sucked. All over. I'm glad it didn't really spoil anything from Ultimates.....but the book itself was just stupid.

Didn't care for the writing...hated Deodato art. The only saving point was Sook's art.

Even worse than some of the non-Clone Saga USM issues. Yeah.....I said it.

1/5

Victor Von Doom said:
This book sucked. All over. I'm glad it didn't really spoil anything from Ultimates.....but the book itself was just stupid.

Agreed. The story jumped around way too much, and was hard to follow because of it. The writer needs to work on his transitions between scenes.

Didn't care for the writing...hated Deodato art. The only saving point was Sook's art.

I'm of the opposite opinion there. I enjoyed Deodato's art, whereas Sook's was extremely simplistic in many aspects and reminded me a lot of Pasquale Ferry's for some reason. Didn't dislike Sook's art, but didn't like it either.

Even worse than some of the non-Clone Saga USM issues. Yeah.....I said it.

But nowhere near as bad as Ultimate Iron Man.

I'll give it a 2/5 because I'm generous...in bed.

DIrishB said:
Just remember, in terms of quality and plain old good, exciting, and interesting story-telling, Ultimates/Ultimates 2 is the high point of the spectrum, whereas Ultimate Iron Man is the low point.

Maybe I should draw up a graph or chart.

It's still bollocks.

Plus there was that one panel with an over-the-shoulder close up of Cap's face----and all I could think about was that Goofy Cap Face pic that E loves.

You know---the one with Cap all buck-toothed. :lol:

Victor Von Doom said:
Plus there was that one panel with an over-the-shoulder close up of Cap's face----and all I could think about was that Goofy Cap Face pic that E loves.

You know---the one with Cap all buck-toothed. :lol:

... :( :cry:

Latest posts

Back