Ultimates Annual #2 discussion (spoilers)

MoS

So we've seen the preview (here posted late July ) and we've read Huston's interview ( here from last March ) and Joe Q's comment that the Annual does NOT spoil the ending of Ultimates, even though it's set after (actually what he said was "As far as I can tell, it won't.")

So - this Wednesday - buy the issue, read it and be spoiled or wait?

Last edited:
Re: Ultimates Annual #2 - read it or wait?

(Thread title updated)

I'll read it. I doubt it will ruin the ending of Ultimates 2, and anyway by the time it's over I'm sure I will have forgotten what happens in Annual #2.

Read. As far as I can tell the only Ultimates/SHIELD members that are involved is Cap and Falcon (and probably Fury) and we all now they survive. About the surroundings of Ultimates HQ, well that can easily be ignored for the story so I doubt that it's in the issue.

E said:
(Thread title updated)

I'll read it. I doubt it will ruin the ending of Ultimates 2, and anyway by the time it's over I'm sure I will have forgotten what happens in Annual #2.

:lol:

So true!

Well, this from Huston makes me think otherwise:

Q. Where does it fit with Mark Millar's current storyline and Jeph Loeb's upcoming run? Is it intended to be a standalone story that new readers will be able to latch on to?

Huston: I haven't read the end of Millar's run yet, but my plan is to pick up right in the aftermath of his destruction of civilization as we know it. No plans to connect to Loeb's run unless I get a request. The story should stand alone pretty well. The reader will meet the other Ultimates and witness some of the UGTA consequences, but they should be able to go for the ride with out a guidebook.

Hmmm...

Im going to read it, but if it spoils Ultimates 2, Im going to be mighty pissed at Marvel for the poor scheduling.

And if Huston doesn't know the end to U2, how does he know which characters can/wont be included? For instance, how will he deal with Furys arm if he doesnt know how the story ends?

I'll buy it, but I won't read it. I'm having so much fun trying to figure out what's going to happen with Ultimates right now, I really don't want to be even the slightest bit spoiled. I'm really only buying it now because by the time Ultimates 2 ends, they won't be selling it anymore:)

Ultimate MJ said:
And if Huston doesn't know the end to U2, how does he know which characters can/wont be included? For instance, how will he deal with Furys arm if he doesnt know how the story ends?
I don't know where the Huston quote is from but it's pretty obvious it was said before he started to write the issue ("my plan" and all that). Which means either he's read the end to U2 or he's changed his mind and won't touch on it so much.

vintsukka said:
I don't know where the Huston quote is from but it's pretty obvious it was said before he started to write the issue ("my plan" and all that). Which means either he's read the end to U2 or he's changed his mind and won't touch on it so much.

That's pretty much what I'm hoping - that when it became clear that the Ultimates schedule was so loose he removed a lot of that.

Besides, I doubt I could NOT read the issue anyway, given my level of interest in the Ultimates.

Also, for amusement value, there is a regular Ultimates novel coming out next week ( Tomorrow Men ) You can read a couple of pages and even search for certain terms (like character names). It doesn't exactly look great, but it looks amusing. It seems to be set between V1 and V2. (Cap and Wasp are a "thing," Banner's gone, it's after the fight with the Chitauri, Black Widow and Hawkeye are oddly good friends and partners.)

Rhyo said:
Huston: I haven't read the end of Millar's run yet, but my plan is to pick up right in the aftermath of his destruction of civilization as we know it.

Im not sure what you were trying to say vintsukka, but this makes it clear that Huston doesnt know the end to U2, but is setting a story there anyways...

I'll read it and basically view it as not in continuity. Even though officals will say it is.

Yeah I am gonna read it and if it spoils anything it probably won't be anything major. Just read it guys.

Ultimate MJ said:
Im not sure what you were trying to say vintsukka, but this makes it clear that Huston doesnt know the end to U2, but is setting a story there anyways...
I was trying to say that at the time he said the above quote he a) didn't know the end to U2 and b) wasn't yet writing the Annual.

I'm betting he either got to read it before starting to write or changed his initial plan.

Last edited:

vintsukka said:
I was trying to say that at the time he said the above quote he a) didn't know the end to U2 and b) wasn't yet writing the Annual.

I'm betting he either got to read it before starting to write or changed his initial plan.

The production time for a one-shot Annual like this is somewhere around 6 months, so it would have worked out about right for him to be just starting the writing when the first interview was written. Millar writes multiple drafts of his scripts, but I think the general details (ID of the traitor, the Liberators, the main concepts in the end) have been set for quite some time.

I'll read it and still be excited when issue 12 comes outs.

Definately gonna read it !!
when did the last ultimates comic come out ??
You would have to be crazy to keep yourself waiting !!
Grab the goodness while its there you never know when you will see it again !!!!

Gonna read, I heard it was just a cross country trip with Falcon and Cap so it shouldn't be too much of a spoiler.

leather_w0lf said:
Well, it shipped today so I'm waiting for the spoilers.

Only spoilers I've seen so far are for New Avengers #23. The day is yet young, though....

Latest posts

Back