Ultimates V2 #9 discussion (SPOILERS!!)

"Deus Ex Machina" literally means "God in the Machine".

It is a storytelling term.

It comes from Ancient Greece where the playwright would end up with all his characters frenetically caught in an exciting and tense position with no way out (like all good stories) - then two actors (playing Apollo and Athena or what not) on pulleys are descended onto the stage (hence "Deus Ex Machina") and they reward the righteous and punish the villainous. Then, the story resolved, they return to Mount Olympus.

It is a term used to describe the greatest sin of a writer - to end your story on coincidence, on random chance, ending your story by removing all consequence and responsibility from your characters.

Bendis does it all the time.

(It's worth noting, that it is possible to make a deus ex machina ending actually work - it is however, extremely difficult to do. But that's a lesson for another time.)

Steve GMan said:
Perhaps some sort of test of humility by Odin like in 616, when he was trapped in the body of Donald Blake.
Don't forget Thor is all about humility..(like being turned into a female during that Earth X thing). I would not expect Loki to survive after this storyline, he just has to much coming to him.

I really liked this issue.

After re-reading all of the books together, I really do feel the grand atmosphere that this series gives out.

Also, I guess i'm not as observant as I thought, because I didn't even notice Nick's arm being ripped off. Not untill I read the first page here.

I must open my eyes more.

Latest posts

Back