Ultimates V2 #9 discussion (SPOILERS!!)

I finally got this (and all my other) issue in the mail, and I liked it a lot, thought probably more if I hadn't read the spoilers out of frustration a long time ago.

I like how much Millar used Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, establishing them as real heroes that are suitably able to take down any threat that comes their way, something I had really only seen when Wanda gives Pietro the motivation to take down Thor.

Overall, an amazing issue. I felt bad for Thor, Loki's a dick, and I'm very curious to see what happens next.

One could question the fact that Quicksilver disasembles a giant robot without super strength OR a screwdriver. Sure, he's fast, but that doesn't mean he's MacGyver.

Korinthian said:
One could question the fact that Quicksilver disasembles a giant robot without super strength OR a screwdriver. Sure, he's fast, but that doesn't mean he's MacGyver.

They're actually made out of Megablocks.

ProjectX2 said:
Sorry, I'm too lazy to join them:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/ProjectX2/anti1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/ProjectX2/anti2.jpg

EDIT: Posted links instead of pictures, because they're massive.

There we go:

AntiUltimates.jpg

I liked how they made this cover completely inconspicuous and then dropped the big bomb on us.

Also, Quicksilver got taken out by that fake Thor's lightning? Wasn't he hit 103 times by the very same thing while trying to take down Thor? If he doesn't stand back up after this one, I'm gonna be mad.

Korinthian said:
Also, Quicksilver got taken out by that fake Thor's lightning? Wasn't he hit 103 times by the very same thing while trying to take down Thor? If he doesn't stand back up after this one, I'm gonna be mad.

He was down until Wanda gave him the motivation to get back up. Let's see what happens to him this time around.

And on a side note, I had no idea Darth Maul was a communist.

Steve GMan said:
He was down until Wanda gave him the motivation to get back up. Let's see what happens to him this time around.

And on a side note, I had no idea Darth Maul was a communist.

It's Darth RED! And we think he might be arab. We'll see.

Concerning Quiksilver, maybe Thor wasn't trying to kill him and didn't blast him full power back in issue 5. Plus, this time there were flying around after the blast so that could be a tad more hurtful if Quiksilver ends up projected agaianst a wall and then gets a car on top of him. Finally, we don't know how hard he has been hit.

So, it would be just as easy to justify a grievous wound as it would a minor burn in next issue. Hard to say. This is essentially a mini-cliffhanger and it could easily go either way. How severely wounded Quicksilver is depends on how much 'screen time' Millar wants to give to the other character. If Cap is busting out and getting several panel worth of action in next issue, if Hawkeye stage an escape or if Millar wants to give a lot of development to the anti-ultimate crew, then you have to expect that quicksilver will be more severely wounded since it will be the perfect excuse to take him in the bakcground for a while. Since it is highly likely that one or more of these three scenario will occur, I'm gonna assume Quicksilver is at least incapacitated for the a little while. I doubt it will last more than one issue, though.

Last edited:
Perhaps getting hit by lightning will give him the power to run faster than light.

Korinthian said:
Perhaps getting hit by lightning will give him the power to run faster than light.

And then he can change his name to Barry and start wearing red spandex and call himself "The Scarlet Speedster";). Of course, that might piss Wanda off and ol' Barry could find himself sleeping in the cold for a few days.

Entropy said:
And then he can change his name to Barry and start wearing red spandex and call himself "The Scarlet Speedster";).

Stop re-telling my jokes :p

Pretty sure that big lug is abomination (it looks the abomination design for the Hulk game that came out a few months back). Is Barron Zemo, Enchantress, or the Executioner ultimized yet? If not those would be some of my other guess the the other characters. Seems like the masters of evil from 616 would be repeated in the ultimates. A mix of Asgardian and earth powerhouses/spies is what defined the MOE only seems fitting we would in the ultimates.

Perhaps the Hulk will come to save the day again like in Ultimates 1... But then the Wolverine vs Hulk mini wouldn't make sense cause then they would know the Hulk existed... Or perhaps Spidey will save everyone. They said they took down the X-Men and the FF, but not Spidey!

I am still confused about Thor. If he truly is a Norse God, why are his power's gone without that belt? Why can't we just step in and out of reality like Loki?

Also... I just realized this. In Ultimate Secret, Black Widow says to Hawkeye "That is my future husband you're talking about." After he makes a jab about Tony. But Secret takes place before Ultimates 2, doesn't it? Or was that Ultimate Nightmare? I am lost... There are too many minis right now that don't seem to fit together, lol.

Last edited:
sskento said:
I am still confused about Thor. If he truly is a Norse God, why are his power's gone without that belt? Why can't we just step in and out of reality like Loki?

Perhaps some sort of test of humility by Odin like in 616, when he was trapped in the body of Donald Blake.

sskento said:
Hello, sskento. Welcome to Ultimate Central! :)

This is a question that's still being discussed, and I'm not sure there are any real answers in Ultimates2 just yet. I'm guessing (and it's just a guess, mind you) that stepping in and out of reality is Loki's ability or speciality, just as manipulating rain and lightning is supposed to be Thor's ability. In Norse mythology, Loki was also something of a shape-shifter and a bringer of chaos. (He certainly has lived up to the "chaos" part of his reputation!)

There are several possibilities here: That Mjolnir and the belt really are invented technology and the source of Thor's powers. (The upshot of this is that delusional tendancies seem to run heavily in the Golman family, as Gunnar proclaims himself to be a Norse god in Ultimates2 Issue 9. :wink: ) That Thor genuinely believes he needs the hammer and belt to command the lightning, and it's that belief that makes him helpless. That Mjolnir and the belt are the genuine articles, and that there is some sort of "magical rule" that says Thor must have them in order to control the weather. (The "rule" might be a result of Loki messing with reality, for example.) I'm sure there are other possibilities as well.

Also... I just realized this. In Ultimate Secret, Black Widow says to Hawkeye "That is my future husband you're talking about." After he makes a jab about Tony. But Secret takes place before Ultimates 2, doesn't it? Or was that Ultimate Nightmare? I am lost... There are too many minis right now that don't seem to fit together, lol.
It's my understanding that Ultimate Secret does take place before Ultimates2. If you want to stretch a point a little, Black Widow refers to Tony Star as "my future ex-husband" during the scene at the White House at the end of the Homeland Security arc in Ultimates, so she's already thinking along those lines at that point, before the events in Ultimate Secret.

someone might have said this already, but i think it's brilliant how they made sure the 3 big hitters were down before they tried to attack. Thor, Cap, and Tony. It was very smart. I somehow see those 3 cleaning up the mess, cause the Hulk would make no sense. And it'd be repetitive if the Hulk saved the day again.

sskento said:
someone might have said this already, but i think it's brilliant how they made sure the 3 big hitters were down before they tried to attack. Thor, Cap, and Tony. It was very smart. I somehow see those 3 cleaning up the mess, cause the Hulk would make no sense. And it'd be repetitive if the Hulk saved the day again.
I diffinitely don't want to see Somneone conme out the blue to save the day. I want the Big 3 to over come their current restrictions and face their challenge, that would be more exciting

sskento said:

Hulk is blatantly going to show up and kick Abomination's ***.

He won't be a deus ex machina, he'll just be a fun ride. :D

Latest posts

Back