UXM #61 Discussion (Spoilers)

I think he means that they are comparing it on the wrong level. Where some artists pride themselves on realism, Immonen works with different criteria to draw successful artwork.

It's two different artforms. Mind you, I understand that they are comic artists and their priority is to draw a story, but there are a lot of different ways this can be done. Yes, I do believe some artists go for the more realistic drawing style, but there are others, like Immonen, that make it more obvious these are just fictional characters by, say, exagerrating bodily features moreso than Kubert. It's like you can't compare Picaso to a person that does portraits.

Strangefate... Take a good look at the Magneto splash. Do you wanna tell me what chess piece he's holding in his hands? ;)

I just read this and it's really good. I like the ending. Can't wait to see what else happens. Plus that would be badass if Spider-Man shows up.

P.S. I like the artwork

The arc is shaping up to be the best in the series, at least in my opinion. If all goes well and all of the characters are played correctly, Vaughan will top Millar as the best on the title. :) Spider-Man showing up isn't a bad idea, either, although it would be a little odd.

I'm actually changing my mind about this issue. I thought it was real good, and, while Immonnen's art wasn't up to par, it was still pretty good.

What was the favor that Wolverine did for Fury? This may have been asked before.

Also, did anyone think of Dr. Strangelove when they read "There's no fighting in the Danger Room!"? :lol:

My favorite bit of art was the last page and also the part when Alex turns around to Jean-Paul, and he repeats, crying, "Get Ms. Frost!" It was quite realistic.

ultimatedjf said:
I'm actually changing my mind about this issue. I thought it was real good, and, while Immonnen's art wasn't up to par, it was still pretty good.

What was the favor that Wolverine did for Fury? This may have been asked before.

The favor was when Wolverine went and killed that mutant kid who's power apparently disintegrated all those around him. If I remember correctly it was UXM #41, though that could be wrong. Nevertheless, it was definitly in the New Mutants arc. It was also mentioned in USM during the Carnage arc (probably because Bendis wrote both).

Is it just me or is everyone else getting the feeling there will be major reprecussions for what Fury asked Wolverine to do? Telling Xavier, the person that is a mutant peace keeper, would probably begin to lobby for Fury's resognition.

Goodwill said:
Is it just me or is everyone else getting the feeling there will be major reprecussions for what Fury asked Wolverine to do? Telling Xavier, the person that is a mutant peace keeper, would probably begin to lobby for Fury's resognition.

I guess that depends on if it gets out. Did Wolverine tell anyone about it that I'm not remembering? I think Wolverine is pretty good at keeping secrets, so him blabbing his mouth off doesn't seem likely. And besides, Fury and Logan have a mutual respect and debt to each other: Fury to Wolverine for Logan sparing his life back in the Gulf War, Wolverine to Fury for helping to break him and the X-Men out of Weapon X. And now apparently Fury enlists Wolverine on these less-than-honorable missions to do what must be done, something the media-friendly Ultimates (well, not anymore after the Banner outing in Ultimates 2) couldn't pull off. Its probably likely Fury wanted as few people as possible to know about it, one of the reasons he used Wolverine (that and the fact that he was probably the only one who could even get close to the kid and kill him short of a tactical missile...and that would raise a lot of questions).

DIrishB said:
The favor was when Wolverine went and killed that mutant kid who's power apparently disintegrated all those around him. If I remember correctly it was UXM #41, though that could be wrong. Nevertheless, it was definitly in the New Mutants arc. It was also mentioned in USM during the Carnage arc (probably because Bendis wrote both).

Yeah, it was either #41 or #42. That issue will always be one of my favorites. I definitely remember shedding some tears at the end. :D

Anyways... When was it mentioned during Carnage? I totally don't remember that.

ultimatedjf said:
Yeah, it was either #41 or #42. That issue will always be one of my favorites. I definitely remember shedding some tears at the end. :D

Indeed, one of my all time favorite UXM issues ever, and it hardly featured any X-Men at all. It was a very well written and emotional story. Gotta hand it to Bendis on that one.

Anyways... When was it mentioned during Carnage? I totally don't remember that.

Right after Gwen is killed by the symbiote. When Peter comes home and all the police are at the house, a few of the cops are wondering what happened to Gwen. One of them mentions something about a whole town dying having similar instances. I'm almost positive this is what they were referring to.

DIrishB said:
Indeed, one of my all time favorite UXM issues ever, and it hardly featured any X-Men at all. It was a very well written and emotional story. Gotta hand it to Bendis on that one.

Right after Gwen is killed by the symbiote. When Peter comes home and all the police are at the house, a few of the cops are wondering what happened to Gwen. One of them mentions something about a whole town dying having similar instances. I'm almost positive this is what they were referring to.

Oh yeah, I definitely remember that cop saying that, and yes, I do think now that that's what he was talking about. As for that UXM issue, my Mom even read it (and liked it!)

I don't know whether this has been said yet, or picked up on, but in the previews to #62, Longshot is turned into a cat by Wanda (Scarlet Witch). Anyone think this is a bit suspicious, depending on what we already know about the cat...

Roguefan, I wish you had put that in the spoiler tags, as this is only related to issue 61, and I don't know anything about #62 yet (well know I do). But that's ok. :D

This isn't a speculation thread for the arc - try to stay on topic.

DIrishB said:

That was my initial reaction, anyway. What else could it be?

Latest posts

Back