UXM #61 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
THE ART IS ****ING AWFUL!!!!!!!!!

Great issue though. Starts with the preview we've seen. Already good stuff.

Next we get Kitty hunting down Bobby. She's furious. She finds Bobby in the Danger Room with the Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler who are coincidently battleing Magneto :roll: . This surprised me because usually Vaughan would add a nice cameo by some minor X-Villain... wonder why he didn't. Anyway, we learn Rogue's been emailing Bobby still.

We go to the Danger Room Control room where Jean and Scott are talking. Scott's sick of the kids and their stupid relationships (as am I) and we learn that he's had one girlfriend before Jean... Is it Lorna?

Chicago... Emma's Academy of Tomorrow. Lorna is welcoming new stupid Roberto Decosta. Northstar interrupts and informs her, Havok and Emma there's a situation downtown. Emma gives them permission to go and help out with the "community Service". While they're at the fire Polaris' powers go out of control and she kills two Firemen. SHIELD (Fury) is called and is talking with one of his agents about where they're going to keep her... informing us that the only cell available to hold a mutant with powers like hers is occupied.

Last Page is Magneto playing chess with himself and looking towards us saying, "Check". It's pretty ****in awesome.

Not the best issue but never bad. The arc is definitely going to be a winner. I can't wait until Immonen is gone.

I agree with you, the art was really bad this time, but collectively. Immonen wasn't entirely the problem. For some reason, I thought, at times the colorist was putting too much into a panek (For instance, Wolverine's face in the last panel of the preview pages) and, after that, the colors were too bright it seemed like. The inker wasn't bad, just got a little too think here and there. I do agree with you this time, normally I would stick up for my boy Stuart! :)

This arc started off on the right foot, I just thought there was too much to take in for one issue. We got Sunspot, Havok, Polaris, Northstar, Emma, etc. all back in one issue. We even got a hologram image of Dugan, who hasn't been seen since New Mutants... He's been a cool character, let's hope we see more of him this issue. The conflict between the team members is very obviously what is going to drive this arc, which isn't a bad thing, it's just been seen a lot lately. Also, I really like the originality of what Vaughan's got going on here... They want to lock Lorna up, but the cell that she has to stay in is one of a kind? Awesome! No joke, I really like that concept. I have a feeling when she's put in there, Magneto will use her to get out and reek havoc in the UU again... SWEET!

Storm's got another new costume.

Fury was, for some reason, flying over Genosha.

Mystique will likely be elaborated on as the arc goes on.

Also, more letter pages... They are making up for lost time, huh? Awesome!

The art really disapointed this time. But it was still ok. Love seeing all the cameo guys back, and again by name only (at least i didnt see him) we get Ramsey mentioned.

But now we see what the accident was by Lorna. But what makes me curious is why her powers spazzed out there all of a sudden. Im thinking somethings up with that, but we'll see.

And of course I gotta mention about Bobby and Kitty. I also think all the fighting is just too much now, but at least its like what we normally see, where someone still has some feelings, or is trying to get some closure. But damn, that was one sucker punch!

Cool issue overall. Cant wait for part 2!

Perhaps the neglegance on Emma's part was to blame for Lorna's mishap. I wouldn'd doubt she's got something to do with it. Throughout the scene with the Academy of Tomorrow, I was thinking something is up with that school and not even Havok knows. Emma didn't call her students Hellions for nothing, right? We'll see in part 2, I guess.

I like Immonen. I'm looking forward to this trade.

Agreed about Immonen - his art in this issue is bad. Not quite enough to ruin the book, but that's more a testament to Vaughan's writing.

Vaughan is very good at creating different scenes and having lots of things going on in a book. Solid job again - I told Ice that this is shaping up to be even better than The Tempest, which I thought is the best UXM story overall.

I also took the segway to Lorna as meaning that she was Scott's one previous girlfriend. It wouldn't surprise me if the only reason Alex is with her is because Scott once was.

I don't know if is supposed to be implied that Magneto was manipulating Lorna, but if so I'm puzzled as to how he did it if so.

UltimateE said:
I don't know if is supposed to be implied that Magneto was manipulating Lorna, but if so I'm puzzled as to how he did it if so.
If he did, here's my theory:

Remember that Lorna can "feel" the magnetic feild and all that. Lorna probably has such a powerful feel herself that Magneto felt it, and manipulated her, which would also help with the solit to part 2 "just as manipulated in his cell.....etc.".

I love Immonen but his art sucked big time this issue. :( I mean, there's one or two panels where Kitty looked like a dude, and check out the fat guy on the front lawn of Emma's school. :? Anyways, the story is awesome and I love the letters page being back and all. But who is 616 Ramsey? They said in issue 54 that he won 74 games on Jeopardy which is kind of stealing Ken Jennings's light, cuz thats the exact number of games HE won.

B/B-

But I'm leaning more towards the B

UltimateE said:
Agreed about Immonen - his art in this issue is bad. Not quite enough to ruin the book, but that's more a testament to Vaughan's writing.

I agree, I wasn't liking the art of this issue when I first saw the preview pages, but once I started reading the actual issue today I got so engrossed in the story and all the mutant cameos at Emma's school (Roberto Dacosta, Ultimate Sunfire or Sunspot-whatever his name was in 616, and the Doug Ramsey mention again) that I didn't even really mind the art after the first couple pages.

Vaughan is very good at creating different scenes and having lots of things going on in a book. Solid job again - I told Ice that this is shaping up to be even better than The Tempest, which I thought is the best UXM story overall.

Also have to agree, I'm loving this arc already and we're only 1 issue in...I'm really gonna miss Vaughn on this title, every arc he's done has been at least good. I would take him over Singer any day, but oh well.

I also took the segway to Lorna as meaning that she was Scott's one previous girlfriend. It wouldn't surprise me if the only reason Alex is with her is because Scott once was.

No doubt about it, Cyclops was referring to Lorna. This is another device to increase the animosity between the brothers, and especially Havok's jealousy of Cyclops.

I think the "Check" Magneto said is in direct response to him somehow manipulating Lorna's powers. It'll be interesting to find out how Vaughn spins this one out.

DIrishB said:
Also have to agree, I'm loving this arc already and we're only 1 issue in...I'm really gonna miss Vaughn on this title, every arc he's done has been at least good. I would take him over Singer any day, but oh well.
Don't worry too much, since Vaughan will be co-writing when Singer comes on.

Northstar is Back!!!!! :D

(but his hair sucks... yeah)

But this is definitely shaping up into another Superhero Group... I mean, Ms. Frost thinks it should be all one way, but I definitely see her school becoming more of an X-Men not affiliated with the Government. I mean, maybe this will one day be Ultimate X-Factor: Havok, Polaris, Northstar, Sunspot, Cypher, and probably others.

I'd love to see an interesting take on Cypher for once... yeah. Maybe Vaughn will steal my idea of hooking up Jean-Paul with Doug Ramsey... That'd be cool.

However, we're going to need more explaination about how Cyke knew Polaris, and what the point of the Hellions are.

(And by the way, if Marvel kills Northstar again, i'm gonna be pissed)

Something else - it was great seeing Vaughan bring all of the secondary mutants at the new school, but - I'm sorry - as good as Vaughan is (and this isn't totally his fault) Ultimate Emma Frost is just waaaaaaaaaaay too much of a departure from 616. It's not even like she's based on 616 Emma Frost.

UltimateE said:
Something else - it was great seeing Vaughan bring all of the secondary mutants at the new school, but - I'm sorry - as good as Vaughan is (and this isn't totally his fault) Ultimate Emma Frost is just waaaaaaaaaaay too much of a departure from 616. It's not even like she's based on 616 Emma Frost.
Nope.

Its like I said before:

616 Emma is the way that Ult. Xavier is acting

and

616 Xavier is the way that Ult. Emma is acting.

UltimateE said:
And I don't think 616 Gwen Stacy was an unpopular bipolar girl with a hard-on for confronting bullies, but look what we got there.

Latest posts

Back