Vaughan & Immonen to stay on Ultimate X-Men through issue 65

UltimateCharlieSheen

[IMGL]http://ultimatecentral.com/images/news-vaughan.jpg[/IMGL] "I'm thrilled to announce that Stuart Immonen and I will be doing the next twelve issues of Ultimate X-Men together (#54-65). I'm very proud of my first two arcs, but I feel like I've really hit my stride with Stuart. It's tough to compete with the likes of Whedon, Milligan and Claremont, but we're trying to do something that will be completely different from those books (for hardcore X-fans who think they've seen everything), while also staying true to the spirit of the Ultimate Universe (for new readers discovering these classic characters for the first time). It's a tough tightrope to walk, but I think we're up to the challenge.

First up will be our very different take on Longshot (no aliens, no inevitable Dazzler romance, no bowtie-clad Arcade), followed by some shorter stories that will introduce a few all-new concepts to the Ultimate Universe. And for our final arc, an action-packed epic that will tie together a lot of everyone's favorite elements from Millar and Bendis' runs for one spectacular new story I can't wait to tell. The next year of UXM's got it all (except Wolverine, who'll be "away on business" for the next five issues or so; I think readers get more than enough of him everywhere else, and it's time to give some other muties the spotlight, no?)

Thankfully, all of my plans turned out to dovetail very nicely with the plans of Bryan Singer and screenwriters Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty, who I had a really cool meeting with several months ago in Los Angeles (crazy to be in the same room as the director of Usual Suspects!). Those guys and a top-secret artist will be taking over UXM immediately after the end of our run, and I'm going to stick around for at least their first few issues to lend a hand translating their ideas (which kick an unbelievable amount of ass) into comic form. I've read their outlines, and I can say with confidence that their run on UXM is going to put even X2 to shame."

From: http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/rage/index1.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
No Singer in 2005?
No exaggerated focus on Wolverine?
New concepts to the Ultimate Marvel Universe?
And one big story arc to end the year?

This has got to be, without a doubt, some of the best UXM news I've heard.

If Vaughn wasn't a man i'd marry him. As it is, i'm still tempted.

Praise the good lord

This man is a comics writting machine!

I'm just worried about the inevitable exclusive deal DC or Marvel will push on him. Either way we'll get shorted great comics.

Damn, that is even better then last night's s*x!!! *Phew*

Man, I haven't heard better comic-news any time recently!!!

Caduceus said:
If Vaughn wasn't a man i'd marry him.

Get in line buddy!

Seriously, I am so glad this is happening. I don't mid Wolverine being gone for an arc or so. That's not too bad. But I am glad that Vaughun is staying on. I'm just....overwhelmed with tears at the mometn, excuse me.

*Runs to the other room*
OH HELL YEAH! ROCK ON! THAT'S WHAT I'M %#*%$$ TALKING ABOUT!

*Uh hum....sorry about that. :eek:

You guys, you don't have any idea how happy I am. Your words and mine can't completely tell you how overjoyed I am about this news... It's like a heavy burden has been lifted from my shoulders! I have full confidence in Vaughan's work as opposed to my doubt in Singer's and I know that each story will be something of an epic for the likes of the Ultimate X-Men! This seems so great I can't even begin to imagine what better thing will happen to me today! :)

He really seems to be doing a lot for this title. Vaughan has a really good sense of whether or not certain things need to be reinvented, whether or not his story is valid for the title's growth, and so forth. I think that Marvel should pay much more attention to him than a lot of the guys they have writing for him, namely Millar and Bendis. I'm being serious, too.

I agree, this is fantastic news! Congrats to Immonen and Vaughan :D

I'm still drooling with excitement. OK, if that doesn't make sense, it's because I'm so excited about this, that I'm not thinking straight.

*Quickly says:
GO BUY SPIDER-MAN 2 ON DVD, EVERYWHERE TOMORROW!
Oh yeah...it's on VHS too.

Last edited:
WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! Where's Oliver Coipel going to fit in this? Wasn't he going to work on UXM sometime next year?

*Quickly says:

They'l probably push him back to after Vaughn's run or maybe just stick him in as a filler story before the big arc

icemastertron said:
WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! Where's Oliver Coipel going to fit in this? Wasn't he going to work on UXM sometime next year?

*Quickly says:

YEAH wasnt he supposed to do something on UXM. I mean I did see some of the artwork on the YOUNG GUNS sketch book. Maybe he'll do some of the covers and some prequels to story arcs.

*Quicky says:
GONNA GO IN A 2 HOURS IN A HALF TO GET SPIDER-MAN 2 ON DVD. Screw VHS.

I thought he was only going to do some covers. Also, that was just a rumor anyway, I never heard any fact to that.

Rumor? It was posted on this site in the news section before the new version of the site was put up. That's how I know about it.

It is possible that there will be other new Ultimate titles coming up over the next few years and these artists/writers could be attached to them.

longshotjimlee said:
It is possible that there will be other new Ultimate titles coming up over the next few years and these artists/writers could be attached to them.

*cough*Ultimate Iron Man*cough*

And he wouldn't be the first UXM writer to not write UXM - remember Mack's arc about Wolverine's wife?

Latest posts

Back