Villains that deserve their own story arcs

The Overlord

It seems like Gobby, Ock, Kingpin and the symbiotes get the lion share of the story arcs. it seems like the other villains get supporting roles at best or are treated like jokes at worse. So which villains do you think deserve an arc, that aren't Gobby, Ock, Kingpin or happens to be a symbiote. Here is my choices:

Ultimate Vulture: This guy is been waste. Give him some balls and develop his character and I think you could build a small arc around him. He's an ex-SHIELD agent, he should be more dangerous and clever then he has been written as.

Ultimate Sandman: Here is a character Bendis almost never uses. heck build an arc around him, perhaps even make him a sympathetic character.

Ultimate Electro: Here is another character who I think could use his arc. Give him a more defined personality, perhaps have an arc where he is working for someone but he is main enemy not the employer. Bullseye has often been used like that in Daredevil.

Ultimate Mysterio: Intorduce him as villain, since he already had a kinda introduction in the movie arc, it would be easy to intordce him as a valid villain.

Ultimate Chameleon: Introduce him, Spidey needs more villains that he just punch out.

Ultimate lizard: Let Curt out of prison and for God's sake make him more sympathetic.

Last edited:
Ultimate Sandman: Here is a character Bendis almost never uses. heck build an arc around him, perhaps even make him a sympathetic character.

This could happen soon. With them adapting the game soon it means we will know where the game fits. In the game Ultimate Beetle stole a vile of sandman dna/formula so he could return soon.

This could happen soon. With them adapting the game soon it means we will know where the game fits. In the game Ultimate Beetle stole a vile of sandman dna/formula so he could return soon.

That's a lot of speculation, plus I want arcs where the villains have character moments, rather than just "Beetle steals sandman's DNA and now Spidey has fight an army of mindless Sandman clones made by an evil genius trying to take over the world."

another villain thread... hmm...

Yep, I like villains. Besides this is a different angle than previous discussions.

Last edited:
I think there is a ton of things you can do some of these villains besides using them as cliched hench men.

Like what if Electro was kidnapped by corporate villain (say maybe Stane or perhaps an Ultimate of Sunset Bain) and hooked up a generator. The generator clean power to nYC, but leaves Electro constantly in pain. Spidey discovers this has to choose whether to sae Electro or not, you can even have them kinda team up against said corporate villain.

I think there is a ton of things you can do some of these villains besides using them as cliched hench men.

Like what if Electro was kidnapped by corporate villain (say maybe Stane or perhaps an Ultimate of Sunset Bain) and hooked up a generator. The generator clean power to nYC, but leaves Electro constantly in pain. Spidey discovers this has to choose whether to sae Electro or not, you can even have them kinda team up against said corporate villain.

That arc actually sounds like it could work, I'd read it...

i kinda wanna see a arc with characters who arent made of flesh and bones, gimmie a three villain battle of Swarm, Sandman, and Hydroman...Spidey wouldn't know where to hit...(i know swarm is dead, but a guy can dream, can't he)

Ult. Sandman would be cool. Lizard also. As far as I know, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, but they seem to just refer to a meeting between Spidey and Lizard but we have never actually seen it.

Ult. Sandman would be cool. Lizard also. As far as I know, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, but they seem to just refer to a meeting between Spidey and Lizard but we have never actually seen it.

They met in ultimate team ups. Its still a criminally underdeveloped relationship.

Also I would mind if Ultimate Sandman became a sympathetic character like he was in the movies and to an extent the 616 comics, Spidey has enough greedy stupid thug villains already.

Also Spidey needs more villains who have no real powers, but are threats because of their brains (Chameleon, Mysterio, etc.)

I know I hate him as a complete joke.

It was funny at first, but now just ridiculous. Bendis have really ****ed up a lot of potentially great stories, both in Peter's personal life and costumed life. We could have gotten such amazing stories from the universe that was established, but everything just got **** all over it instead.

****in Bendis

Ultimate Vulture: This guy is been waste. Give him some balls and develop his character and I think you could build a small arc around him. He's an ex-SHIELD agent, he should be more dangerous and clever then he has been written as.

Ultimate Electro: Here is another character who I think could use his arc. Give him a more defined personality, perhaps have an arc where he is working for someone but he is main enemy not the employer. Bullseye has often been used like that in Daredevil.

Ultimate Mysterio: Intorduce him as villain, since he already had a kinda introduction in the movie arc, it would be easy to intordce him as a valid villain.

Ultimate Chameleon: Introduce him, Spidey needs more villains that he just punch out.

Ultimate lizard: Let Curt out of prison and for God's sake make him more sympathetic.

Ultimate Vulture: Agreed. Sadly, the Triskelion is already somewhat of a cardboard walls prison and since it was only a few issues ago that Vulture was returned there, I want him to stay, for now.

Ultimate Sandman: Should be a major, explored character of Symbiote War or the one after that. Hopefully Beetle will figure prominentley enough to allow Flint's return.

Ultimate Electro: Leave him alone. An arc could be fine down the road, but he's been prominent enough for the level of villain he is.

Ultimate Mysterio: Only if it's Bruce campbell, as alluded to in Hollywood. Hell, I would read a Bruce Campbell as Ultimate Mysterio ongoing.

Ultimate Chameleon: Switch that with the Jackal and you have a running subplot already.

Ultimate Lizard: Should be more like a force of nature than anything. transformations should be out of his control and often, but always leave Conners deciding he can control it, and thus, leaving him in NYC. He went on a huge downward spiral in Carnage and it needs ramifications on his return.

(My Own Choice)
Ultimate Man-Thing: Ben Urich's search for Man-Thing was a constantly mentioned subplot in the early days, but seems to have been dropped. I haven't read any stories with Man-Thing other than the UMTU one, to tell the truth, but it seems like he could use a modern take.

Ultimate Vulture: Agreed. Sadly, the Triskelion is already somewhat of a cardboard walls prison and since it was only a few issues ago that Vulture was returned there, I want him to stay, for now.

Then have him escape in transfer or have him killed and replaced with Toomes. Vulture should be impressive and if he has to do so at expense of the trisk, so be it. Getting punked out, of camera is unforgivable. Heck they could transfer him to rykers because he has no powers and they need the space and then he escapes.

Ultimate Sandman: Should be a major, explored character of Symbiote War or the one after that. Hopefully Beetle will figure prominentley enough to allow Flint's return.

Now see I want him to get his arc, rather than him being a bit player in some major event. scorpion has a bit player in the Clone saga and because that he was made into a complete throwaway character.

Like Sandman is own off beat arc, give him a daughter like in the movie. If Sandman is supposed to be creep, have him obsessed with stealing his daughter away from his girlfriend he used to beat up. Spidey has to fight a foe far more powerful then himself to protect an innocent kid from her own thuggish father. Smaller character building arcs are better for these villains, instead of always being bit players.

Ultimate Electro: Leave him alone. An arc could be fine down the road, but he's been prominent enough for the level of villain he is.

Yeah, but he has only been a bit player than a star. What do we know about him besides the fact he is crude, stupid thug? He needs to have his character explored beyond that.

Ultimate Mysterio: Only if it's Bruce campbell, as alluded to in Hollywood. Hell, I would read a Bruce Campbell as Ultimate Mysterio ongoing.

Cute, but seriously, I think there should be serious Ultimate Mysterio.

Ultimate Chameleon: Switch that with the Jackal and you have a running subplot already.

Why? Chameleon is a classic Ditko villain, Jackal was a one shot villain from the 70s, who became a crappy Joker rip off in the 90s. Chameleon is a far better character than Jackal. He has something most Spidey villains lack, subtlety.

Ultimate Lizard: Should be more like a force of nature than anything. transformations should be out of his control and often, but always leave Conners deciding he can control it, and thus, leaving him in NYC. He went on a huge downward spiral in Carnage and it needs ramifications on his return.

Agreed, I'm just unhappy that Bendis made a sympathetic villain like Lizard into an irresponsible jerk.

(My Own Choice)
Ultimate Man-Thing: Ben Urich's search for Man-Thing was a constantly mentioned subplot in the early days, but seems to have been dropped. I haven't read any stories with Man-Thing other than the UMTU one, to tell the truth, but it seems like he could use a modern take.

That's a cool idea, though he is not really villain, though Spidey and him could have a fight because of a misunderstanding.

I know I hate him as a complete joke.

Now see there two things you can do with Shocker, upgrade his tech so he is more of threat to Spidey or expanded his character so he is a lovable loser instead of just a pathetic loser. But the joke has been worn out at this point.

They met in ultimate team ups. Its still a criminally underdeveloped relationship.

Also I would mind if Ultimate Sandman became a sympathetic character like he was in the movies and to an extent the 616 comics, Spidey has enough greedy stupid thug villains already.

Also Spidey needs more villains who have no real powers, but are threats because of their brains (Chameleon, Mysterio, etc.)

But isn't the point of the UU to be different?

Besides, Ultimate Sandman attacked his Girlfriend, he's scum.
Sympathetic could work for shocker.....besides, spiedy already has his fair chair of sympathetic villains too.

Personally, i like to see more of ultimate beetle.

Now see there two things you can do with Shocker, upgrade his tech so he is more of threat to Spidey or expanded his character so he is a lovable loser instead of just a pathetic loser. But the joke has been worn out at this point.

I know, but I don't think either of those completely fit him. I dunno, I've always liked the idea of him as a professional safe cracker who could be a really good engineer but doesn't want that kind of life.

But isn't the point of the UU to be different?

Besides, Ultimate Sandman attacked his Girlfriend, he's scum.
Sympathetic could work for shocker.....besides, spiedy already has his fair chair of sympathetic villains too.

Personally, i like to see more of ultimate beetle.

So under developed villains is different? No, that's just lazy writing. Electro is already a scummy thug, so Sandman is a scummy thug with sand powers. It seems like personalities are exactly the same, crude, stupid, boorish thugs. its kinda boring when they are the same like that.They can always do a minor retcon on that.

If sandman is just a scummy thug, give him a hook, that makes him different from the other scummy thugs out there. Give him the daughter he had movie and make him one of those bad parents that try to steal their kids away from their ex

How is ultimate shocker sympathetic, he is just a loser, his life was ruined by his own stupidity, not because of circumstances outside of his control or he was screwed over by someone else. I don' feel sorry for him, I feel contempt for him. Compare him to say Mr. Freeze or Two-Face, Shocker seems like a moron instead of a hard case.

Frankly not many USM villains are sympathetic, Gobby, Ock, Venom and Kingpin are psychopaths while Electro, Sandman, Vulture, Shocker are just greedy thugs. Scorpion and Carnage are useless throwaway characters, they aren't defined enough for me to feel sorry for them. Connors is a irresponsible jerk in the UU. The only villain I felt sorry for was Hobgoblin and he's dead now .

I know, but I don't think either of those completely fit him. I dunno, I've always liked the idea of him as a professional safe cracker who could be a really good engineer but doesn't want that kind of life.

That can work in the 616 universe, because someone could write him as a thrill seeker villain with a code ethics, but those are the only two options for him the UU. He is too pathetic too work like that in the UU.

Last edited:
At first, i thought this thread was called Villains that deserve their own threads.

Which might actually be interesting.

Latest posts

Back