Vol 16 : Deadpool. *spoilers*

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Ok we have threads for issues and annuals , But why not the TPBs? I know I can not be the only one who buys it in TPB not issues. I only say this beacuse I'm sure people who read USM issues feel differently. and e.g of this = vol1 , It's great and imo the best, People who bought issues however often complained about how long it took to see him in costume.

Spider-Man teams up with his new girlfriend - the X-Men's Kitty Pryde, who gets a new super-hero identity for when she's not hanging with her mutant mates! Plus: Meet the dangerous Ultimate Deadpool - and the Ultimate Reavers! It's mutant action, with Spidey caught in the middle! This title collects "Ultimate Spider-Man", numbered 91-96, and "Annual", numbered 2.

I personally think this was strong book. Not the best but it's up there. First lets start with the first half. Deadpool arc. I loved this. People were right when they said Deadpool was cool. A man who hates mutants and super powered people so much he would become a cyborg. That is just cool.

I liked the idea that this was been seen all over the world. People download it to their Ipood. Nice touch. To me that proves that the world hates mutants and I thought that was some cool story telling.

I laughed at the "hello kitty" line along with other lines. It was nice. It was like silver sable arc was kind of lind a tradtional spidey story. They this comes along and they phase slowly from traditional to just fantastic.

Also go Aunt may! She's moving on and I found it funny when she phoned to say she was not spending the night.

The second half Morbiu. This is my first comic with Morbius in it and I have to say I liked it. I only remember him from "plasma draining vampire with suckers on hands" from 90s cartoon. So I got a kick out of seeing him as a real vampie

One question you guys might be able to answer , was the wolf Ultimate Man-Wolf?

Peter telling M.J he didn't love kitty surprised me then when those two had their little scene about how he's seen things he shouldn't , I loved it. I'm getting a great will they / won't they vibe from it as well as the feeling they were destined to be together eventually

I loved seeing Morbius tell Spidey to grow the **** up. That to me was just cool.

The annual was cool too. Daredevil comes across to me anyway as a prick. The way he acts to Spider-man been a hero. Considering spider-man has beat green goblin , doc ock , shocker , Venom , Kingpin , R.H.I.N.O , Deadpool and more. Who has Daredevil faced in Ultimate universe half has good them?

I have to say I absolutely LOVE the ending. "laughing himself to sleep" Showing how everyone sees kingpin as the heartless ******* but he has feelings like the rest of us and seeing him at the end of his bed I actually thought Poor kingpin

I give this a 4.5 out of 5

Just waiting now for clone saga kbk to get here :D

Re: Vol 16 : Deadpool. *spoliers*

4.5 outta 5 for Ultimate Deadpool?

I hope E bans you on principle alone. :noway:

Well, Deadpool sucked and the Annual sucked. I guess I have no major complaints about Morbius except how the heck was Ben urich cured?

I'll chime in with SSJmole here and admit it: I too liked the Ultimate Deadpool arc. I suspect it is because I have absolutely no love for, attachment to, or preconcieved notions about 616 Deadpool. He made a bad-*** villain, caused a cool team-up, brought back references to one of my favorite arcs of UXM (Most Dangerous Game) and managed to capture the whole X-team. Fun story in my book.

I actually felt somewhat let down by the Morbius story. I want there to be some greater Vampire mystery going on here (along with a scientific, non-supernaturl source) that ties together the unsatisfactory snippets we get here and in UMTU.

I did love the Annual.

Ok we have threads for issues and annuals , But why not the TPBs? I know I can not be the only one who buys it in TPB not issues.
You're not. I tend to buy the trades rather than the singles, too. Fewer commercials, for one thing. :)

Also go Aunt may! She's moving on and I found it funny when she phoned to say she was not spending the night.
I like the way Aunt May is portrayed throughout the USM series. She's a good, strong supporting character.

One question you guys might be able to answer , was the wolf Ultimate Man-Wolf?
I don't think so. The "wolf" appeared to be either another vampire, or some other sort of demonic-looking creature that could change forms.

I have to say I absolutely LOVE the ending. "laughing himself to sleep" Showing how everyone sees kingpin as the heartless ******* but he has feelings like the rest of us and seeing him at the end of his bed I actually thought Poor kingpin
I'd be a lot more sympathetic if this man hadn't built his fortune on crime, the drug trade, and bunch of other activities that basically cause and exploit human suffering. But this story did kind of humanize him.

I thought the annual was all right, and it set up the Ultimate Knights arc pretty well. The one puzzling thing I found in it was how Frank Castle got his hands on his costume and a pair of guns immediately upon escaping from prison....

I give this a 4.5 out of 5

Just waiting now for clone saga kbk to get here :D

4.5 outta 5 for Ultimate Deadpool?

I hope E bans you on principle alone. :noway:
Well, maybe he'll ban me, too. I liked the arc, and could use the vacation. :D

I enjoyed both arcs, although I'm always a little leery when comics re-introduce stuff that's been wrapped up several issues ago (Krakoa Island, in this case). Still, I had no major issues with the Deadpool arc and thought it was fairly entertaining.

My biggest gripe about the Morbius arc was that it was far too short. I liked the characterization, and would also like an explanation of the cause and details of vampirism in the Ultimate Universe.

Well, Deadpool sucked and the Annual sucked. I guess I have no major complaints about Morbius except how the heck was Ben Urich cured?
My current theory (because, you know, I'm just such an expert on vampires... :roll: ) is that there is something different about Morbius that allows him to reverse the effects of vampirism before the disease reaches a certain point. (Conjecture on whether this is because of Morbius' original, pre-vampire genetic make-up, or the result of self-experimentation, which would tie into the 616 version of the character, if I recall correctly.) The "antibodies" would likely be passed through the saliva, just as the original infection is. I think it would be ironic if the poor guy could cure everyone else of the disease, but not himself.

You're not. I tend to buy the trades rather than the singles, too. Fewer commercials, for one thing. :)

:lol: There Is that. I like it beacuse it's an arc reading TPB or HBK (damn you volume 17 *shakes fist*) is like reading the full story and it makes one nice read.

I like the way Aunt May is portrayed throughout the USM series. She's a good, strong supporting character.

Me too. I like that she is not the old dumb (well not dumb so much as easily tricked) may from 616. Not read past this point so I'm looking forward to when she finds out he's spider-man as to how she will react.

I don't think so. The "wolf" appeared to be either another vampire, or some other sort of demonic-looking creature that could change forms.

Yeah that would make sense. I hope Man-wolf does get an Ultimate make over.

I'd be a lot more sympathetic if this man hadn't built his fortune on crime, the drug trade, and bunch of other activities that basically cause and exploit human suffering. But this story did kind of humanize him.

True he did but still I got the feeling he loved that cop. No matter how evil he is he does not deserve that. I hope we see punisher pay for it.

I thought the annual was all right, and it set up the Ultimate Knights arc pretty well. The one puzzling thing I found in it was how Frank Castle got his hands on his costume and a pair of guns immediately upon escaping from prison....

Ebay! :lol:

But seriously I would assume been on the run as he would be before he was arrested. He would have hiden bases like underground ect... Kind of like the Goblin bases.

My biggest gripe about the Morbius arc was that it was far too short. I liked the characterization, and would also like an explanation of the cause and details of vampirism in the Ultimate Universe.
I agree that's why I knocked off the 0.5 star. I think Morbius could of easily handled his own arc

You know, after rereading Deadpool, I didn't mind it. I mean, sure, Deadpool was more of a cocky ******* than a funny merc, but it was ok. What I didn't like was that he wasn't a mutant (At least, as far as we know). Morbius was meh, and the Annual was decent too. I think I'd probably give this whole trade a 2.5/5.

I thought the Deadpool arc went on for way too long, especially since it had so much wasted potential. There wasn't any Iceman drama, the X-men weren't written interestingly, the Reavers were boring, and Deadpool was wasted. It was just point A--> point B, with some fight scenes thrown in between. There weren't any twists or turns or emotional moments. It was just six issues of "meh" that seemed a thousand times worse than it was because 616 Deadpool is just that great.

The first issue, when Kitty and Peter were talking and fighting the Ringer, was great. It had drama, fighting, jokes and some of the better Bagley art. I'm so disappointed they broke up. I sympathize with Ultimate MJ, but she's just not all that interesting. However, I like that Bendis took the time to develop the relationship and get the readers invested in it, even though he was already planning to end it. I wish he'd put the same effort into the rest of the arc.

The annual was so disappointing. Why did the captain have to die? She had so much potential, both as a character and as an enemy. I'd rather see Peter face that betrayal, the Kingpin, a corrupt police department, and other superheroes who hate his guts in an entire arc. Deadpool should've been the annual and the Jean thing should've been the story arc.

I liked Morbius. It was good, well-paced, and finally! A character who agrees with me that Peter needs a good *****-slapping! I love you, Morbius. Please come back and be awesome some more.

It would be very characteristic of him to have secret stashes of weapons and equipment somewhere in New York. I could imagine some gear stashed behind a grate, a big storage locker, or an unmarked white van in a parking garage he could use to hide, heal or change in a pinch.

But seriously I would assume been on the run as he would be before he was arrested. He would have hiden bases like underground ect... Kind of like the Goblin bases.

Yeah, what he said.

My current theory (because, you know, I'm just such an expert on vampires... :roll: ) is that there is something different about Morbius that allows him to reverse the effects of vampirism before the disease reaches a certain point. (Conjecture on whether this is because of Morbius' original, pre-vampire genetic make-up, or the result of self-experimentation, which would tie into the 616 version of the character, if I recall correctly.) The "antibodies" would likely be passed through the saliva, just as the original infection is. I think it would be ironic if the poor guy could cure everyone else of the disease, but not himself.

I think Morbius' blood was used to cure Peter's six arms during that one storyline.

Last edited:

I think Morbius' blood was used to cure Peter's six arms during that one storyline.

wasn't it peter having 6 arms and him stealing peters dna that created him? (only saw cartoon)

Gah?!? What's going on here? What's with the sudden, overwhelming praise for USM's Deadpool arc?

Not counting everyone's favorite Clone Saga, it may be the worst story in USM. And that's saying a lot.

Gah?!? What's going on here? What's with the sudden, overwhelming praise for USM's Deadpool arc?

Not counting everyone's favorite Clone Saga, it may be the worst story in USM. And that's saying a lot.

Because It's good. Alot on here (Not saying everyone) but alot will bash it even if it is 100% perfect (not saying it is) beacuse it's USM and done by Bendis. I know after I've said this someone will respond with "that's not true i hate it coz it sux!!!" or something but whatever.

I read this today . I liked it. This been a comic book board and all I wanted to post what I though of it.

Last edited:

Because It's good. Alot on here (Not saying everyone) but alot will bash it even if it is 100% perfect (not saying it is) beacuse it's USM and done by Bendis. I know after I've said this someone will respond with "that's not true i hate it coz it sux!!!" or something but whatever.

I read this today . I liked it. This been a comic book board and all I wanted to post what I though of it.

That's fine. I respect that you manage to read through Deadpool without feeling a compulsion to stab your eyes out. Deadpool is one of my favorite characters (just look at my sign on name) and his ultimization didn't even vaguely resemble his 616 counterpart. Now, don't get me wrong; I'm all for Ultimate versions of characters being different, but imagine if in the beginning of USM, you find out that Peter Parker is a mutant-hating Cyborg? Because he's about as close to 616 Parker as he is 616 Wade Wilson. It was a joke of an ultimization. It took everything that was interesting and cool about Deadpool and just made him into a generic villain.

Even if it hadn't been Deadpool, but just some original character in a red suit, it still would have been a bad story. No meaningful character development or interaction whatsoever. Scott Summers may as well have just walked in and said "Hi, I'm Cyclops, the guy with laser beam eyes" because that's all he was in this story. Thats all anyone was. It was basically just Bendis showing us all of the jokes that he could have Spider-man make while having giant splash page fights sequences.

The whole world hates mutants. Yeah...I think we all know that. It's not a parallel to real world events anymore and the story is getting very tired. In fact, this praticular story has been told before. In fact...almost the same exact story has been told before. Replace Spider-man with Longshot and you have UXM's "Most dangerous Game" arc. Not just a similar arc, but, ending disregarded, the exact same story. Nothing about it was clever or original and nothing was even very cool. Really, the whole thing was just a dumb excuse for a crossover; Seriously, I think I could write a better story than this one. In fact, I think almost anyone here could write a better story. It almost made me feel physically ill, reading this.

And no one hates USM solely because of Bendis; They hate Bendis because of his USM.

That's fine. I respect that you manage to read through Deadpool without feeling a compulsion to stab your eyes out. Deadpool is one of my favorite characters (just look at my sign on name) and his ultimization didn't even vaguely resemble his 616 counterpart. Now, don't get me wrong; I'm all for Ultimate versions of characters being different, but imagine if in the beginning of USM, you find out that Peter Parker is a mutant-hating Cyborg? Because he's about as close to 616 Parker as he is 616 Wade Wilson. It was a joke of an ultimization. It took everything that was interesting and cool about Deadpool and just made him into a generic villain.

Even if it hadn't been Deadpool, but just some original character in a red suit, it still would have been a bad story. No meaningful character development or interaction whatsoever. Scott Summers may as well have just walked in and said "Hi, I'm Cyclops, the guy with laser beam eyes" because that's all he was in this story. Thats all anyone was. It was basically just Bendis showing us all of the jokes that he could have Spider-man make while having giant splash page fights sequences.

That's what I said.

Except Wade elaborated more.

And his rant was ten times awesomer.

The whole world hates mutants. Yeah...I think we all know that. It's not a parallel to real world events anymore and the story is getting very tired. In fact, this praticular story has been told before. In fact...almost the same exact story has been told before. Replace Spider-man with Longshot and you have UXM's "Most dangerous Game" arc. Not just a similar arc, but, ending disregarded, the exact same story. Nothing about it was clever or original and nothing was even very cool. Really, the whole thing was just a dumb excuse for a crossover; Seriously, I think I could write a better story than this one. In fact, I think almost anyone here could write a better story. It almost made me feel physically ill, reading this.

That's cool I see where your coming from. I disagree thought with some of it.

First deadpool himself - I've not read 616 Deadpool. Hell I had never even heard of him till I came on here. I actually thought your screen name was your real name till I read this and saw "Wadey Wilson" Then as I was reading it I thought ohhhhh that's where he got his name. cool

I liked the character in the Ultimate Universe and thought his cockiness was cool I liked that. His powers were pretty cool too. See I don't see him as just some cyborg.

I see him as **** for a front. But inside he is a deeply disturbed yet passionate guy. He hates mutants so much my guess is that he is one and hates it about himself. That would explain his powers more.

But they say a good villain is someone who is close to the hero in terms of personality. Spider-man is cocky for a front and has sacrificed so much for what he believes in.

Deadpool has done the same but in a different way. He lost his humanity , his face everything for what he believes in which to me makes me more deadly as if he did that to himself imagine what he will do to the hero if he had the chance.

As for no purpose it served an important purpose. It showed the Peter does not love kitty. It showed what M.J must feels like seeing peter with kitty and showed another problem he has to overcome.

And no one hates USM solely because of Bendis; They hate Bendis because of his USM.

Ok I might of said that wrong. I meant so many people on here claim to hate Ultimate Spider-man so much yet they know everything from the issues? If they really hated it they would not read it.

It seems Ultimate spider-man insulting is the same type of thing I was accused of for hating ps3.

The story would have been much, much better if Bendicifer had not used 'Pool, but a generic made up villain. I had not actual problems with the story, but Deadpool was just ruined. Fair enough, you can alter his origins etc, but what has been said time and time again about Orson Scott Card doing what he did to Ultimate Iron Man applies here. He ruined the core concept of Wade. Deadpool is an overly sarcastic, twisted maniac, with an obsession with the word 'Chimichanga'... Ultimate Deadpool was a cocky racist who happened to have the same name has Deadpool. Give him nanomonkeys in his bloodstream and we got another Cardism.

The story would have been much, much better if Bendicifer had not used 'Pool, but a generic made up villain. I had not actual problems with the story, but Deadpool was just ruined. Fair enough, you can alter his origins etc, but what has been said time and time again about Orson Scott Card doing what he did to Ultimate Iron Man applies here. He ruined the core concept of Wade. Deadpool is an overly sarcastic, twisted maniac, with an obsession with the word 'Chimichanga'... Ultimate Deadpool was a cocky racist who happened to have the same name has Deadpool. Give him nanomonkeys in his bloodstream and we got another Cardism.

The difference being that Deadpool can still be salvaged. Iron Man cannot.

Latest posts

Back