Wall*E discussion [spoilers]

Pixar studios to be sued for infringement?

A Qualicum Beach filmmaker says a Disney movie has remarkable similarities to one of his own works.

Paul Whittington says WALL?E, which came out last year, is similar to the character Quigley he created for his film Spare Parts, produced in 2003-04.

"It's up to a court to decide whether they've been infringing on my copyright," the award-winning filmmaker said Tuesday. "It's kind of hard to think that they didn't because there are so many similarities."

These include the basic story line. Spare Parts is about a robot who collects junk, and so is WALL?E.

The characters look somewhat aike, and in a scene in both movies, both look up to the stars.

Both films feature a billboard by companies out to help the world. In Whittington's 30-minute creation the billboard says, "Working to bring you a bright future." In the Disney film it reads, "Working to dig you out."

Whittington, 33, who recently won the Best Technical award at a short film festival in Nanaimo, said some people think Disney stole his idea.

He's not necessarily saying that, he said. He just wants to protect his copyright.

Spare Parts has been readily available for viewing on the Internet, including his website, orangecorefilms.com.

Walt Disney Pictures released WALL?E in the U.S. and Canada in June 2008. The film, produced by Pixar Animation Studios, grossed $23.1 million on its opening day, and $63 million during its opening weekend in 3,992 theatres, ranking #1 at the box office.

heres the short film if you don't believe me
[youtube]1dqoPpNTNT0[/youtube]

Didn't C3PO look up into space in one of the Star Wars movies?

Or, you know, all of them?

Maybe this guy should be sued.

Usually I would write a comment like this off as just another ignorant comment by an American, but your profile says you're from Britain... come on Bass you should know better! Don't sink to their level!

I just want to be popular. :(

Pixar studios to be sued for infringement?

heres the short film if you don't believe me
[youtube]1dqoPpNTNT0[/youtube]

The studio that made THE INCREDIBLE, MONSTERS INC, TOY STORY, RATATOUILLE, and FINDING NEMO was so desperate for ideas had to rip off a youtube animation?

To hell with Quigley.

The studio that made THE INCREDIBLE, MONSTERS INC, TOY STORY, RATATOUILLE, and FINDING NEMO was so desperate for ideas had to rip off a youtube animation?

To hell with Quigley.

It was an award winning short film that came out in 2003, not just a youtube animation. The guy has copyrights out on his character design and everything.

I'm not on the guys side, just posting something I saw on the news, and thought it was post worthy. There are similarities between the two, that do look to be more than a coincidence.

I guess they'll all get their comeuppens when BlueSky Software sue's all of them for ripping off the plot of Vectorman.

Last edited:
Paul Whittington says WALL?E, which came out last year, is similar to the character Quigley he created for his film Spare Parts, produced in 2003-04.

Who is this "WALL?E" he speaks of? I've never heard of him.

It was an award winning short film that came out in 2003, not just a youtube animation. The guy has copyrights out on his character design and everything.

I'm not on the guys side, just posting something I saw on the news, and thought it was post worthy. There are similarities between the two, that do look to be more than a coincidence.

I guess they'll all get their comeuppens when BlueSky Software sue's all of them for ripping off the plot of Vectorman.

I don't care who he his. The sheer breadth of creativity and craftsmanship that Pixar had consistently demonstrated on a yearly basis inherently makes his claim invalid.

"Oh my gosh, somebody out of the 8 billion people on this planet had an idea! and it looked just like MY idea! I'll SUE the bastards!"

*** hat.

I watched this last night. It was wonderful. I don't know how they managed to tell such a moving story with so little dialogue but Pixar did it and they continue to amaze me every time.

I finally saw this.

In. ****ing. Credible.

Why didn't this sweep the Oscars instead of the bland Slumdog Millionaire? The "define dancing" scene alone should have merited dozens of awards and accolades to fall upon its shoulders.

This was amazing. It easily had the best love story of the entire year, and it was between two ROBOTS. Who barely spoke to each other. How did Pixar do that?

This, right here, is what movies are all about. I'm not even joking. This film shows you what movies are capable of doing that books can't. I can't imagine "reading" this movie, or playing a video game version of it, and feeling the same emotions. It's something only film can do, and Wall-E did it.

A marvelous movie. I need to rewatch The Incredibles again to see if it has been supplanted as my favorite Pixar film, but this will rank among my favorite movies nonetheless. A truly magnificent, moving film experience.

Okay, does anyone know where the hell "The Pixar Story" is on the Bonus features? I have the 3 disc Blu-Ray version, if that helps. It's supposedly on disc 2, but I don't find it at all. Maybe I'm blind as a bat. :?

BTW, the 3rd disc is the digital copy, (answering that now from the Mole/E/Gemini convo from last year. :p)

Last edited:
I have the 2-disc dvd and it's on the second disc and the pixar story is FANTASTIC. I had no problem finding it... so I can't really help? :?

This is still awesome.

I like to imagine M-O spending the movie having an inner monologue in the style of a gritty noir detective. It just seems like something he'd do, given how seriously he takes his job.

I watched it again today, and my brother watched it for the first time.

It's still as awesome and heartwarming. LOVE this.

Latest posts

Back