Was Millar's X-Men Too Over the Top?

The problem with the comparsion is you seem to think American society hasn't progressed at all since the 1920s. Personally I think it be very hard for the type racism to exist in today's society. Racism today is more subtle, less overt then the past. With the relevation the Holocaust and the sucess of the Civil Rights movement has made that type of racism very unpopular in the Western world. If the government executed anyone without a trial on national TV, they would have groups like the ACLU after them, there would be senate hearings, and bunch of other things that wouldn't have done in
30s. The fact that mutants were killed isn't unrealistic, the fact that the government was killing is not unrealistic, the fact they were doing it on national TV, using methods that lead to deaths of a lot of normal humans in the process and people just ate it up, is unrealistic.

Yeah, that's my point... the racism and/or murders would be more subtle and private. Anyway, just because society approves more of other races of the same species doesn't mean that an entirely new type of sentient being with entirely new rules wouldn't upturn society. It's like Terry Pratchett said... white and black team up against green.

I don't even think that we're argueing anymore. We all think that giant robots, while an awesome concept, are unrealistic.

However, I do think that the KKK would be more interesting to read about if they used 60-foot-tall gene hunting robots.

Well then that's another problem, I don't find the giant Sentinels realistic either. They are too large, clunky and expensive and they cause far too much damage crowded civilian areas, not a good weapon to use on America's shores. Having giant Sentinles blowing up buses because one mutant his inside is wasteful and will make the government unpopular and ensure they will be defeated in the next election. Ultimate america is still a democracy, the government can't act like a dictatorship and do whatever it wants on America's shores, without a political price to be paid. Something more realistic would be Sentinel sleeper agents, robots disguised as humans who kidnap mutants off the street with no one noticing, that's far more realistic and creepy.

Great point, and I agree. Sentinels are a remarkably stupid idea.

:sure: Lynchings still happen guys. A black man in the deep south can still be murdered by a group of whites. They'll definitely be prosecuted, and to the harshest degree possible, but it still happens.

Award-winning author and 78-year-old Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel was beaten up by a man in San Francisco, apparently because the man didn't believe in the Holocaust.

And there's one group that still kills plenty of minorities for ridiculous reasons and manages to get away with it much of the time. Their name begins with a "P" and ends with an "OLICE".

Recent Example: An unarmed black man named Sean Bell was shot to death by police in New York City. They fired 50 rounds at he and his friends. The cops were recently indicted.

The point is that you can definitely get beaten up or killed in this country because of your race or what you believe, and if you also happen to be able to shoot lasers out of your eyes, it's not so unreasonable to think that a lot of people wouldn't want you around.

:sure: Lynchings still happen guys. A black man in the deep south can still be murdered by a group of whites. They'll definitely be prosecuted, and to the harshest degree possible, but it still happens.

Award-winning author and 78-year-old Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel was beaten up by a man in San Francisco, apparently because the man didn't believe in the Holocaust.

And there's one group that still kills plenty of minorities for ridiculous reasons and manages to get away with it much of the time. Their name begins with a "P" and ends with an "OLICE".

Recent Example: An unarmed black man named Sean Bell was shot to death by police in New York City. They fired 50 rounds at he and his friends. The cops were recently indicted.

The point is that you can definitely get beaten up or killed in this country because of your race or what you believe, and if you also happen to be able to shoot lasers out of your eyes, it's not so unreasonable to think that a lot of people wouldn't want you around.

Wasn't Sean that guy who was walking out of his bachelor party on his wedding day? That's so... I don't have the words. It's like some cruel joke, the kind of thing that only happens in fiction.

And you make good points. Unfortunately.

Wasn't Sean that guy who was walking out of his bachelor party on his wedding day? That's so... I don't have the words. It's like some cruel joke, the kind of thing that only happens in fiction.
Yeah, that was him.

Yeah, but were any of these guys kiled by the government on national TV?

Even though what Moonmaster said was true, it doesn't change the fact that the Government has yet to commission giant robots to commit genocide.

Yeah, but were any of these guys kiled by the government on national TV?

Exactly, which is why Millar is over the top and mutant hatred and killings should've been more private. Same about Wade's comment.

Because Wade is a whiny *****...

Even though what Moonmaster said was true, it doesn't change the fact that the Government has yet to commission giant robots to commit genocide.

Last edited:
Exactly, which is why Millar is over the top and mutant hatred and killings should've been more private. Same about Wade's comment.

Because Wade is a whiny *****...

Are we even argueing anymore? It doesn't seem like it.

Except for your comment about me being a whiny *****. That I'll be happy to argue with. Scorpion-woman.

Latest posts

Back