Wasp Question

jtg3885

Banned
I was reading the Ultimate Guide to the Hulk, and it had a page dedicated to Ultimate Hulk, with mentions of each of the Ultimates. It says Janet retreats to a larval nest when angry (I believe it was angry, but at any rate, there's a nest involved) and she lays insectoid eggs ever six weeks. Is there any mention of this in the comics, or is it one of those weird tidbits that the Marvel staff knows but never made it into print?

The Ultimates v1 #6:
Hank to Janet (about Captain America):
"I wonder if he'd still have the hots for you if he saw you eating caterpillars and beetles or hiding in your little larval nest when all the mutant hysteria was going on a while back?"

"Do you think they'd all find you so special and pretty if they were waking up every six weeks to find eggs in their beds?
Because that's what I've got to live with, Jan! And your personal hygiene makes me sick to my stomach sometimes."

So, yes. It's in the story. Just not being showed (yet anyway).

Ah. This is why I need that hardcover to get here. It's being shipped at the speed of smell. It's cheapest that way, but damn does it take forever.

I think this is something Millar could've done without... I don't think that's what a mutant would really do with those types of powers.

I wanted confirmation because I want to use it in my fic. I personally wondered why nobody ever thought of that with Peter. He's got all kinds of beneficial stuff from spiders, why not come up with some kind of negative (or at least negative from our perspective) reaction to the spider bite?

Are we talking larval nest or something like Man-Spider, a biproduct of the bite in 616? Also, the spider that actually bit him turned into the Thousand, when a janitor (I think) actually ate it.

I was thinking odd eating or sleeping habits. Something everyday like Janet now has. Nest and eggs. *ponders* I wonder what I could do with that...

Well, I think that the spider bite has contributed enough, really. It's minor but Peter does have a certain instinct and strength. Yes, those are his powers, but that's what was of the spider bite.

You also have to consider that he's not a mutant like Jan is. This is apples and oranges, J.

jtg3885 said:
I personally wondered why nobody ever thought of that with Peter.

Because to the average person, it would make him less identify-withable.

Cool, I just invented a word.

Goodwill said:
I think this is something Millar could've done without... I don't think that's what a mutant would really do with those types of powers.

In Morrison's New X-Men, a character named Angel has the exact same powers(except the Sting) and does go into Larval nests and everything.

She didn´t shrink though, she spat acid. She was half fly. Then she laid larval eggs and they hatched into useless Baby Beaks. Creepy it was.

UltimateE said:

Truth. No sense in trying to make Spider-Man weirder than necessary, especially if he's a flagship character reincarnated in a line marketed to casual readers. (Whether that effort has succeeded, is a different matter altogether.)

As long as we're all digging up long dead topics, I've been wondering. Does Wasp possess the natural ability to talk to bugs in the UU, which would have then spawned the Ant-Man project? Or is the idea of talking to bugs unique to Pym and his helmet in the UU?

UltimateE said:

Does it mean anything other than identifyable?

*blinks* Wow, way to miss the point...

Anyone? I've read the Ultimates HC cover to cover, and it would appear that the ants and other insects are Hank's thing. However, I don't read as many of the creator interviews as most of the people here do (mostly because I'm of the opinion that it's non canon until one of them gets up off their *** and writes it into a comic) so I may have missed something along the line.

Johnny Bravo said:

You're asking the difference between identifying something and identifying with something?

Latest posts

Back