Watchmen (Spoilers)

Has anyone picked up Absolute Watchmen? I am re-reading it right now. It's a beautiful hardcover collection with a bunch of sketches and extras, but the best part of it is that they redid the coloring somehow so it doesn't look like a crappy reproduction of an 80s comic book.

Has anyone else checked out the watchmen motion comic on itunes? Its free right now and definitely worth the download. Other than the fact that there is only 1 voice actor (yes, he even voices the women) it is a fantastic representation of the novel and it was fun to see it "come to life", even if it was just a little bit.

Finally watched this.

It is EXTREMELY cool. They took the art right out of the book - I was comparing the scenes with the panels in the comic. The voice actor isn't too bad but for some voices he just doesn't fit - not just Laurie (although that was very weird). I always imagined Rorschach with a grittier voice.

I would highly recommend it. I got the first chapter when it was free and it's $1.99 now, but well worth it. I will definitely be getting the rest.

Has anyone picked up Absolute Watchmen? I am re-reading it right now. It's a beautiful hardcover collection with a bunch of sketches and extras, but the best part of it is that they redid the coloring somehow so it doesn't look like a crappy reproduction of an 80s comic book.
I'm rereading it for the 5th time since the Wiz World Philly back when I met some of you beasts

I never caught this before, but in Chapter 10 the kid is reading the comic at the news stand, and it shows the back cover which has an ad that's a parody of the old Charles Atlas ads on it that says, "THE VEIDT METHOD - I will give you bodies beyond your wildest imagination."

AWESOME.

I never caught this before, but in Chapter 10 the kid is reading the comic at the news stand, and it shows the back cover which has an ad that's a parody of the old Charles Atlas ads on it that says, "THE VEIDT METHOD - I will give you bodies beyond your wildest imagination."

AWESOME.

Really? I caught that on like my 2nd reading of it. And yeah, cool as ****.

AWESOME.
I'm fairly sure I noticed that the first time I read it.

And I'm not just saying that to one-up MWoF.

Though that is certainly a great thing.

I re-read Watchmen a few weeks ago after seeing the trailer at the beginning of TDK. The first time I'd read it I was like 12 or 13, and obviously a lot of it went over my head at the time. A lot of it went over my head this time, but as a more seasoned comic reader and more world-weary cynic, the themes were easier to grasp. Which is a good thing...besides the blatant awesomeness of it, the motivation to pick up on things missed on previous readings is exciting.

Moore's a self-obsessed *******, but he's a literary genius. And Gibbons' artwork (heavily inspired by Moore's excessively detailed scripts) is amazing. Not his style, mind you (his art itself is pretty ho-hum), but the set up and experimentation they did with the panels: the mirror imaging, the winks and nods to in-universe and even out-of-universe subjects.

I also love how the Appendixes at the end of each issue/chapter help flesh out the Watchmen universe. Its a very different read if you're lazy like I was at 13 and skip over them. They can be a bit dry at times, but fully help you realize the world Moore created.

This truly deserves its spot as the greatest comic of all time.

Last edited:
I also love how the Appendixes at the end of each issue/chapter help flesh out the Watchmen universe. Its a very different read if you're lazy like I was at 13 and skip over them. They can be a bit dry at times, but fully help you realize the world Moore created.

I liked them all except the owls one, I couldn't get through it

Finally finished this.

I've gotta say, I realize where this becomes a memorable, iconic graphic novel, but the end was sort of rush. At least, for me. I wish they would've built up Ozy a little bit more to make him a much better and recognizeable villain. I didn't see that coming at all, which was cool, but at the same time I was hoping it was a red herring when it wasn't.

Anyway, it was definitely enjoyable and I'm interested to see what they do with the movie. Should be good, but it'll most certainly be different from the graphic novel.

Now, it's on to Frank Miller's the Dark Knight Returns for me... Enjoying DC a lot more this summer than what I've read from Marvel.

Finally finished this.

I've gotta say, I realize where this becomes a memorable, iconic graphic novel, but the end was sort of rush. At least, for me. I wish they would've built up Ozy a little bit more to make him a much better and recognizeable villain. I didn't see that coming at all, which was cool, but at the same time I was hoping it was a red herring when it wasn't.

That was my exact feelings on the ending as well. The first 8 or 9 issues were epic, but it seemed like the next two were rushed in terms of the resolution...not that it needed to be dragged out...just needed to be more epic somehow. And the last issue which was all epilogue and tying up the plot threads was a bit weak in comparison to the earlier issues (the issues focusing on Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach were amazing...especially Manhattan's). Still, viewed as a whole, its an impressive piece of fiction.

I don't know the comics, but noticed you guys were saying how you didn't like the look of the character Ozymandias. I looked on Wiki and found this image:

Ozymandiasliveaction.jpg

Maybe that'll change your mind since he looks different from the EW cover.

As long as that's just the costume he's wearing at the climax, I'm fine with it.

Latest posts

Back