Spider-Man Web-Shooters or Organic Webbing?

Which do you prefer, in general?

• Total voters
I don't know how much webbing Spidey's new spinnerets can produce, but I'm sure it's at least 50x more than what he could put into a single web-cartridge.
I remember seeing in a preview for "One More Day" Spidey unleashed all of his webbing on Iron Man, thinking about what would it be like if its all went out, and Iron Man was completely covered and couldnt move

I can't understand why Stan Lee didn't just give him organic webs in the first place. It actually took him more effort and originality to come up with the webshooters idea and essentially made Spidey less relatable, when he could have just said 'screw it, they come out of his hands'.

I'm pretty sure what I said is the actual reason

Stan has no big grasp on science and usually just made up origins because they sounded cool. I also recall hearing that Stan originally wanted them to be organic but the company had issues with a teenage boy shooting goo out of his body.

Stan has no big grasp on science and usually just made up origins because they sounded cool. I also recall hearing that Stan originally wanted them to be organic but the company had issues with a teenage boy shooting goo out of his body.

Eeeww...

Guess that could be seen as a metaphor. Now that you mention it, the first 616 panel of Peter I saw showing off his organic spinnerets had a line of webbing sort of...drooping off of his wrist...kind of like...

I did an image search for 'Organic Webbing' and this is one of the interesting stuff that came up. Basically, a similar thread to this one.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?p=4809834

(EDIT: Hey! URL tags are automatic! Sweet!)

:I think it would be funny if he was talking to some villain and then out of nowhere just bit him.

Me too. It would also be cool to see Spidey sneak up on someone on a wall, and then silently bite the person on the shoulder or something... creepy!

Last edited:
Yeah man. Where you been? It all happened even before the CW Iron Man suit.
For a moment there I thought you were talking about 'The CW' and that they filed suit over Iron Man or something. And then I thought, why is Ellary Porterfield starring opposite former The O.C. guest stars in a poor man's The O.C.?

1) I myself have no real preference. In defense of the Anti-Organic Platoon: I've never understood why people consider the intelligence of Peter Parker so important to the character. He's a smart kid, probably with an IQ of 120 or 130 or something, but they act like it's so important that taking away engineering ingenuity away from him destroys him.

The aspect I dislike about the mechanical shooters isn't even about the whole "Oh why can he invent something that 3M can't?" What I dislike more is that for all of his supposed ingenuity, Peter hasn't invented anything else that is close to matching the miracle that is his web shooter.

If this kid can invent a biodegradable, ultra-hard adhesive and spider-tracers and anti-magnetic dynamos that take down the Vulture's flight device then he should have NO money problems. But the Everyman aspect of Spider-Man is MORE important than his scientific ingenuity.

I'm not saying he can't be smart, but he can't be Reed Richards.

2) Second, in defense of the Pro-Organic Brigade: I can never understand the people who say that if Spider-Man could shoot webbings out of his body, he should shoot them out of his butt. Now I'm no biologist, but webbing coming out of the spider's rear is in my opinion, not an arbitrary design. I think its a reasonable place for webbing to shoot because its where the limbs of a spider can manipulate the webbing.

If Peter --- or any other human being --- were to shoot webbing out of his butt, there'd be no way for him to manipulate the webbing in any elegantly dexterous fashion. Wrist-spinnerets on a human make the same amount of sense as rear-spinnerets on a spider because the fingers take the place of the spider's legs in manipulating, grabbing and tearing the webs up.

This is all pseudo-science nonsense, I know, but it's good pseudo-science. Butt-webbing is BAD pseudo-science. It's no-nosense.

3) I do like SSJ's reasoning that the mechanical webshooters gave him a weakness, by being fundamentally prone to mechanical failure. Yeah, it's kinda deus ex machina to not let him use the shooters whenever the writer feels it's convenient, but I get cheap laughs out of That Ole Parker Luck, especially since he was more prone to forgetting to bring spare cartridges.

For a moment there I thought you were talking about 'The CW' and that they filed suit over Iron Man or something. And then I thought, why is Ellary Porterfield starring opposite former The O.C. guest stars in a poor man's The O.C.?

1) I myself have no real preference. In defense of the Anti-Organic Platoon: I've never understood why people consider the intelligence of Peter Parker so important to the character. He's a smart kid, probably with an IQ of 120 or 130 or something, but they act like it's so important that taking away engineering ingenuity away from him destroys him.

The aspect I dislike about the mechanical shooters isn't even about the whole "Oh why can he invent something that 3M can't?" What I dislike more is that for all of his supposed ingenuity, Peter hasn't invented anything else that is close to matching the miracle that is his web shooter.

If this kid can invent a biodegradable, ultra-hard adhesive and spider-tracers and anti-magnetic dynamos that take down the Vulture's flight device then he should have NO money problems. But the Everyman aspect of Spider-Man is MORE important than his scientific ingenuity.

2) Second, in defense of the Pro-Organic Brigade: I can never understand the people who say that if Spider-Man could shoot webbings out of his body, he should shoot them out of his butt. Now I'm no biologist, but webbing coming out of the spider's rear is in my opinion, not an arbitrary design. I think its a reasonable place for webbing to shoot because its where the limbs of a spider can manipulate the webbing.

If Peter --- or any other human being --- were to shoot webbing out of his butt, there'd be no way for him to manipulate the webbing in any elegantly dexterous fashion. Wrist-spinnerets on a human make the same amount of sense as rear-spinnerets on a spider because the fingers take the place of the spider's legs in manipulating, grabbing and tearing the webs up.

This is all pseudo-science nonsense, I know, but it's good pseudo-science. Butt-webbing is BAD pseudo-science. It's no-nosense.

3) I do like SSJ's reasoning that the mechanical webshooters gave him a weakness, by being fundamentally prone to mechanical failure. Yeah, it's kinda deus ex machina to not let him use the shooters whenever the writer feels it's convenient, but I get cheap laughs out of That Ole Parker Luck, especially since he was more prone to forgetting to bring spare cartridges.

Thank you. I totally agree about Peter Parker's intelligence. It was not and is not a major part of the character - what is important is that he is a science nerd. More accurately, a science nerd with extremely poor social skills.

And excellent point about the web/butt thing. Going along with that line of thinking, the wrists/forearms WOULD be the proper place for webs. Instant evolution.

I still don't understand how he was given new spider powers twice in a year and he still hasn't used any of them. When's the last time he controlled spiders?

E said:
And excellent point about the web/butt thing. Going along with that line of thinking, the wrists/forearms WOULD be the proper place for webs. Instant evolution.
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it elsewhere on the board before, as I am prone to repeating my arguments about things like these. :p

Thank you. I totally agree about Peter Parker's intelligence. It was not and is not a major part of the character - what is important is that he is a science nerd. More accurately, a science nerd with extremely poor social skills.
Yes.

Science nerd enough to figure out a problem, but not science god enough to actually have to 'stoop' to freelance photography. Hell people say that those who can't do, teach and Parker teaches chemistry to high school kids now. Says something, no?

He could shoot web out of his butt and manipulate the web with his feet! :D

I just think it's stupid that he has webs and doesn't have eight eyes or something.

He could shoot web out of his butt and manipulate the web with his feet! :D
Then lower half of the human body just doesn't compare in nimbleness.

Ultimate Quicksilver said:
I just think it's stupid that he has webs and doesn't have eight eyes or something.
Maybe spiders have so many eyes for depth perception? Just a guess. If so, perhaps having eight eyes wouldn't be necessary.

This is always kind of the way I thought about it as well. Evolution has always been in favour of functionality rather than continuity. Look at human beings.

The artificial webshooters offer more story potential.

ourchair is wrong.

Spider-Man should shoot web out of his butt, and this should be facilitated by a new pair of arms and hands that also grow out of his butt.

EVOLUTION!

Last edited:
The artificial webshooters offer more story potential.

I would agree that it creates more story to be told, but only in how he builds them and, to me, isn't really anything of consequence. Running out of fluid during a fight isn't really a very interesting plot device.

Retroactive Post of the Day. I agree completely.

Latest posts

Back