What Do You Dislike More

Which Do You Dislike more

• Total voters
I've bolixed up this thread but anyway, which do you hate more. Personally, I really don't mind having characters die frequently as long as the other characters react properly. Its when they just keep on going and move on instantly that I get annoyed.

Caduceus said:
I've bolixed up this thread but anyway, which do you hate more. Personally, I really don't mind having characters die frequently as long as the other characters react properly. Its when they just keep on going and move on instantly that I get annoyed.

Agreed 100%. Death is real and doesn't bother me. Little or no reaction isn't real and does.

I get annoyed at the sloppiness of some writers that think killing a character is a great way to grab someones interest. It's like they're coming to the end of their run, have run out of ideas, made a hash of the plot they were trying to work through, so, easy solution? kill marvel girl again. I'm hardly surprised at the lack of reaction, I read it and think"well, there goes another one for 50 issues until they bring them back with amnesia, or an alien has resurrected them, or some other such rubbish", so how can I expect the characters to care? I sure as hell don't.
Dying is easy, living is hard, as they say.

Guijllons said:
I get annoyed at the sloppiness of some writers that think killing a character is a great way to grab someones interest. It's like they're coming to the end of their run, have run out of ideas, made a hash of the plot they were trying to work through, so, easy solution? kill marvel girl again. I'm hardly surprised at the lack of reaction, I read it and think"well, there goes another one for 50 issues until they bring them back with amnesia, or an alien has resurrected them, or some other such rubbish", so how can I expect the characters to care? I sure as hell don't.
Dying is easy, living is hard, as they say.

Did you think that when Morrison killed her in New X-Men #150 that it was because he was out of ideas or just trying to grab interest? Just curious...

I didn't like that run. But I think that it was a purposeful setup for scott and emma to get together, and that will have larger repercussions. But I don't think that was fully realised at the time of writing. So maybe it was a bit of both.

In fact, I just wanna go on the record and say that I think the New X-Men as a whole was a bloody carcrash. I really didn't like it.

Last edited:
Wow. That's funny - I think that's the first time I've disagreed with you on something. Normally your posts make me say "Yeah me too." ;-)

But that's cool - nothing wrong with not liking it. I think they brought him in to turn the Xbooks upside down and change things up, which he did - I think he was fully aware what he was doing and how it would change things, even if he obviously didn't know what those changes would be. I never got the impression that anything he did, including Jean's death, was done "just because."

Guijllons said:
I didn't like that run. But I think that it was a purposeful setup for scott and emma to get together, and that will have larger repercussions. But I don't think that was fully realised at the time of writing. So maybe it was a bit of both.

In fact, I just wanna go on the record and say that I think the New X-Men as a whole was a bloody carcrash. I really didn't like it.

:shock:

wha... :shock:

The words, they....they...they fail me.

I find it strange but hey, its your opinion. You can do what you like with it.

half of the characters(probably more than half) come back after they are killed anyway...the characters killed are unusable to the writers at the time and become tools to tell stories until some other writer comes along...

Death is alright in comics, and a great device to show how the other character react and develop from it. It's need to stop right there. Resurrections are stupid and overdone. Either kill the character and be done with it or don't even touch them at all. If a writer (or the next writer coming in) doesn't need a particular character, stick this character somewhere else. Don't just kill 'em off only to have three writers down the road bring thim back.

Also, I see death as seeing the body die, whether stabbed or heart attack or whatever. So I feel Cyclops never died when he was merged with Apocolypse, and Juggernaut isn't dead now since he was just sucked into the black hole of a character that shouldn't have existed in the first place. But Psylocke should be dead, Colossus should be dead, Phoenix should stay dead, yadda yadda yadda...

So I dislike death because at the end of it all, it's meaningless.

Uh...can someone help me out here. I voted for the wrong one. I voted for the death option accidently, and I wanted the other option.

But yeah, I agree with E. Barely doing anything or whatever, that sucks. That was one problem with Bendis in UXM.

The Captain said:
wait wait...what happened to juggernaut???

Read Adjectiveless X-men. He got sucked into Xorn II's head along with Nocturne, the weakest Exodus for years and Mammomax, the single worst character in recent memory.

Caduceus said:
Read Adjectiveless X-men. He got sucked into Xorn II's head along with Nocturne, the weakest Exodus for years and Mammomax, the single worst character in recent memory.

This is why I don't read X-comics...

IcyFlames said:
Death is alright in comics, and a great device to show how the other character react and develop from it. It's need to stop right there. Resurrections are stupid and overdone. Either kill the character and be done with it or don't even touch them at all. If a writer (or the next writer coming in) doesn't need a particular character, stick this character somewhere else. Don't just kill 'em off only to have three writers down the road bring thim back.

Also, I see death as seeing the body die, whether stabbed or heart attack or whatever. So I feel Cyclops never died when he was merged with Apocolypse, and Juggernaut isn't dead now since he was just sucked into the black hole of a character that shouldn't have existed in the first place. But Psylocke should be dead, Colossus should be dead, Phoenix should stay dead, yadda yadda yadda...

So I dislike death because at the end of it all, it's meaningless.

I agree with everything you said except Phoenix. That's the only character that should have an exception made. The purpose of the Phoenix - the very definition - is to die and come back to life. If it stayed dead, it wouldn't be Phoenix.

True but Jean's returns should always be because of the Phoenix. Not for a wide variety of reasons.

Caduceus said:
True but Jean's returns should always be because of the Phoenix. Not for a wide variety of reasons.

I'll agree with that.

Phoenix's return from death is alright, except when you continuously kill her. Everytime the Phoenix dies, you know she'll be back, so what's the point of killing her in the first place.

IcyFlames said:
Phoenix's return from death is alright, except when you continuously kill her. Everytime the Phoenix dies, you know she'll be back, so what's the point of killing her in the first place.
It's part of the story. The story wouldn't go right if she didn't die.

Latest posts

Back