What Do you Read

Caduceus

The Original Muffins Man
I know we all read comics but i was just wondering, what else do you people read? Magazines, books, Dead Sea Scrolls what?

Personally, i tend to stick to the classics (excluding english romances which frustrate me) and sci-fi and Fantasy

My favourite series is probably Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

How about everyone else

Caduceus said:
I know we all read comics but i was just wondering, what else do you people read? Magazines, books, Dead Sea Scrolls what?

Personally, i tend to stick to the classics (excluding english romances which frustrate me) and sci-fi and Fantasy

My favourite series is probably Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.

How about everyone else

I would read the Dead Sea Scrolls if I could.

I don't read many books. As far as magazines I read Wired and ESPN regularly, and sometimes I'll pick up Wizard or anything else that looks interesting.

Besides comics I read the classics, mostly sciene fiction/fantasy classics such as War of the Worlds, and the Once and Future King.

Aside from that I'm a Robert E. Howard nut. I still need to grab the 2nd Conan book, but his Conan is just so good, I recommend it to everyone. Along with that I tend to like reading about the mythology like Greece and Norse. My firneds thing I'm weird for it thou. We had to read the Norse God legends for an assignment and everyone except me seems to hate it.

Well, I read alot. I mianly used to stay in the Sci-fi/fantasy genre, reading the basic Tolkien/Jordan/Goodkind package, but then I moved more into Horror and comedy with the writtings of Brian Lumly and Terry Prattchet. Recently I've been getting into Noir styled detective novels, having just finished Dennis Lehane's books.

And yes, I'd read the Dead Sea Scrolls too, but I'd rather get my hands on the Alternitive telling of the life of Christ found in the middle east in the 60s.

And everyone within the sound of my vpoice must read Good Omens. Now. God. Stop reading this and buy it already!

Baxter said:
And everyone within the sound of my vpoice must read Good Omens. Now. God. Stop reading this and buy it already!
Yes, yes! Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet. Excellent stuff! Roll on the ground laughing out loud funny.

There's not enough room on the board for a complete listing of what I read, but I also tend to choose books in the Fantasy/SF genres, from the series based on popular media (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.) to well-known authors like Anne McCaffrey, Terry Brooks, Mercedes Lackey, Isaac Asimov, etc. I've been interested in Native American culture for over 20 years, so I'll at least skim through novels that feature decent NA characters -- I have half a shelf of Tony Hillerman novels, and a friend of mine sent me the first book in a new Native American mystery series for Christmas.

I read an enormous amount of children's and young adult literature, only partly because I can justify it for my job, partly because the writers can tell great stories without all the sexual and graphic violence junk that seems to be required in so much adult fiction these days. :roll:

ultxon said:
Aside from that I'm a Robert E. Howard nut.
My favorite Robert E. Howard character is Solomon Kane; his short stories make for interesting reading for middle school-age kids at Halloween....

Call me whatever, but I like Brian Jacques... He writes those Redwall novels that are just about the greatest adventure stories no one has ever heard about. Although the characters are all rodents and the villains all their predators, I really like how it is written and stuff. They are actually very good reads!

I know what your talking about. I read some of them a few years ago and they were ok. The covers always faintly disturbed me - Did anyone ever find out why all the characters are rodents??

My sister got one of the redwall novels once, got really freaked out at how graphicly it discribed a cartweel crushing the skull of a mouse and stopped reading it.

XTF, who wrote See No Evil?

Never heard of him. Is it a more technical telling in the Tom Clancy vien, or more hearfelt, like a story he nurtured while on the job?

more technical... this guy was a real CIA agent the book is more of a biography it tells his account (what he's allowed to tell us) of various hostage situations and him tracking down AL-Queada before they're even the big terrorist group that they are... there's a lot of interesting bits in there

I love the novels of Orson Scott Card. I do read works by other writers, but I always end up coming back to his books frequently.

Shadow of the Giant
comes out this March! Can't wait.

Latest posts

Back