What is better at revamping characters, the Ultimate Universe or Timm's DCUA?

Which is better at revamping characters?

• Total voters

The Overlord

What is better at revamping characters, the Ultimate Universe or Bruce Timm's DCUA?

DIrishB said:
What the hell is DCUA?

DC Universe Animated.

The DC cartoons, Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond etc.

Well, watching the DCUA has pretty much satisfied my DC needs, and most of the time I'm never disappointed.

ProjectX2 said:
DC Universe Animated.

The DC cartoons, Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond etc.

Well, watching the DCUA has pretty much satisfied my DC needs, and most of the time I'm never disappointed.

Ah, ok...I'm going with the Ultimate universe books, merely because I prefer that...I used to watch the old Batman 90's cartoon back in the day, loved every minute of it, but never got into JLU, etc.

Animated DCU. Remember the Darkseid episodes of Superman? Remember the continuity (in a cartoon! Amazing!) of the original Batman toon? And Batman Beyond was nothin short of perfect with its Mr. Freeze episode. I like the Ultimate Universe, but I love the Animated DCU.

EDIT: Shouldn't this really be a poll?

Last edited:
Baxter said:
Animated DCU. Remember the Darkseid episodes of Superman? Remember the continuity (in a cartoon! Amazing!) of the original Batman toon? And Batman Beyond was nothin short of perfect with its Mr. Freeze episode. I like the Ultimate Universe, but I love the Animated DCU.

EDIT: Shouldn't this really be a poll?
As much as I love the UU, I have to agree with Baxter. I used to friggin' love the old DC cartoons. They were awesomeness at its best.

Ice said:
As much as I love the UU, I have to agree with Baxter. I used to friggin' love the old DC cartoons. They were awesomeness at its best.
I haven't even gotten to watch JLU yet. From what I've heard it'll do nothing but tickle me pink.

I just posted how I felt about the Justice League Unlimited Cadmus story arc, which I just finished watching today.

I'm sorry, but there is no contest at all, in anyway whatsoever.

The Timmverse is far, far superior to the Ultimate universe. It plays with virtually all the same themes as the Ultimate universe - superheroes as weapons, mass-produceable, superheroes versus the government, etc - and does so wonderfully.

No contest at all. Timmverse everytime.

From "On Leather Wings" in the original Batman TAS all through to Justice League Unlimited's "Destroyer" finale of the fifth season, it's been gold (with some hiccups here and there). Nothing comes close.

Teen Titans for me next. Can't wait. :D

Bass said:
I just posted how I felt about the Justice League Unlimited Cadmus story arc, which I just finished watching today.

I'm sorry, but there is no contest at all, in anyway whatsoever.

The Timmverse is far, far superior to the Ultimate universe. It plays with virtually all the same themes as the Ultimate universe - superheroes as weapons, mass-produceable, superheroes versus the government, etc - and does so wonderfully.

No contest at all. Timmverse everytime.

From "On Leather Wings" in the original Batman TAS all through to Justice League Unlimited's "Destroyer" finale of the fifth season, it's been gold (with some hiccups here and there). Nothing comes close.

Teen Titans for me next. Can't wait. :D
Teen Titans is alot of fun. And it has The Brotherhood of Evil now :D

I've seen one episode, "Calling All Titans" and I love the Brain.

I also love villains who call themselves Evil.

And why the hell does everyone in that 'toon look like they're from Megaman?

The DCA universe all the way.

Teen Titans is at it's best when you don't take it serious. The episodes are more or less fun spoofs on the comic. There are some great awesome stories.

Slade is the greatest thing ever. He is ****ing scary. Ron Pearlman is the voice and they couldn't of got better.

The Kid Flash episode is leagues above the others. I could not stop laughing the whole episode.

Last edited:
I have to say DCUA as well, they did a better job of improving the characters. As far the UU still treats most B list villains as just thugs or turns them into total losers, while DCUA turn lame b-list villains like Mr. Freeze and Mad Hatter into tragic figures. UU has done some good work revamping characters (I like Ultimate Mr. Sinister), but overall I give the nod to DCUA, the way Timm revamped Brainiac was genius.

This is not really a contest.

The Overlord said:
What is better at revamping characters, the Ultimate Universe or Bruce Timm's DCUA?

you're compairing a comics series with a cartoon series? that doesnt work! that's like asking which is better, pepsi or milk?

The Overlord said:
I have to say DCUA as well, they did a better job of improving the characters. As far the UU still treats most B list villains as just thugs or turns them into total losers, while DCUA turn lame b-list villains like Mr. Freeze and Mad Hatter into tragic figures.

Exactly. The Timmverse put's so much heart into revamping villains, and not using them as lame and cheap gags, while ADDING to the original. Brainiac and Harley Quinn are primarily good examples of this.

robje said:
you're compairing a comics series with a cartoon series? that doesnt work! that's like asking which is better, pepsi or milk?

Well, the comic and the cartoon are both set in the superhero genre, they also both deal with the same concept of taking pre-existing characters and reimagining them for a contemporary audience. It's not discussing which of the two uses sound better or which uses panel layout better. The topic of discussion is which takes preexisting characters and reimagines them better, something both storylines do, albeit in different mediums. It's perfectly fine to compare them on that basis.

Bass said:
Well, the comic and the cartoon are both set in the superhero genre, they also both deal with the same concept of taking pre-existing characters and reimagining them for a contemporary audience. It's not discussing which of the two uses sound better or which uses panel layout better. The topic of discussion is which takes preexisting characters and reimagines them better, something both storylines do, albeit in different mediums. It's perfectly fine to compare them on that basis.

Pepsi and milk are both drinkable fluids...

i think i made my point :wink:

robje said:
Pepsi and milk are both drinkable fluids...

i think i made my point :wink:
Even though I haven't watched any of the DC Animated Universe, when the basis for both it and the Ultimate Universe are basically the same, it is reasonable to compare the two instead of keeping them seperate because one is a cartoon series. Why don't you think they should be compared, when they are reinventing characters from their respective universes in similar ways?

Pandrio said:
Even though I haven't watched any of the DC Animated Universe, when the basis for both it and the Ultimate Universe are basically the same, it is reasonable to compare the two instead of keeping them seperate because one is a cartoon series. Why don't you think they should be compared, when they are reinventing characters from their respective universes in similar ways?

comics and cartoons are two entirely different media. Viewers of cartoons are much more emerged in the cartoon than the readers of a comic are in a comic. When viewing a cartoon the audience is both seeing and hearing the cartoon, there is less strain on the imagination. A comic on the other hand needs a much more active reader, who needs to make te pictures move himself, who needs to hear what the characters are saying himself.
Because the cartoon is 'easier to read', the viewer is more emerged in the cartoon and more likely to accept what he is viewing. This is why the cartoon is most likely to come out as the winner.

Because of the differences between the two media, you can never compare them fairly. The viewers look at it differently and the creators have different techniques available.

more on this later, its bettime here, and robje is tired.
(im not entirely sure if i translated the term media to english properly... it might be mediums...)

Latest posts

Back