What nationality IS Janet, anyways?

ourchair said:
You should write the book on superhero diaspora.
Oh, you mean Lost Cities, Elseworlds, and Borderlands: Fictions of 'Home' and Migration in American Comics? I'm working on it, dude!

And I'm thinking of getting Stan Lee to write the intro, except he's understandably iffy about disclosing his views on the whole SuperJew/"Krypton = Israel" debate.

compound said:
Oh, you mean Lost Cities, Elseworlds, and Borderlands: Fictions of 'Home' and Migration in American Comics? I'm working on it, dude!

And I'm thinking of getting Stan Lee to write the intro, except he's understandably iffy about disclosing his views on the whole SuperJew/"Krypton = Israel" debate.
I've read Stan Lee book intros. You'd hate them. They'd be full of alliterations. Amazingly atrocious ones at that.

Incidentally, when it comes to problematic ethnocultural parallels with superhuman comic characters, the whole SuperJew schtick is old. Sometimes I just wish someone would try to stick a racial identity to Galactus, in order to promote a potentially racist 'world-eater' identification.

ourchair said:
I just wish someone would try to stick a racial identity to Galactus, in order to promote a potentially racist 'world-eater' identification.
I understand that Galactus ate China once, in a parallel universe. A few hours later, he was hungry again.

You know what, the whole race thing is stupid. Janet being asian? So what? Who cares? Asians are no less human then the rest of us. So whyseparate her from the rest? Why don't we discuss weather or not Ultiomate Tony Stark is Italian like 616 version? Or what nationality Hawkeye is? And you know what, the answer to those questions is simple but no one will say it. Because they're white. All white people are thrown into one group as the past 'oppressors'. But may I remind you that the only two 'white races' that ever oppressed people were British and German. The Irish were treated worse than Slaveswere back in the mid 1800's.

My point: were still discriminating against others of different races. And for teh love of God, political correctness is a huge load of ****.

Hawkeye101 said:
But may I remind you that the only two 'white races' that ever oppressed people were British and German.

Okay, I know we're going off topic now, but I can't allow such a vulgar display of ignorance to go on uncorrected...

Assuming we're talking about *nationalities* rather than ethnic/racial groups, I'd like to point out the systematic atrocities of the ruling Americans (of ALL races, but predominantly whites) in the Philippines, during the Philippine-American War and the Philippines' turbulent Commonwealth period of the early 20th century.

And then there's the Afrikaners enforcing the Apartheid system in South Africa during the Cold War years; the repressive Dutch colonization of Indonesia; the occupation of the Philippines by the Spanish; the Belgian conquest of the Congo... in the last 100 years alone, there is no shortage of examples of systematic oppression carried out by Caucasians (or, if you prefer, white folks) who represented neither Britain nor Germany.

Dude, why else are the X-men such a multi-cultural group? They aren't the comic industry's favorite symbol of oppressed minority groups for nothing, you know! :p

Hawkeye101 said:
You know what, the whole race thing is stupid.
I'll agree with you that racial and class discrimination persists until today, amongst individuals of ALL races and nationalties. It's something that needs to be discussed, addresed, negotiated, and made public through healthy conversation, so we can coordinate efforts to limit this kind of discrimination, in our own little ways. It's totally unconstructive to dismiss it as "stupid".

Well... unless you're discussing the ethnicity of a tit-flashing, egg-laying, potentially traitorous mutant. Yeah, then maybe it *is* a little stupid.

Wow. I just wanted to know what ****ing ethnic group Janet belonged to because I need it for my fan fiction. Christ. If it had been said somewhere that she was Japanese, I didn't want to call her Chinese and have someone point and call me a ****tard.

Hawkeye101 said:
You know what, the whole race thing is stupid. Janet being asian? So what? Who cares? Asians are no less human then the rest of us. So whyseparate her from the rest? Why don't we discuss weather or not Ultiomate Tony Stark is Italian like 616 version? Or what nationality Hawkeye is? And you know what, the answer to those questions is simple but no one will say it. Because they're white. All white people are thrown into one group as the past 'oppressors'. But may I remind you that the only two 'white races' that ever oppressed people were British and German. The Irish were treated worse than Slaveswere back in the mid 1800's.

My point: were still discriminating against others of different races. And for teh love of God, political correctness is a huge load of ****.
OK, what is your probelm? Someone just wanted to know what nationality Janet was. Not to point out that she is "less human" but to get it right in a fan fiction. If you want to know the answer to a question about something in the Ultimate Marvel Universe, is there anything wrong with coming to Ultimate Central to ask it?

Pandrio said:
OK, what is your probelm? Someone just wanted to know what nationality Janet was. Not to point out that she is "less human" but to get it right in a fan fiction. If you want to know the answer to a question about something in the Ultimate Marvel Universe, is there anything wrong with coming to Ultimate Central to ask it?

Sorry something totally unrelated had me in a knot. Sorry, but I think that we see things in terms of race way to often. Sometimes I wish college apps, job apps, etc. would forget the race portion of the form, or how kids these days tell other kids that they can't do something because they're 'not of color'. Sorry, about my anger getting the better of me. I was in high school a year ago, and all I saw was Asains=Smart/ninja, Bosnians=Badass, Black= Gangsta, White=Rich, Hispanic= Poor/thief, Jew=Greedy/Big nose, I mean I am absolutely tired of it. And sorry, I didn't need to know her ethnicity for an info blog you were doing. Sorry :wink:

Hawkeye101 said:
Sorry something totally unrelated had me in a knot. Sorry, but I think that we see things in terms of race way to often. Sometimes I wish college apps, job apps, etc. would forget the race portion of the form, or how kids these days tell other kids that they can't do something because they're 'not of color'. Sorry, about my anger getting the better of me. I was in high school a year ago, and all I saw was Asains=Smart/ninja, Bosnians=Badass, Black= Gangsta, White=Rich, Hispanic= Poor/thief, Jew=Greedy/Big nose, I mean I am absolutely tired of it. And sorry, I didn't need to know her ethnicity for an info blog you were doing. Sorry :wink:
Actually it was Jtg's story if you read above, and I agree with the race stuff, it just doesn't really fit with this thread. No problem :D.

Last edited:
Aye. I just need something so I can pin down a girl of the same ethnicity. It's for my version of Hank Pym's Maria -> Janet transference (where in 616 he's attracted to Janet because she reminds him of his dead ex-wife), and so I didn't want to have him attracted to a violet-eyed Chinese girl if it turns out Janet is Japanese, yunno? O_O

Think I'm going to go with Japanese. Like I pointed out above, if Lucy Liu is Chinese, that means Janet probably isn't or she wouldn't have made the comment, and... well, she could be Korean. The US Army still has a presence over there, no?

Hawkeye101 said:

:sure:

I had always assumed that Janet was part Japanese and part Dutch. The Dutch only because I'm unfamiliar with the Van prefix in any other nation.

But Janet has always had this very odd face, I don't think Hitch has conceived her look very well, her eyes have this very odd angled quality in a lot of frames, the only times I've seen a look like that is on a Russian face.

My best guess, which isn't worth owt really, is that she is actually parts Japanese and Dutch.

And Hawkeye, the Irish deserved it.

I projected and assumed she was half viet-namese. Lots of german-vietnamese for some reason, including the family of my sister's boyfriend. The girls of this family look a lot like Janet.

Hawkeye101 said:
You know what, the whole race thing is stupid. Janet being asian? So what? Who cares?

(...)

:lol:

The whole charge is PC driven which turns that last line into the fall of a good joke. Which maybe it is. I'm not familiar with Hawkeye101 style.

Last edited:
Hawkeye101 said:

lprc051001.gif

E.Vi.L. said:
I projected and assumed she was half viet-namese. Lots of german-vietnamese for some reason, including the family of my sister's boyfriend. The girls of this family look a lot like Janet.
Do they have a nicer rack than Betty Ross? :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back