What nationality IS Janet, anyways?

jtg3885

Banned
She makes that snide remark to Fury when he proposes Lucy Liu (sp?) play her in a movie, and so I'm left wondering if we know exactly what nationality she is? What nationality is Lucy, too? Cuz I imagine we can at least cross that off the possibility list.
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
Well, she's obviously something Asian, but she also said she grew up in a German army base...
 

jtg3885

Banned
*shrugs* So I'd lean towards her being the product of a Japanese shore leave accident, but that's still not very telling. All Germany means is that she's a military brat, not that she's German.
 

cmdrjanjalani

Well-Known Member
It hasn't been mentioned beyond that she's Asian. It is possible she is simply half-Asian since her last name is still Van Dyne.
 

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
Call it a fault on Hitch's part, but to me, she's never looked fully asian to me. I always just assumed that she was American Japanese.

I've worked in tourism before, and when you really look, it's pretty easy to tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese, or even Malaysian. To me, while you can hardly go on an artists interpretation, especially one who seems to be occassionaly inconsistent in the facial area, she does seem to be more Japanese that anything, probably the skin colour that implies that for me.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
We should (hopefully) know for sure with the Handbook this December.
 

Fredrik Martinsson

Formerly known as Ultimate Warrior
Fuzzy Birds said:
The Overlord said:
She seems half Asian and half Dutch to me. Van Dyke is a Dutch name.
Van Dyne mate. Janet Van Dyne.
Must have been wishful thinking :D
Ooooh, here comes the sweet thoughts of Janet, Scarlet Witch and Black Widow. See you in awhile!
 

Hawkeye101

Well-Known Member
I was under the impression that one parent (obviously the father) was white, and the other was asian (mommy), and both parents were several generations in from wherever they came from. So if daddy is dutch and mommy is Japanese? I highly doubt she'd partake in any of the customs of either parent's ancestors.

Oh anf for the record, Lucy Liu is also half white and half asian.
 

eroz

Well-Known Member
Hawkeye101 said:
Oh anf for the record, Lucy Liu is also half white and half asian.
No. Her parents were/are Chinese immigrants. She was born in Queens.
 

jtg3885

Banned
So Chinese is off the list. Lends more credence to the "dad knocked up someone while stationed in Japan" theory. And I doubt the handbook will tell us jack ****; the UFF/USM one didn't mention anything that wasn't explicitly stated in the comics.
 

Hawkeye101

Well-Known Member
jtg3885 said:
So Chinese is off the list. Lends more credence to the "dad knocked up someone while stationed in Japan" theory. And I doubt the handbook will tell us jack ****; the UFF/USM one didn't mention anything that wasn't explicitly stated in the comics.

It did tell citizenship, but I doubt that will tell us what nationality Janet is.
 

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
The Overlord said:
Whatever she still seems Dutch.

If it was Van Dijk or Van Duyne, then sure. But I have yet to encounter anyone with the family name Van Dyne. If it's Dutch, it's gotta be an old name from generations and generations ago, a quick gander in the local phone book comes up with no cases.
 

ourchair

Well-Known Member
I think we mean Janet's 'ethnicity'. To ask what 'nationality' she is, is asking what country she calls her mother/fatherland.

To wit: Janet is an American citizen, of vaguely Asian ethnicity, and may or may not have been once of Asian nationality. And is a mutant. That lays eggs.
 

The Overlord

Well-Known Member
Fuzzy Birds said:
If it was Van Dijk or Van Duyne, then sure. But I have yet to encounter anyone with the family name Van Dyne. If it's Dutch, it's gotta be an old name from generations and generations ago, a quick gander in the local phone book comes up with no cases.

Its likely an name from when her father's family moved to America in the 19th century.
 

ourchair

Well-Known Member
The Overlord said:
Its likely an name from when her father's family moved to America in the 19th century.
I've always been under the impression that "Van Dyne" was a name that Stan Lee completely made up/chose that sounded appropriately old-rich enough and that he didn't want to have a name-recognizable old rich family from New York like say, the Vanderbilts or Rockafellers share the Wasp's surname.
 

compound

Well-Known Member
ourchair said:
Janet is an American citizen, of vaguely Asian ethnicity. And is a mutant. That lays eggs.
... and Captain America. Victory Joe! She love him long time.


ourchair said:
I've always been under the impression that "Van Dyne" was a name that Stan Lee completely made up/chose that sounded appropriately old-rich enough and that he didn't want to have a name-recognizable old rich family from New York like say, the Vanderbilts or Rockafellers share the Wasp's surname.
Seriously,though, you're probably right (as usual), my friend. But if there's a real nead to identify Ultimate Wasp's ethnicity, I have a possible exxplanation: she's Vietnamese, or from somewhere else in Indo-China (maybe Cambodia or Burma). Her original family name could be Van Diem or Van Dien, which sound convincingly native to that region. She, or her family, then 'Romanized' or 'Westernized' their name accordingly, upon immigrating to the US, perhaps while fleeing the abuses of the Communist regime.

Also, keep in mind that we have no evidence whether or not she's adopted; all we know is that she grew up on a military base in Germany, yes?
 
Last edited:

ourchair

Well-Known Member
compound said:
Seriously,though, you're probably right (as usual), my friend. But if there's a real nead to identify Ultimate Wasp's ethnicity, I have a possible exxplanation: she's Vietnamese, or from somewhere else in Indo-China (maybe Cambodia or Burma). Her original family name could be Van Diem or Van Dien, which sound convincingly native to that region. She, or her family, then 'Romanized' or 'Westernized' their name accordingly, upon immigrating to the US, perhaps while fleeing the abuses of the Communist regime.
You should write the book on superhero diaspora.
 

Latest posts

Top