What should I get???

roguefan

helping myself to your chocolate biscuits
Right, I'm going into the city today, and have enough money to buy 2 comics. I want to start getting something new, not new as in just started, but new as in new to me. Does anyone have any good ideas. I prefer Marvel btw. And, I'd like it if the series was starting a new arc.

There's the Supreme Power mini-series "Hyperion" that just started. It's not bad.

I think 100 Bullets is worth it as the last issue to come out (#64 - it has two people bare-knuckle boxing on the cover) was a standalone, meaning the next issue will begin a new arc. It's for adult readers, but it's very good.

BPRD: The Black Flame #1 came out a couple of weeks back and is cool. It's a spin-off of Hellboy and this story is kinda like Aliens but in underground tunnels and frogmen.

Gotham Central is just about to finish an arc, but I think it's pretty good and you may want to wait until a new arc starts.

Off the top of my head, that's it. I think you should go in and see if anything catches your eye for whatever reason. :)

Is New Avengers worth getting? I want to get it from issue 11, the Ronin arc. I also want to get Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, MK Spider-Man and the other one next month. My hit list fro next month will then be:

New Avengers
FNSM
MKSM
The other SM title
House of M
Ultimate X-Men

What do you guys think?

roguefan said:
Is New Avengers worth getting? I want to get it from issue 11, the Ronin arc. I also want to get Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, MK Spider-Man and the other one next month. My hit list fro next month will then be:

New Avengers
FNSM
MKSM
The other SM title
House of M
Ultimate X-Men

What do you guys think?
Meh. There are other comic companeis other than Marvel. Oh, whats it called... the one that published the guy with the cape, and the guy of stee... DC! Oh yes. DC. I'm witth Bass. Gotham Central is pretty damn good.
Also, I believe Invincible just did its big Issue 25. Thats very good.

I love New Avengers. It's my 2nd favorite book, after only Ultimates 2. I would recommend it.

Bass suggested Supreme Power: Hyperion...it is pretty good, but after 1 issue in of each I like Supreme Power: Nighthawk better.

Also - Invinicble Iron Man by Ellis & Granov is AWESOME. It's not a true monthly so that might help the wallet, too. I couldn't recommend it enough. It's 4 issues in.

I've decided to get New Avengers in TPB, I'll order Volume 1 in HC next week. I've remembered that next January sees Nextwave start, so I've gotta save money for that. Also, X-Factor, New Excalibur and Generation M are also starting.

roguefan said:
I do hate, I MEAN HATE, DC. Most of their characters are so 1-sided.

8) This guys got his head screwed on more straight then the rest of you put together

roguefan said:

New Avengers
FNSM
MKSM
The other SM title
House of M
Ultimate X-Men

What do you guys think?

I think that is a great list roguefan. I purchase every one of those titles, and they are all great. Except for MKSM #13-18. That was complete and utter crap. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy it EVEN if you decide to be a MKSM completist. Trust me. It sucked big time. New Avengers is amazing ONLY if you read it in trades. I get it in single issues, but every time an arc ends, I go back and read the entire thing and it blows me away. Amazing Spider-Man, on the other hand, is what the NA should be. JMS writes the characters SO much better than Bendis, but he should stay put, because Spidey IS his main strength.

roguefan said:
I'm going to get New Avengers in trades now, mainly because I can save money that way. Also, I'm not so sure about the Spidey titles. I really want to read The Other though...

You could just wait for Spider-Man:The Other:Evolve Or Die:The Inevitable HC.

And a trade of it'll be out by March at the latest anyway so you dont have to buy them.

roguefan said:
I'm going to get Invincible when I can afford the HC, but I do hate, I MEAN HATE, DC. Most of their characters are so 1-sided.
Then you haven't read much DC.

Nurhachi said:
8) This guys got his head screwed on more straight then the rest of you put together
And you don't even know Morrison, Gaimen, or Moore, so you've got no room to talk.

Don't pick up Superman or Batman or anything like that, but try Gotham Central, Firestorm, Jack Cross (Only on issue #2), or Robin from DC.

If you're willing to look into non-big 2 companies I'd recomend Revelations from Dark Horse (Issue 2 is out wensday) or Fell from Image.

Or The Walking Dead. ALL MUST READ THE WALKING DEAD!

Nurhachi said:
But you like Carnage, so your opinion doesn't count. :D

UltimateE said:
Bass suggested Supreme Power: Hyperion...it is pretty good, but after 1 issue in of each I like Supreme Power: Nighthawk better.

Me too. But despite Nighthawk himself being written wonderfully, I think the lack of Way's ability to deliver exposition will mean Hyperion will turn out to be the better series.

UltimateE said:
Also - Invinicble Iron Man by Ellis & Granov is AWESOME. It's not a true monthly so that might help the wallet, too. I couldn't recommend it enough. It's 4 issues in.

He's right. I've been saying this since I picked it up - it's a wonderfully slow and emotional search for meaning. Beautiful series.

Also, you may "hate" DC, but I recommend 100 Bullets. It's about to start a new arc and it's a crime series and not set in the DCU. It's got nothing at all to do with Batman or Superman or whatever. It's a very good series and nothing to do with superheroes.

But... here's something. Anyone into New Avengers should do the following: Go into their comic book shop and pick up the first arc of JLA by Grant Morrison - JLA: New World Order. It collects #1-4. His run ended with #41 (JLA is currently on #11~) and was **** afterwards. During his run there's a couple of stories by Waid, and a No Man's Land tie-in, and also a single issue by Mark Millar, but it's mostly Morrison.

It is AMAZING and fabulous superhero fare. It's so exciting it's untrue. In it, you see a new superhero team that is more popular than the JLA, you see the death of an old JLA member, the discovery of an ancient city, the purge of the supervillains, the changing of the Sahara desert, an alien invasion, and if that wasn't enough, Batman proves unequivocably why he is, and always will be the coolest superhero ever made ever ever. Ever.

After you get "New World Order" I defy not to pick up the rest of his run. Straight after, we get the introduction of Tomorrow Woman who tries to kill the JLA from within, we get one of the major angels in Heaven start the apocalypse, the Key attempts to take control of the universe, Lex Luthor forms an anti-JLA using a cosmic artifact that the JLA discover is responsible for Darkseid taking over the world in the not-so distant future, a new villain debuts called Prometheus who is the 'anti-Batman' and is outrageously cool, reality falls apart when Julian September takes control of random chance, Adam Strange kidnaps the JLA to the alien planet of Rann, the Star Conqueror dominates Earth, the Ultramarines wage a war against the JLA, #27 is written by Mark Millar in which Amazo defeats the JLA on his own, the JLA and the JSA team-up against an invasion of omnipotent gods from the 5th dimension... and the last arc is simply called "World War III".

And I'm missing out most of the villains in it, such as Triumph and... well, I don't want to spoil it for you.

It's such a run.

Last edited:
Baxter said:
Then you haven't read much DC.

And you don't even know Morrison, Gaimen, or Moore, so you've got no room to talk.

Don't pick up Superman or Batman or anything like that, but try Gotham Central, Firestorm, Jack Cross (Only on issue #2), or Robin from DC.

If you're willing to look into non-big 2 companies I'd recomend Revelations from Dark Horse (Issue 2 is out wensday) or Fell from Image.

Or The Walking Dead. ALL MUST READ THE WALKING DEAD!

The Walking Dead is the only non-Ultimate title I read. Every time a new issue is out, I'm picking it up. Truly is a great book. And with Kirkman doing that Marvel Zombies mini, its a perfect blend of two of my favorite books (The Walking Dead and the Ultimate titles...well, in that multi-verse way).

Seacow said:
What's wrong with Carnage?

We say him once as Venom. Then we had to see him again with more attitude, homicidal tendencies, and color as Carnage. Now we get to see him a third time as a mix between the first two in attitude and costume, but with the nice guy cop mentality thrown in as Toxin. I think the next symbiote will be a transgendered McDonald's drive-thru employee...y'know, just to mix it up a little.

And I'm not going to say DC sucks. I definitly prefer Marvel and could just never get into DC's characters other than Batman. Superman is a complete tool, Wonder Woman is about as three-dimensional as tissue paper, and the team books I couldn't even get interested in at all (JLA, Teen Titans, etc). I'm not saying they're bad, just not my thing. I've been a Marvel Zombie since I was a kid, with my one true DC favorite Batman standing out aongst all though. Batman is by far the best character in all of comics, but overall Marvel is just more up my alley. Especially since they launched the Ultimate line. But thats just me.

Latest posts

Back