What's the worst thing to happen to/in comics?

What's the worst to happen to/in comics?

• Xorn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xorn's Twin

• Red Hulk

• Spider-Man: The Other

• Judd Winnick

• Rob Liefeld

• Total voters

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Comics have had many bad/horrible/craptastic/etc. things happen since Loeb said, "I have an idea!". So what do you think is the worst? Maybe you'd like to create a list here of your Top [insert number here] of the bad crappy moments. From whether it's about characters, story arcs, certain scenes, deaths.... you choose!

And I know it might be hard to choose say a story arc over a character, but the point is to just pick what you think has been the worst.

Re: What's the worst thing to happen to comics?

In comics: Nothing can top Jeph Loeb coming to Marvel and being allowed to write Wolverine, Hulk and the Ultimates and ruining all of them.

To comics: The 90s.

Last edited:

If anyone has anything else they think should be up there, let me know before you vote and I can add it on.

Last edited:
Re: What's the worst thing to happen in comics?

Cassandra Cain's face-heel turn and subsequent disappearance from DC.

If I had to pick one of these, I'd have to say One More Day. All these are pretty bad, though, and the decision was closer then I thought it'd be.

But personally, I think the worst thing to happen to comics was the Dark Age. Largely because despite the damage it caused to the industry, not a whole lot of writers and publishers have learned lessons from it.

I voted for One More Day.

Just remembered another one: MJ/Aunt May in Iron Man suits fighting Doombots. That was just plain out stupidity.

Edit: I was reminded the above is part of "The Other". It's still horrible.

Last edited:

Just remembered another one: MJ/Aunt May in Iron Man suits fighting Doombots. That was just plain out stupidity.

Edit: I was reminded the above is part of "The Other". It's still horrible.

Thank Reginald Hudlin for that shiny turd. He should stick to directing sitcoms.

Without the 90s or "Big Crossover Events", I had to pick the one guy who'll take any title and turn it into a gauntlet of guest stars and cameos and splash pages with no sense of plot; the Loeb.

For this poll, it's teh Loeb. No doubt.

To comics: The 90s.

But overall, it's this. Sort of. The 90s implosion was not a cause, it was a result. And it's all tied in to the acquisition of Marvel by Ronald O. Perelman. He overproduced books and jacked the cover price up far beyond the rate of inflation - people dropped books in droves and quality took a nosedive. He made a bunch of nonsensical acquisitions then dumped the stock and walked away with a huge profit and left the company to rot, and it did almost to the point of death.

While OMD probably made me the maddest out of all the things listed in this poll, it hasn't negatively affected ASM in the long term. I love the series currently and i enjoy getting it three times a month.

Jeph Loeb on the other hand...

I hate OMD but as most pointed out, it does Help Spidey even though the way to do that was retarded. It was jsut one story.

But Loeb killed an entire line. HE KILLED AN ENTIRE LINE. Sure there's still Round-headed Spider-man and his amazing friends, Millar with free reign just gets too crazy and is only a shell of his former greatness in the UU, and of course LOEB IS STILL THERE.

Seriously?

Heroes Reborn.

Heroes. Reborn.

Guys.

Heroes Reborn.

I missed it the first time around and recently I've been torturing myself by trying to make my way through it. Written by Rob Liefeld AND Jim Valentino AND Jeph Loeb. I don't mean they tag off for different issues. I mean they all teamed up to write the same issues together. It's even more horrid than you might expect. It took me about a week to make it through the first issue.

As for the Ultimate Universe, it was pretty ugly even before Loeb jumped on.

Last edited:
Seriously?

Heroes Reborn.

Heroes. Reborn.

Guys.

Heroes Reborn.

I missed it the first time around and recently I've been torturing myself by trying to make my way through it. Written by Jeph Loeb AND Jim Valentino AND Jeph Loeb. I don't mean they tag off for different issues. I mean they all teamed up to write the same issues together. It's even more horrid than you might expect. It took me about a week to make it through the first issue.
Then that Heroes Reborn mini with Liefeld. LIEFELD.

Then that Heroes Reborn mini with Liefeld. LIEFELD.

:D That was supposed to say written by Rob Liefeld, Jeph Loeb, and Jim Valentino. Really. All star team right there.

(Oh! Preview of Captain America issue one!

"Stan Lee Proudly Presents Courage
Rockin' Rob Liefeld: Story/Pencils/Assists
Jazzin' Jeph Loeb: Writer
(Plot Assist by Chuck Dixon)
Jovial Jon Sibal: Inker
Bombastic Brian Haberlin: Colors
EXTREME COLOR(!): Separations
Righteous Richard Starkings with(!) COMICCRAFT'S David Lanphear: Letters
Bouncin'(?) Bob Haras: Editor

Man.... I can't wait to read this.

Last edited:
It seemed like Loeb was so bad he had to be put twice. Which is true.

Hahaha. I don't know. I feel like Loeb... uuhh.... isn't necessarily any worse than other terrible comic book creators who came along in the nineties. He's just, inexplicably, the last one standing.

Seriously?

Heroes Reborn.

Heroes. Reborn.

Guys.

Heroes Reborn.

I missed it the first time around and recently I've been torturing myself by trying to make my way through it. Written by Rob Liefeld AND Jim Valentino AND Jeph Loeb. I don't mean they tag off for different issues. I mean they all teamed up to write the same issues together. It's even more horrid than you might expect. It took me about a week to make it through the first issue.

I don't disagree, but that, again, is a direct consequence of the Marvel bankruptcy I referenced earlier.

Latest posts

Back