Which Comic Books Should Be Turned Into Movies?

Re: What comic book movies would like to see made?

They did?

Yeah, just because they did a crappy of job of it didn't mean they didn't make those FF movies in the first place.

Well, that's pretty narrow-minded of you, don't you think?

Lets be realistic exactly how are supposed to put Galactus on the silver screen, because making him a cloud sucks.

Yeah, just because they did a crappy of job of it didn't mean they didn't make those FF movies in the first place.
I wasn't pretending those films didn't exist. I meant that I wanted a Fantastic Four film that's like fantastic to happen. Which is exactly what you responded to, and was exactly the answer I had to the question you pose for this thread.

What comic book movies would I like to see made? Why a fantastic Fantastic Four film. Not just A Fantastic Four film, but a fantastic one. It still falls within the scope of the question, yes? ;)

The Overlord said:
Lets be realistic exactly how are supposed to put Galactus on the silver screen, because making him a cloud sucks.
Galactus is over-rated anyway. How about a fantastic Fantastic Four movie, that avoids the problem of Galactus by um, NOT dealing with Galactus.

Galactus is over-rated anyway. How about a fantastic Fantastic Four movie, that avoids the problem of Galactus by um, NOT dealing with Galactus.

Galactus isn't over-rated, but their are dozens upon dozens of great FF villains they could use before getting around big G

Skrulls, Inhumans, Doom, Namor, Annihilus/Negative Zone, Mole Man, etc.

they went 50-odd issue's before Big-G showed up.

I think everyone's assumption that Galactus wouldn't work on the big screen is way off base, anything if presented well enough can work.

Last edited:

I'm gonna agree with DK. And with ourchair.

And for the record---arguing about the Fantastic Four with ourchair is like arguing with Mark Millar on Superman. There is no other option but his.

I'd like to see a re-do of From Hell.

I haven't seen the actual adaptation, but I find it hard to believe that it could've at all done justice to what is probably the most well-crafted comic book story I've ever read.

I can so clearly see how it would look if done right: everything grainy and all the colors washed out to the point where it's just shy of black and white, the whole film bizarre and surreal. I think I've mentioned before that I think Marlon Brando would've been the perfect choice for Gull if he were alive, but I think I'd settle for Philip Seymour Hoffman with some pounds packed on and some serious make-up.

And for the love of God, no Johnny Depp.
Heroes for Hire
the Inhumans, or the Eternals
Annihilation
That rumoured Del Toro/Gaiman Doctor Strange movie
Silver Surfer: Requiem
The Irredeemable Ant-Man
NEXTWAVE!!!!
If NEXTWAVE!! was to be a movie, Warren Ellis must write it. MUST.
Nextwave wouldn't work in film.

As a new half-hour animated series on [adult swim]?

Now we're talking.

Robert Rodriguez's Dick Tracy
Warren Ellis' Ocean
The Authority
A Daredevil Reboot
Green Lantern
Y The Last Man
Hellblazer

Galactus isn't over-rated, but their are dozens upon dozens of great FF villains they could use before getting around big G

Skrulls, Inhumans, Doom, Namor, Annihilus/Negative Zone, Mole Man, etc.

they went 50-odd issue's before Big-G showed up.
Exactly.

I may be going a little too far in saying Galactus is over-rated, but doing a movie doesn't HAVE to involve him. I mean if you absolutely firmly believe he can't work on the big screen, then just don't do him. It's not like you can't do Fantastic Four without him.

And I find it ridiculous to suggest that certain things 'just won't work in live action,' or that 'the idea is too smart for a broad audience' regardless of whether we're talking about Fantastic Four or not.

Profitable film making is not an exact science or an experimental setup. People often talk about how 'well they tried idea X with movie Y, and it bombed so any movie Z with an idea similar to idea X will probably fail.' but that's tantamount to saying that if a movie flopped, then its the idea that is automatically at fault, and completely discounts the fact that from idea to celluloid, the film goes through thousands of changes, refinements, contributions and rewrites and edits before it becomes what we see: a thing of beauty, complete tripe or something in between.

Yet somehow tell me that a pitch which says, "A teenager accidentally being thrown into the 1950s and discovers his parents were young once too, and this happens while he experiences a creepy Oedipus sensation from being hit on by his own mother. And this is a serious dramatic narrative, that we're going to play for laughs... to an all ages audience," does not look like insanity. Well, it's Back to the Future.

How about: "Let's make a movie based on a theme park attraction. Let's shell out more money than that theme park attraction has generated in twenty years. Let's not put any stars in it and have it directed by a guy whose credits include a remake of a Japanese horror film and beer commercials featuring frogs." Well, it's Pirates of the Carribean.

So, Overlord, when you say, "Somethings just don't work in live action and I think FF might be one of them," you're basically saying, "Four guys go up in space come back having weird powers and then decide to become super-famous explorer-scientist-heroes while fighting tin-plated dictators and their own petty differences," is just not for the movies.

Also, you're question is "What comic book movies would you like to see made?" I think Fantastic Four is a perfectly legitimate answer, as you never qualified whether or not that excludes franchises that have already been done before.

Exactly.

I may be going a little too far in saying Galactus is over-rated, but doing a movie doesn't HAVE to involve him. I mean if you absolutely firmly believe he can't work on the big screen, then just don't do him. It's not like you can't do Fantastic Four without him.

And I find it ridiculous to suggest that certain things 'just won't work in live action,' or that 'the idea is too smart for a broad audience' regardless of whether we're talking about Fantastic Four or not.

Profitable film making is not an exact science or an experimental setup. People often talk about how 'well they tried idea X with movie Y, and it bombed so any movie Z with an idea similar to idea X will probably fail.' but that's tantamount to saying that if a movie flopped, then its the idea that is automatically at fault, and completely discounts the fact that from idea to celluloid, the film goes through thousands of changes, refinements, contributions and rewrites and edits before it becomes what we see: a thing of beauty, complete tripe or something in between.

Yet somehow tell me that a pitch which says, "A teenager accidentally being thrown into the 1950s and discovers his parents were young once too, and this happens while he experiences a creepy Oedipus sensation from being hit on by his own mother. And this is a serious dramatic narrative, that we're going to play for laughs... to an all ages audience," does not look like insanity. Well, it's Back to the Future.

How about: "Let's make a movie based on a theme park attraction. Let's shell out more money than that theme park attraction has generated in twenty years. Let's not put any stars in it and have it directed by a guy whose credits include a remake of a Japanese horror film and beer commercials featuring frogs." Well, it's Pirates of the Carribean.

So, Overlord, when you say, "Somethings just don't work in live action and I think FF might be one of them," you're basically saying, "Four guys go up in space come back having weird powers and then decide to become super-famous explorer-scientist-heroes while fighting tin-plated dictators and their own petty differences," is just not for the movies.

Also, you're question is "What comic book movies would you like to see made?" I think Fantastic Four is a perfectly legitimate answer, as you never qualified whether or not that excludes franchises that have already been done before.
Well said, Ourchair. Well friggin' said.

Not with H.E.R.B.I.E instead of the human torch!

:rockon:

This is one of the best ideas to ever feature on Ultimate Central. Stan Lee would have to voice him.

Also...I know it's not really possible at the moment, but would a Miracleman movie not be the coolest thing ever? It would actually be even better if it came out at the same time as a big-budget blockbuster Shazam movie, so initially, casual filmgoers would dismiss it as a carbon copy, but upon seeing it...they'd have their worlds turned upside down.

Last edited:
This is why I'm scared of talking to you on Skype.

Latest posts

Back