Which is your favourite Star Wars film/incarnation?

Which is your favourite Star Wars film/incarnation?

• "Star Wars" (Original Theatrical Version)

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • "The Empire Strikes Back" (Original Theatrical Version)

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • "Return of the Jedi" (Original Theatrical Version)

• Episode IV: A New Hope

• Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace

• Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

• The Clone Wars

• Star Wars Holiday Special

• Spaceballs

• Other

• Total voters
Not to sound douche-y, but I always thought that the people who are so adamant about the original versions being better only say that because they think it gives them some kind of weird geek cred or something. Because it's fashionable to hate George Lucas or something.

The new versions don't change the story (except maybe for Greedo shooting first, but really even that is a minor thing if you can take off your nerd glasses and look at it objectively) and look five billion times better.

You're right. I like the original versions better because they were...well how do I put this, like raw magic. The first times the top movie franchise was viewed through my childhood eyes and the first time the world got to experience something of that magnitude was with the original versions.

That being said I'm also on the Lucas/Spielberg hate train. I love their work but I believe the Star Wars franchise has sold out and has turned into overkill and the whole daddy/son angle in all of their movies is tired.

Not to sound douche-y, but I always thought that the people who are so adamant about the original versions being better only say that because they think it gives them some kind of weird geek cred or something. Because it's fashionable to hate George Lucas or something.

The new versions don't change the story (except maybe for Greedo shooting first, but really even that is a minor thing if you can take off your nerd glasses and look at it objectively) and look five billion times better.

They not change the basic story of the movies but they do change a lot.

Greedo shooting first changes the character of Han.

Anakin returning as Hayden's ghost in an outfit he never wore. Seems retarded to me.

Jar Jar surviving all 6 movies. Ok I'm not saying kill him (though that would be good) but end of ROTJ did we really need to hear "wesa free" from Jar Jar?

The Emperor's hologram I understood. (It contradicted one of the EU books, but lets not go there.) It sounded great and on paper = good idea however it looked like **** when it was pulled off so it ruined all the good things about it.

The Jabba the Hutt scene had been improved from 97 which that was good.

Now I won't list every change as that would but be pointless but some changes are pointless and the fact he is editing the originals to fit the prequels is good for the overall story but bad when you think. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I prefer the original versions I do. However I still enjoyed the 97 ones and the dvd ones. One thing I will say is the dvd versions almost made Return of the Jedi a watch-able movie (something it really wasn't before) however the Jar Jar and ghost scenes ruined that for me.

I rate them like this Original > Vhs edits > 2004 > 1997

I like the originals better because the excessive CGI is very distracting and I disagree with most of the changes they made. The originals feel more like serious cinema while the worked-over ones feel more like kids' movies.

Also, I prefer to watch movies in as close a mindset as I can draw up to how they were seen at the time. I want to see Star Wars as it appeared in 1977 to a 1977er. I'm not talking picture-quality or things like that, remaster the heck out of those. I'm talking about the content.

If it's a matter of "this is what I wanted to do at the time, but couldn't afford it or it wasn't technically possible[or something]", then I condone filmmakers altering their old films(although they still run the risk of making it worse to others).

But if it's a matter of "I never thought of it at the time, but now that we have (Money, CGI,etc) I can try and make the movie even better using ideas I got this year!" I'm opposed to it because it's not the same you who made the movie that's making these changes. It's future you.

This is a fair point.

However, degustibus non disputandem. I really don't care to debate over which version is better, and I don't think it's even the most valid reason to be a Special Edition hater. I mean it IS valid, but not THE most valid one.

My real problem with the new editions? George Lucas not making up his mind, and not getting over a bunch of movies film he did two decades ago and being a total control freak.

The original effects that have been overwritten are an essential part of the overall history of Special Effects within the cinema. Everything looks amazing in the originals, and the only reason to change it up was George Lucas' egotism.

I am absolutely fine with the new versions, as long as he keeps the old ones available. It's Lucas' series, he is the artist, but in the effort to keep the old movies fresh, he loses the deeper passion that was put into the original trilogy. Think of all the people working day and night to finish the models and the sound design in the seventies and eighties whose necessary and AMAZING contributions to the cinematic artform were briefly erased from all versions of the films when they released the Special Editions before episode one, and remained missing from availability until Lucas allowed the current run of the Originals with the New.

It's just so much more impressive to watch the old ones and think of how they completely reimagined the possibilities of special effects, outdoing EVERYTHING that came before.

That's why I prefer the originals.

Edit: Forgot my biggest gripe with the remastered stuff: 20-something Hayden Christiansen Anakin Skywalker ghost. NO! No no NO! What I always loved was that it was like he didn't really waste his life because as a Jedi ghost he still gets to be who he would have been! Not just that the last 20 years vanish and he's Luke's age again! ****.

That's a very interesting point and I was thinking something along those lines myself, the other day. If he turns back into Hayden Christensen the way he looked in Episode III, then he's basically turning back into the angry young man on the path to the dark side he was in Episode III. If Lucas wanted to turn him back into "happy, before he turned to the dark side" Anakin, he should have had pre-pubescent Anakin from Episode I. :lol:

I also love Revenge of the Sith, despite all of the problems it has. Natalie Portman is terrible in it, but seeing the whole story come together is great and the last 10 minutes or so are also great.

Revenge of the Sith is easily the best of the prequels and is tremendous fun. But even Ian McDiarmid's EXCELLENT Darth Plagueis speech can't make up for what I still believe is the worst line in movie history:

Anakin: You are so beautiful.

Padmé: It's only because I'm so much in love.

Anakin: No! It's only because I'm so much in love with you!

:arrgh:

As far as incarnations, I prefer the most recent "fix-up" versions (I think those are the ones that were done for the DVDs).

Yup.

I don't have any problem with George Lucas updating things with new technology, although I don't care for Greedo shooting first.

Yeah, in fact I fully condone it. There's something nice about a guy (without a whole lot of money to begin with) being able to just create this big sci-fi saga and having full control over it and then being able to go back and perfect all of its tiny imperfections without interference from the studios.

But yeah...Greedo shooting first...wtf?!

So in conclusion, I would have to say that the remastered version of Return of the Jedi is probably my favourite Star Wars movie.

Greedo shooting first changes the character of Han.

Anakin returning as Hayden's ghost in an outfit he never wore. Seems retarded to me.

Jar Jar surviving all 6 movies. Ok I'm not saying kill him (though that would be good) but end of ROTJ did we really need to hear "wesa free" from Jar Jar?

But really, none of those change the movies. You made your points in a lucid manner, but most people that ***** about this stuff act like George Lucas just raped them or something. It's like Planet-man with Blu-ray - just *****ing because they have something to ***** about, no matter how completely irrational they sound.

The original effects that have been overwritten are an essential part of the overall history of Special Effects within the cinema.

:sure:

Come on.

But really, none of those change the movies. You made your points in a lucid manner, but most people that ***** about this stuff act like George Lucas just raped them or something. It's like Planet-man with Blu-ray - just *****ing because they have something to ***** about, no matter how completely irrational they sound.

Come on.

Have to agree on all counts. I'm tired of people overstating how Star Wars changed something about special effects. I still believe that title goes to 2001, it was the first to use miniatures in a realistic manner, it was the first to accurately reflect the rigors of space, etc. Star Wars was and will always be a kids' movie (and I'm not saying that is a bad thing, the original trilogy in all its forms is in my top 10 list).

Revenge of the Sith is easily the best of the prequels and is tremendous fun. But even Ian McDiarmid's EXCELLENT Darth Plagueis speech can't make up for what I still believe is the worst line in movie history:

I'm with you on that one.

But really, none of those change the movies.

They do though just not the overall story. E.g Greedo shooting first removes how cut throat Han was before he met luke and princess leia. So while the story is still in tack, His redemption is cheapened and made look to like less than it is.

Original he goes from a guy who is ruthless when he needs to be, Shoot first ask questions letter. Then he did the right thing even going to help Luke during the death star run. Now he was already kind of honourable so him changing isn't as big.

So while it's not a Major plot point of the movie it was a scene that defined who a main character was. So it takes something away from a main character. That is a big change that did not need to be made.

Imagine if in Batman comics they decided to re-release comics but edited , Then it came to Robin his parents were not killed just injured. It changes motivations and pretty much WHO he is.. It would be outrageous.

You made your points in a lucid manner, but most people that ***** about this stuff act like George Lucas just raped them or something.

Thank you. Yeah I don't ***** about the evil of Lucas as Bottom line I'm still a star wars fan. I like the OT and the PT. I think he messed up as a director and a story teller when he writes a prequel and has to go back and change the original to match prequel. It should be Prequels written to match Originals.

However the new versions are still worth having and the documentaries it comes with (like Empire Of Dreams) are really great to watch. Also I know a couple of people who had never seen star wars before and when I put it on for them I put on the new ones as the cleaner better picture looks like the Prequels and is easier for new people to watch.

But I'm not cursing Lucas as lets face it if he announced tomorrow episodes VII-IX, Sure I would think it was a mistake making them but I grantee I'll be hyped up for them and watch and love them when they came out.

That is still better than the "Are you an Angel? I've heard the deep space pilots talk about them. They live on the moons of Iego, I think. They're the most beautiful creatures in the universe" Line from episode I. That made me cringe.

Last edited:

Totally. And Natalie Portman was just awful in it, and her part from Mustafar on forward was pretty much unwatchable.

But really, none of those change the movies.

I disagree. Han shooting Greedo first fundamentally affects his character for the rest of the trilogy.

The rest of the stuff IS mostly just details. Personally, I happen to dislike most of them for various individual reasons, or at least find them too distracting to be worth it.

You made your points in a lucid manner, but most people that ***** about this stuff act like George Lucas just raped them or something.

It drives me nuts when people do that about this too, because I'm still an immense fan of Lucas and the changes, with the exception of the Han thing, are minimal and don't effect the story too much.

The only thing I'd be mad at him for is what DSF was talking about where for a while the original versions of the films were literally unavaliable, because if you preferred them it would be very frustrating to have lost that. Thankfully, it didn't last.

It's like Planet-man with Blu-ray - just *****ing because they have something to ***** about, no matter how completely irrational they sound.

Please stop flaming me. This has nothing to do with this thread.

Come on.

I think DSF makes a very valid point, Star Wars WAS a huge part of film history and I get a lot of enjoying out of thinking about that when I watch it.

Last edited:
Please stop flaming me. This has nothing to do with this thread.

Like I said in the other thread, it was a total joke. Sorry if you didn't take it that way.

And while I don't like the fact that now Greedo shot first, I completely disagree with the idea that it fundamentally changes the character of Han Solo. That's ridiculous.

Like I said in the other thread, it was a total joke. Sorry if you didn't take it that way.

And while I don't like the fact that now Greedo shot first, I completely disagree with the idea that it fundamentally changes the character of Han Solo. That's ridiculous.
Me too.

If Greedo shot last, it means that Han Solo is a bad-***. If Greedo shot first, then it means that Greedo just beat him to it and missed, while Han didn't... making him STILL a bad-***.

If Greedo shot last, it means that Han Solo is a bad-***. If Greedo shot first, then it means that Greedo just beat him to it and missed, while Han didn't... making him STILL a bad-***.

Exactly.

I can't think of another point in any of the films where Han acts in this manner, anyway.

No like I mentioned, If Han shot first it makes him a shoot first ask questions later bad-***. If Greedo shoots first it means Han wouldn't shoot anyone unless they shot at him first which is kind of noble.

It is a BIG difference in character. I am 100% against this change.

Latest posts

Back