Which was better? Superman Returns vs. Batman Begins

Which DC flick was better?

• Superman Returns

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Batman Begins

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't really see what the big deal about Batman Begins was. Everyone goes on about how great it was, but I thought it was just slightly over average the normal comic film.

Then again, I've never been a big fan of Batman. :x

*FLAMED*

I liked Superman Returns much more, but the son thing could have been done much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much better.

Last edited:
Batman Begins was a let down for me. Better than the rest of the Batman movies (except the first two) but I hate hate hated the camera work on each of the fights.

Superman Returns already had points lost due to Singer directing but overall the story was better. It was way to long as well.

I say Superman Returns wins. I didn't really like either of them though.

I strongly disagree.

I think the 3 greatest superhero movies ever are Spider-Man, Batman Begins, and X2(no particular order).

After that, Spidey 2 and Superman: The Movie.

THEN Superman Returns, then everything else.

Spider-Man was good, but it gets far too dull when I go to watch it again. X-Men 2 was probably the best in the series, but I don't really like any of the X-Men movies.

Spider-Man 2 was also good, but it shares the same cons as the first one did. I haven't seen Superman: The Movie in years, but I don't like the turning back time thing (which was reused for the Donner cut of Superman 2!).

Spider-Man was good, but it gets far too dull when I go to watch it again. X-Men 2 was probably the best in the series, but I don't really like any of the X-Men movies.

Spider-Man 2 was also good, but it shares the same cons as the first one did. I haven't seen Superman: The Movie in years, but I don't like the turning back time thing (which was reused for the Donner cut of Superman 2!).

You know, I honestly have less of a problem with the turning back time thing than I have with Superman lifting an island mostly made of kryptonite.

Also, I'm stunned at how many people in this thread are tearing BB apart simply because of the tightly-shot physical fights. They make up about 2% of the movie. You're gonna let SR beat it over that?

Last edited:
I haven't seen Superman: The Movie in years, but I don't like the turning back time thing (which was reused for the Donner cut of Superman 2!).

It was reused cause thats how superman 2 originally was suppose to end, they were filming one and two back to back and they found they didnt have a climatic ending for the first one. And I didnt like that either until I thought of it in a poetic way. We see he saves the day but not the one woman he cares about so he defies the laws on nature to turn the world back for her

You know, I honestly have less of a problem with the turning back time thing than I have with Superman lifting an island mostly made of kryptonite.

Also, I'm stunned at how many people in this thread are tearing BB apart simply because of the tightly-shot physical fights. They make up about 2% of the movie. You're gonna let SR beat it over that?

Good point. It just really bothers me and stood out.

Note: Planet-Man has the best opinions on movies ever.

I could go on volumes as to why I think Batman Begins is both ingenious AND overrated, but the more important thing I need to say is that Superman Returns is a complete and utter load of bullcrap.

There were some nice touches to be sure: A likable Jimmy Olsen, Kevin Spacey chewing up the scenery like a big goofball and the wonderful absurdity of 'real-estate is my evil plan'...but if this was a film that was supposed to be a testament piece on "Why Is Superman Great?" then it failed.

Superman is a pathetic stalker who doesn't do much of anything that is super. Not only does he fail to do anything more interesting than hurl big chunks of rock and save falling planes, but he never seems to be given any dilemmas where he has to make A Hard Decision.

To be fair, I felt that at many times, the characterization and dialogue seemed to be going somewhere were opportunities to remark on why Metropolis needed a Superman or on what makes him Great, but too often they would zig where they should have zagged and the end result was a piece that seemed to strongly depend on the viewer having accepted that Superman Is Necessary and Great as a given proposition.

Superman Returns is really just Bryan Singer masturbating.

Nay. The 2 of you are not alone. You have Doom's support in the fight.

Seriously. While Batman Begins was just a great film...not just comic book movie...but actual film, Superman Returns is just that much more greater.

Unfortunately this debate will be more in tune with who people think is better. Batman fans will side with Batman. Superman fans will stand along side Superman.

Superman is the better film.

Agreed!

My grades:

Superman Returns: B+
Batman Begins: B

Unfortunately this debate will be more in tune with who people think is better. Batman fans will side with Batman. Superman fans will stand along side Superman.

Superman is the better film.

I think it's the opposite actually. Many of Superman fans(myself included) were especially disappointed with SR because a lot of the time Superman acts very out-of-character(heck, the whole plot plot of the film, Superman leaving Earth for years and years just because someone with the same genetic material as him might exist in another galaxy, is horrendously selfish and out-of-character).

Batman Begins is the better film. It's plot-hole free and 100% true to its main character.

And let me just say I'm totally unbiased on this because Batman and Superman are tied as my two favourite Superheroes ever.

Batman Begins is the better film. It's plot-hole free and 100% true to its main character.

I was going to say that but I can't vote but still.

Batman begins has one thing I hate the damn tank but Superman returns has nothing redeemable at all. SR is like I've said barely better than Catwoman but at least catwoman I could watch all the way through (catwoman looked berry bery sexy in her outfit. mmm i would hit that all day)

I thought both were in the top 5 greatest comics movies of all time, but I can't really decide a clear victor between the two. Batman is a movie you watch over and over again to see how friggin awesome Batman is. Superman is a movie you watch every once in a while but get amazed by when you watch it. IMO both of the movie's sequels will be much better than these two.

I .....

:sure: did he just ........

I ..........

bugger it

*walks off*

See.....here's the thing Mole that I don't understand---you throw you're hands up in the air and whine about "how you're not gonna waste anymore time explaining or talking about how and why LotR, King Kong or whatever other movie that is considered overal 'great' pretty much sucks to you" but then you bait discussion with this?

Ok fine....I'll play.

Blue is entitled to his opinion, just as you are yours. I, personally, love Superman Returns. I actually find myself watching it almost every weekend. Just randomly thru the day I'll be trying to decide what DVD to put on next and somehow I, unconsciously, I end up putting Superman in.

And I marvel at it.

Not because of the story......because I've seen it so much that the story means pretty much nothing to me. But I am still amazed at the cinematography of it all. I marvel at the fact that it genuinely looks real at Routh's flying parts. Like he doesn't need wires....but just actually looks like he just takes off.

I marvel at-----you know what----I give up.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this with you. I won't change your mind....and that's fine......but why I'm arguing over the greatness of a movie with a guy who thought "Incredibles" was boring but couldn't contain his giddyness for Tim Allen's "Zoom" is beyond me?

I'm not trying to be mean or flat out tease, flame, or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays......but while you might be an ok guy---you do realize that your "critiques" or "opinions" on films, cartoons, comics.........and pretty much everything that is discussed here don't count?

Loonatics a sure fire hit? Won't read Watchmen because you don't like DC? Zoom better than Incredibles?

HA! :lol:

I'm surprised my fingers cared long enough to even write this far.

While you might be an ok guy and I'll continue to joke on other topics and threads with you----I am seriously done debating stuff with you on this thread or any other thread here.

Batman Begins is a far superior film. It captured a realistic look at a superhero damn near perfectly IMHO. Bale's Batman was perfect, Caine as Alfred was great, and they managed to do something that was very difficult. Bring Scarecrow to the big screen without making him look campy and actually making him a sinister and scary villain.

Honestly I have never liked Superman, not just the new film, but the character in general, so my opinion is kinda biased. Lex Luthor was a fantastic villain in SR, but there was nothing else about the film I enjoyed. I found it far too dull. I could watch it again if someone wanted to, but I wouldn't do it out of choice. Its not Batman and Robin or Catwoman bad, but I just didn't enjoy it.

I could go on volumes as to why I think Batman Begins is both ingenious AND overrated, but the more important thing I need to say is that Superman Returns is a complete and utter load of bullcrap.

There were some nice touches to be sure: A likable Jimmy Olsen, Kevin Spacey chewing up the scenery like a big goofball and the wonderful absurdity of 'real-estate is my evil plan'...but if this was a film that was supposed to be a testament piece on "Why Is Superman Great?" then it failed.

Superman is a pathetic stalker who doesn't do much of anything that is super. Not only does he fail to do anything more interesting than hurl big chunks of rock and save falling planes, but he never seems to be given any dilemmas where he has to make A Hard Decision.

To be fair, I felt that at many times, the characterization and dialogue seemed to be going somewhere were opportunities to remark on why Metropolis needed a Superman or on what makes him Great, but too often they would zig where they should have zagged and the end result was a piece that seemed to strongly depend on the viewer having accepted that Superman Is Necessary and Great as a given proposition.

Superman Returns is really just Bryan Singer masturbating.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I loathed Superman Returns. So much, in fact, I don't even think I'll be watching the sequel.

Last edited:
First I just want to point out

Blue is entitled to his opinion, just as you are yours.
This followed by
Loonatics a sure fire hit? Won't read Watchmen because you don't like DC? Zoom better than Incredibles?

HA! :lol:

proves your a hypocrite!

I, personally, love Superman Returns. I actually find myself watching it almost every weekend. Just randomly thru the day I'll be trying to decide what DVD to put on next and somehow I, unconsciously, I end up putting Superman in.

And I marvel at it.

Not because of the story......because I've seen it so much that the story means pretty much nothing to me. But I am still amazed at the cinematography of it all. I marvel at the fact that it genuinely looks real at Routh's flying parts. Like he doesn't need wires....but just actually looks like he just takes off.

See that's my point dude. Not to insult you or anything but saying your amazed by a film but care nothing about the story only seeing him and fly and stuff. The story should be the key to making the movie.

Go watch the Godfather 1+2 , Schindler's List , Casablanca I could write more theses films are legendary or maybe a better word would be Iconic. Do you know why? The story and the directing come together great

See you don't care about the story but what you do care about is the effects? CGI DOES NOT MAKE A MOVIE GREAT. Now I've heard some others say superman returns was good and say about the story. I disagree but even if I respond to it At least I respect it.

Sorry dude I can not respect the opinions of "a film is great because it has good effects. the story? no i don't care about that" I can't unless your a 10 year old kid to whom the effects are mind blowing.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this with you. I won't change your mind....and that's fine......but why I'm arguing over the greatness of a movie with a guy who thought "Incredibles" was boring but couldn't contain his giddyness for Tim Allen's "Zoom" is beyond me?

I don't see the point in arguing with someone who clearly has no respect for the film industry and wouldn't know a good movie it came up and bit him on the nose. Damn I actually feel sorry for you. Hopefully one day you'll wake up from little cgi makes a film great and story doesn't matter land and see a film that's great like the ones I mentioned and say wow the story is what makes a film great.

plus the whole "Zoom" "Incredibles" argument is stupid as I said Zoom was enjoyable I even said the ending sucked. but I would not hold it in such high regard as you do the "Incredibles" but oh wait "Incredibles" is all cgi ...... NOW it makes sense.

When it comes to comics or games or maybe tv shows I'll except your opinions and most likely respect them even if I disagree but After this I don't think i'll ever respect your movie opinions again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back