Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Hyperion

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Sentry

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

E

Excelsior Club
There are several different "super men" among the different comic companies - which one is the best? Which gets it right? Who is your favorite?

I love Sentry. There's just so much to the character and he just doesn't have one weakness that can kill him. With the first Sentry mini, there was so much greatness written into that character that is very well executed for his first appearance.

I had to go Superman

He's the only one i've read :lol:

My money is on the classic Superman.

I used to think that he was just this cookie-cutter hero. Just good guy and that's it. But after reading some stuff on him, I've come to realize that he's not only the best "super man"...he really IS the greatest hero.

This is a man who was not born on this planet. But we (humans) are the only family he's ever known. Although he walks amongst us...he really is an outcast. He always will be. But yet he values our lives as his own if not more. He's actually a complex character.

The Sentry comes in at a close second. He too is more powerful than anyone can imagine...but he must regulate his power as well. Not for fear of hurting someone....but to keep the evil within him at bay. Strong stuff.

Miracleman.

Albeit, I'm not sure he should be on this list... He's really more along the lines of Captain Marvel...

Although Captain Marvel was originally considered to be one of those "Super men", so maybe he should be added.

Also Image's "The Supreme" is a Superman ripoff

At first when I saw this I thought it was going to be which actor was the best superman. I was going to have to protest and say, "Have you no respect for the dead?" I mean Dean Cain's career died a slow horrible death.

Superman.

Ice said:
There's just so much to the character and he just doesn't have one weakness that can kill him.

Who does?

I also think Invincible, Supreme and Apollo should be added to the poll.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
It's Superman. He's the first and best. Anything else is a copy with a better story.

Exactly. With a better story.

Beside, when you say he was the first, we must undertsand that he was only the first popular four color superhero. There were other comic book characters with super powers before him, like the Phantom. And there were other invincible characters of fiction before. Achilles and Hercules, for example, created 3000 years or so before Superman. Greek mythic heroes were pretty much superheroes, both in form and function. And they had more interesting personalities. They were flawed and tragic as opposed to the heroes born in the Golden Age of comics who are naive, pure and flat. Batman is by far the most original and conceptively strong character of that era, not Superman. Most of the characters born in this era have been modernized over the year but the basic premise is still a superpowered boy scout in most case. Ultimate Captain America has been the best of these attempt to revamp a Golden Age character to modern times.

Superman is like a cross between Achilles and a Puritan (or a prophet). The most original thing about him is the packaging and marketing that allowed him to jump start a genre. The essence of the character himself was nothing new. Don't see why I should be in adoration in front of that particular character of fiction. I will tip my hat to a character that popularized a genre I greatly enjoy, but that's it.

---

I would have voted for Apollo because he was a lot of fun to read. Don't know about the other so I'll abstain.

Last edited:
i say superman, but should'nt apollo be in there too, he's the superman of the authority

Sentry.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Superman was the first and he still is the best. I find it truly disturbing that the Sentry is as close as he is to Superman in votes. What are you people smoking?
sjmole said:
Hey thought it was funny. Proberly the funnyiest comment I've read on UC.

Sorry.
Obviously, you haven't read any of my posts.

MaxwellSmart said:
At first when I saw this I thought it was going to be which actor was the best superman. I was going to have to protest and say, "Have you no respect for the dead?" I mean Dean Cain's career died a slow horrible death.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ultimatedjf said:
Those voters are known as "The DC Haters."
I don't hate DC. :sure:

moonmaster said:
I find it truly disturbing that the Sentry is as close as he is to Superman in votes. What are you people smoking?
Yeah, because every person in the world likes Superman. :roll:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back