why do people love ultimate cap so?

Wamu

okay, I have noticed a lot of people are very favorable towards Cap. but why? as far as Ultimate members go, I will give the character his due, he is an excellent tactician and hand-to-hand fighter. but personality wise, he's a bit of a jerk. in volume 1 he kicked Banner when he was down. now, he had every right to be perturbed at Banner, but come on.

Also he has gone against regulations/orders on numerous times. when he tracked down and fought Pym, when confronting Thor about Banner's outing to the press. he didn't have any proof other than Thor is oddball so he must have done it.

Long story short, this Cap just seems like another super powered guy. frankly I prefer Hawkeye, he puts his but on line with nothing more than training and archery skill.

I'm a fan of Cap because the character is being excedingly well written. As you said, he's a bit of a tit.

What makes Cap, in my opinion, is his character dimension of morality and rage. The guy is a moral person, believes in good and bad. Yet, when he sees bad, he gets pissed off and beats the crap out of it. He's a good guy but extremely unforgiving. He's interesting, and I think a perfect exemplar for the American culture at the moment.

Also, when he kicks Banner in the head, it's as much out of malice as it is neccessity. Banner turns into the Hulk when he gets riled up, so he tells Banner there's nothing to worry about and lures him close and closer, then kicks him right in the head as quickly as he can so he can knock him out before he turns back into the Hulk. It was neccessary - though, I am sure Cap enjoyed it a bit.

I think Cap is an honest representation of the character. I prefer him to the other Cap which is just Superman with a shield next to Ultimate Cap.

I'm with Caduceus on this one. Also i like his "go for it" way to do stuff. Jumps outta plains etc.

The reason I like cap has nothing to do with his skills, it's all to do with him being an interesting character to read. If the people from the Ultimates were real, I certainly wouldn't be in Cap's corner. As a piece of fiction though, it's intriguing to read about a character that is in so many ways utterly dislikable being adored. Surely Anti-heroes have always been the best characters.

Man, did I love Cap in Volume 1. But in Volume 2, Cap is being mean, jerky, and he stands for the gov't I dislike so much. Plus, he is in an adulturous relationship (Jan never got divorced to my knowledge) and he doesn't care about it. He cares all about these other people getting tatoos, but not this relationship of "sin" that he's in. I feel so retardedly catholic, but hes submitting to what he's complaining about.

I don't know, he seems more self-centered this Volume, and that's what I don't like. :?

I'll just echo what others have said - he's flawed and imperfect. He has values and beliefs and tries to stick to them no matter what the general consensus is. He tries hard to do what's right.

I mean how could you not feel bad for the guy when his crappy apartment got broken into and his vinyl records were destroyed? :(

Well i dont know about you American guys but for me He's the perfect example of a American Soldier (from my CNN and Michael Moore point of view). He is proud and sometimes an ***. I don't love him but i like him much more thant the 616 cap...

TheManWithoutFear said:
Someone should delete this before I go off... :furious:
Im been sincere dude, for what i watch in CNN and Michael Moore things that's the way the majority of the soldiers are... Sorry if i hit a nerve dude

Ultimate Quicksilver said:
Im been sincere dude, for what i watch in CNN and Michael Moore things that's the way the majority of the soldiers are... Sorry if i hit a nerve dude

Yeah, MWOF, don't blame him. In other countries the only people they have to tell them about the U.S. is that fat piece of crap, Michael Moore and the "liberal media". He's just saying that America isn't very well represented in his country.

moonmaster said:
Yeah, MWOF, don't blame him. In other countries the only people they have to tell them about the U.S. is that fat piece of crap, Michael Moore and the "liberal media". He's just saying that America isn't very well represented in his country.

Not just my country, i really think that most countries don't have a clue of what is really going on in America =/ too bad we just have 2 points of view, one been the oposite of other...is funny though....

Caduceus said:
I'm a fan of Cap because the character is being excedingly well written. As you said, he's a bit of a tit.

I think you've got it... Only, with Millar's writing style, I also think that Rogers comes off as cheesy. His dialogue is sometimes obnoxious. It's in a man's character, yes, but I can see where Wamu is coming from. He's not perfect.

Well here is my opinion dont flame me for saying this, but cap is a *******. The kicking in the face was just unnecessary. My biggest beef with him is that he burned off thors hair. Oh everbody says it was called for he needed to take thor out. He is a god damn super soilder and he needs a flame thrower?

Last edited:
See, Cap is a ****, and that's why I love him. It's the same reason why I like Batman. Being sort of a **** but being good at his core is what I find endearing about him. And about the face kickery and the hair burnery, well, that's just who Cap is. :D

Im one of the few who isnt a Captain America fan. I dont hate him, but i dont find him very interesting.

slimjim said:
He is a god damn super soilder and he needs a flame thrower?

That was, like, the coolest part of that issue.

moonmaster said:

I don't blame him.

Michael Moore ****ing sucks. I'm a democrat and I couldn't believe what I saw when I watched his movie. Tying in Bush with the terrorists... that wasn't fact that was fantasy.

About U.S. Soldiers. Some are good, some are bad, all deserve our respect. Some of them are fighting for a cause they don't even believe in but they're fighting because their brother is fighting besides them.

I know America isn't well represented in any other country. But seriously we're great... I'm not saying greater than other countries just look at the american's on this board. Aren't we representation enough? We're just like everyone else. Don't judge a man (a soldier) based on his or her government.

Latest posts

Back