Why do some comics end?

a fan

Why is it that when an uber popular japanise comic ends it dosen't continue with someone else writing it like the american comic book industry? This bothers me a great deal. American comics can go on forever but japanise comics don't and WHY? that dosen't make sense:x

Last edited:
Re: why do japanise comics end and don't continue?

I prefer for them to have an ending. It's important to a story,

And this way someone won't come in a **** up what they did.

stan lee dosen't write fantastic four and it's still going on. so if someone else can write it they do. With japanise comics they just end it like that what happens if a ton of people want more they can get it?

Last edited:

Yeah but the reason is that in japan their comics or mangas are so main stream that it just would not feel right.

Look at dragonball series. GT was not done by the person who originally did dragonball and dragonball z and ALOT of fans find to be crap. (granted that is anime not manga but started as a manga so I use it as example)

Over in usa or here uk people who read comic books are considered to be geeks like Jeff Albertson (Comic book guy) on the simpsons.

Over in japan you see "normal" people reading them on trains , at school , in cafes , restaraunts and many more.

It would not feel like his creation and i think thats another point. That the people who create/write the mangas have a contract saying it is there own comic and creation and no one can mess with it.

People complain about alot if the writting or changes in Ultimate marvel comics which proves people wont like someone else taking over as it could ruin their manga's and with how big it is lose the company Millions.

so then how come fantistic four and amazing spider man is still going on with 500+ issues and the writing has changed over the years?

Last edited:

a fan said:
so then how come fantistic four and amazing spider man is still going on with 500+ issues and the writing has changed over the years?

japan magas = more mainstream so they dont want to risk it.

IN uk, usa ect... = if your a fan of the comic you'll buy it regardless, there have been some ****ty comics but we like them in some way because it's OUR hero. Also Marvel was going bankrupt a few years ago if I remember which is why they had to sell the rights to movies.

a fan said:
I think they are written more *** books than on going issues. And I love that fact that they end. The story is greater cause it has a direction and random things don't just happen its all apart of a bigger story. I try not to watch animes because I get grabbed into the story really easily and I cant stop watching cause I want to see it resolve and I know it will be resolved

Originally posted by sjmole
japan mangas= more mainstream so they don't want to risk it.

Japan mangas and anime ending= very ANGRY fan
The comics should continue regardless of weather or not the creator feels like ending. the manga hero's are my hero's too

a fan said:
The comics should continue regardless of weather or not the creator feels like ending. the manga hero's are my hero's too

Yes but they are so big that I remember fans of the manga Dragonball z got so upset when they killed off Goku to let Gohan become the main heroe that they sent thousands of death threats ect... so its another writter couldn't risk it.

Imagin if spider-man was a manga(not the spider-man manga before you say IT IS!!!). can you imagin all the death threats for killing gwen stacy? Hell there would be a giant riot and death threats for that Iron-spidey crap.:lol:

It's also called: "money".

Re: Why do Japanese comics end and not continue?

jeremiahvedder said:
It's called: "knowing how to tell a story."

Precisely. A credit to you sir.

Manga/anime (I always forget which is which) usually tell stories. Marvel, DC, what have you, they tell serials.

Technically, ask any writer or devout reader, and they'll tell you the definition of a good story (barring personal preference of course) is one that begins and ends. Spiderman is not going to end in any of our lifetimes. It's too late to end it now, because no matter how good you make the ending, people wouldn't want it. People want to keep reading Spiderman because that's what they've gotten used to from the character, and that's what they were initially presented: a serial. An anime comic, or for that matter, any self contained limited series, novel etc, is introduced as something with a definite beginning, middle and end. As such, the reader expects it to end.

Classically, a true story has to follow rules. As well as a beginning, middle and end, your protagonist should evolve and learn a valuable lesson, overcome a challenging obstacle. This can't happen in a serialised comic, or at least, if it does, some other writer is gonna come along and 'reimagine' or just ignore what has come before. I genuinely wish Spiderman would end someday. Likewise for most comics out there. But they're likely not going to.

The very fact that 'american comics go on forever' is what makes them artistically inferior in my eyes. It's lazy. Anyone can keep on writing the adventures of the X Men, but to truly try to end their tale, and not in some cowardly alternate universe limited series, takes skill, dedication, and understanding. As a budding writer myself, I know it's not easy to end a story, but it's the most mature thing to do.

If you want more from a story, then you're being ungrateful. To put it bluntly. All tales should end, and you should accept that ending. If you really want more, read it again. Most literature out there (well, excluding Dan Bloody Browns) can be read from a variety of angles, can be interpreted many ways. There are books out there I've read 5 times, and never been bored with. A truly great story, is one that can be constantly reread and always feel new and fresh. You can pick up more and more from a story the more you read it.

a fan said:

No offence, but this strikes me as very immature. Let them go. There is a time to let things go. You can't keep hold of things, and expect them to remain a constant in your life. Things end. It's the same with stories. I don't care if I never see a character again. If it was written well, that story should be all you'll ever need. Do you think there should have been a sequel to Macbeth? Of course there shouldn't.

I have been drinking however. So what looks like fairly legible and valid writings at this moment may just turn out to be a string of insults towards TGOs manhood in the morning. If so, I apologise in advance.

TGOs got a small penis.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say that only Japanese comics end. Many of non-DC/non-Marvel American comics have a clear end and direction in mind; thats the main reason I prefer creator-owned characters as opposed to company owned. Projects like Y the Last Man, or The Goon have a direction that encomposes the entire story. Characters like Spidey, or the X-men go off in many directions and never truly have a resoltion as long as they make a profit; a less desireable position for a character if you ask me.

Fuzzy Birds wins post of the day. (That's a song, isn't it? Fuzzy Birds?)

I wouldn't say that only Japanese comics end. Many of non-DC/non-Marvel American comics have a clear end and direction in mind; thats the main reason I prefer creator-owned characters as opposed to company owned. Projects like Y the Last Man, or The Goon have a direction that encomposes the entire story. Characters like Spidey, or the X-men go off in many directions and never truly have a resoltion as long as they make a profit; a less desireable position for a character if you ask me.
There are exceptions to every rule. Y: THE LAST MAN will probably have an ending to it, much like PREACHER had an ending... And SANDMAN. Vertigo books are really good about doing the best job they can, getting in there and getting out. But they are a small breed compared to the bigger picture. That's why I respect them.

Serialization is one of the reasons people have trivialized comics over the years; not only that, but comics' inability to stay away from retcons, ressurections and reader hostility. Those are the three banes of the comic book industry. You can't wipe a big change away and expect zero repercussions, you can't keep killing and bringing back to life your main characters, and most of all, you can't be afraid if a few fanboys are going to criticize your work and pull the plug out of fear.

jeremiahvedder said:
Fuzzy Birds wins post of the day. (That's a song, isn't it? Fuzzy Birds?)

Cheers. And yes, it is, by the Super Furry Animals. Those crazy Welsh guys.

jeremiahvedder said:
There are exceptions to every rule. Y: THE LAST MAN will probably have an ending to it, much like PREACHER had an ending... And SANDMAN. Vertigo books are really good about doing the best job they can, getting in there and getting out. But they are a small breed compared to the bigger picture. That's why I respect them.
The best beginning to end, complete comic story for my money: Bone.

*hugs Fone Bone*

I can't understand why you're upset that Japanese comics end. That's the best thing about them and in my opinion it's what causes the greatest difference between manga and Western comics. (The spell-checker doesn't recognize manga as a word. Nor anime. Even though it has its own forum now. :lol: )

Anyway, if you want a manga that won't die, try Inuyasha or the Dragon Ball series.

Latest posts

Back