Why is Geoff Johns erasing his career?

Friday

Slowly but surely the New 52 is becoming a true reboot, and as it does i've noticed a trend. Aside from Green Lantern most of Johns previous high profile work is now stricken from Continuity.

The Flash? Wally West who?
Teen Titans? Never happened.
JSA? Earth 2 again, doubt any of the 90s and 2000s run ever happened.
Infinite Crisis? Gone.
Hawkman? I dunno, I haven't read the new one, but I doubt it.
Booster Gold? Nothing in JLI to suggest he was more than he is now.
Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.? Not without a golden age.

At this point I'd be really surprised if 52 happened.

So why is this going on? I doubt it was shame. Teen Titans and JSA were better than most of what he's putting out now. Flash was fantastic.

Is it just the unfortunate consequences of him being a writer that loved to play in continuity?

Thoughts?

Geoff Johns' runs on JSA, Green Lantern and Teen Titans were some of the best superhero comics I have ever read.

The old DC Universe still lives on... in my heart. :(

I loved his Teen Titans stuff so much. And his Green Lantern stuff was good. I never read anything else by him except Infinite Crisis (which i also liked)

I loved his Teen Titans stuff so much. And his Green Lantern stuff was good. I never read anything else by him except Infinite Crisis (which i also liked)

Agreed. I read a bunch of his Flash stuff and it was also very good.

I am still a little confused as to what has survived and what hasn't in the new 52. So no Infinite Crisis. Did any of the crisis's happen? Identity Crisis def seems to have been wiped away. Not sure about Final Crisis but I suspect it has also been done away with since we are seeing Darkseid in the new JL. That would be a shame because FC was one of my favorite stories. Def a case of fixing what wasn't broken imo. I don't think the whole universe needed a reboot so we could get a new take on Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Which is how this all appears to me.

Def a case of fixing what wasn't broken imo. I don't think the whole universe needed a reboot so we could get a new take on Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Which is how this all appears to me.

from a long-time fan's perspective, no. But DC is kicking Marvel's butt in sales for the first time in ages.

Agreed. I read a bunch of his Flash stuff and it was also very good.

I am still a little confused as to what has survived and what hasn't in the new 52. So no Infinite Crisis. Did any of the crisis's happen? Identity Crisis def seems to have been wiped away. Not sure about Final Crisis but I suspect it has also been done away with since we are seeing Darkseid in the new JL. That would be a shame because FC was one of my favorite stories. Def a case of fixing what wasn't broken imo. I don't think the whole universe needed a reboot so we could get a new take on Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Which is how this all appears to me.

Well, Dan Didio has said that Crisis's didn't happen. So that'd put Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis, Identity Crisis and Final Crisis out, which is a shame because I enjoyed three of those quite a bit. Zero Hour is likely out too. Imp pretty annoyed that The Death Of Superman is still in, especially since we're getting John Henry Irons in Action and Superboy is rebooted, much like Teen Titans, Blue Beetle, Firestorm, aquaman, superman, wonder woman and it integrated the Windstorm and Vertigo company owned Vertigo properties. Intact the only thing that seems to have emerged unscathed is Batman, Green Lantern, and oddly enough The Legion of Superheroes.

And so far its worked. I just hope it keeps up.

His JSA stuff is still some of my favorite and I was sorry he left that series and sorrier that they did away with the JSA. Earth 2 with Robinson will be worth a look, but not that same.

His JSA stuff is still some of my favorite and I was sorry he left that series and sorrier that they did away with the JSA. Earth 2 with Robinson will be worth a look, but not that same.
Well, remember that Robinson launched the JSA series that Johns took over on.

pmeloon said:

Welcome!

Well, remember that Robinson launched the JSA series that Johns took over on.

and wrote Starman.

Honestly, with the depth he put into creating Opal City in Starman, this is the perfect project for him. He basically has an entire world to create, and when it comes to that sort of basic, architectural story building, he's wonderful.

Latest posts

Back