Why the Marvel Television shows are canon to the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Pro Bot

Official Statement
"They did ask a long time ago and I think our answer was, 'No, we'll do something with 'Blade' at some point.' That's still the answer," Feige says. "We still think he's a great character. He's a really fun character. We think this movie going into a different side of the universe would have the potential to have him pop up, but between the movies, the Netflix shows, the ABC shows
there are so many opportunities for the character to pop up as you're now seeing with Ghost Rider on 'AGENTS of S.H.I.E.L.D.' that rather than team up with another studio on that character let's do something on our own. What that is? Where that will be? We'll see. There is nothing imminent to my knowledge." -Feige

"I think once something is back in the universe, as certainly Daredevil is, it's all fair game. It's just adding more toys outside the sandbox that we can grab to pull in the sandbox" - Feige

Is there room for the Defenders to show up on the big screen?
"The Netflix series are leading to a Defenders series, and Devin is asking about including them into the features at some point, because Infinity War is going to be big. There are a lot of people from the movies (chuckles) in Infinity War. A lot of it is about space, and a lot of it is about just what happens between now and then. But all of those things inhabit, however far on the outskirts, the same continuity. So certainly that opportunity exists." - Feige

Confirmation that the WandaVision Darkhold is the same.

Confirms that Agent Carter is canon while not a part of the Marvel Studios franchise "Marvel Cinematic Universe". For context, the Marvel Television shows, which explicitly share continuity with the films and themselves, are split up into franchises. ABC is Marvel Heroes, Netflix is Marvel Knights, Runaways and Cloak & Dagger are Young Adult and Helstrom is Adventure Into Fear.

Kevin Feige once again confirming canon.

The official Marvel Support Twitter confirming that the Jessica Jones tie-in comic is canonical to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Netflix characters were even actually considered for the films. I don't know how you can really argue against this.

From 2015-19, Marvel has had multiple Netflix shows set in the MCU, including Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and The Punisher. Netflix pulled the plug on those series as Disney prepared to launch its own streaming competitor. While the focus has been to introduce new characters, such as She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel, as well as to bring in MCU film actors, characters from the Netflix shows are still in play.
"Everything is on the board," says Feige. "That's one of the fun things about the comics is that characters would appear and disappear and come and go. All of it is inspiration for the future. There are some great characters and actors from those shows."

Marvel Studios References
The Wakanda Files, an official tie-in book overlooked by Marvel Studios to only include canon details, contains references to the Marvel Television shows. Troy Benjamin stated that "the book was written under close supervision and collaboration with Will Corona Pilgrim at Marvel Studios, using only canonical sources, and the Studios team diligently worked to review" and "is as accurate and vetted as we could possibly make it."

1. The Helicarrier from Age of Ultron is said to be the same one from The Avengers repaired and loaned to Fury, a detail previously exclusive to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

2. Anton Vanko is shown as he appeared in Agent Carter.

3. Phil Coulson wrote a report on the events of Marvel One-Shot: Item-47, which takes place after The Avengers.

Edwin Jarvis, a character from Agent Carter, appeared in the film Avengers: Endgame. Agent Carter is heavily tied to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and even uses the Hydra theme from that show at the end of season 1. Such acknowledgements show canonical intent.

When Bucky is brainwashed in Captain America: Civil War, he says "ready to comply". This is a cross reference between Agent Carter and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. They confirmed Doctor Faustus from Agent Carter is behind the Winter Soldier brainwashing. In Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., characters are brainwashed using a technique called the Faustus Method. They are asked whether they are ready to comply, with the response being "ready to comply".

The seamstress from Spider-Man: Far From Home was revealed, behind-the-scenes, to be an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. which has been off the grid since the fall of the agency. S.H.I.E.L.D. made Spider-Man's stealth suit.

The new Avengers theme park based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe has New York Bulletin newspapers that have the same logo from the Netflix shows.

WHiH Newsfront, a Marvel Studios webseries, references Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3. Specifically, the episode in which the Watchdogs attack the ATCU facility with Nitramene from Agent Carter. That episode also references Daredevil S2.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. literally introduced the Kree to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Daredevil in Spider-Man: No Way Home looks exactly the same like in the show. The same glasses, suit and cane.

Wilson Fisk in Hawkeye:
a) In flashbacks (2007 and 2012) he wears dark suit, in 2024 he wears white suit. It fits to the show appearance - dark suit in season 1 and white suit in season 3.
b) They used the same cufflinks - they belonged to his father.
c) Producers and Vincent D'Onofrio confirmed it's the same Fisk. They tried to connect as many dots as possible to DD show.
d) They used soundtrack from DD S3 at the beginning of episode 6 - Trading Judgement.

Now to tackle some misconceptions.

Helstrom was confirmed to not be set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Marvel Television boss Jeph Loeb confirmed the Adventure into Fear shows were connected to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. through the same iteration of Ghost Rider.

The show contains the MCU-exclusive brand O'Harren's Scotch Whisky from several of the shows.

The show contains MCU-exclusive newspaper The San Francisco Tribune from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..

The show contains MCU-exclusive newspaper The Dallas Record from Iron Man 2.

The show contains MCU-exclusive newspaper The New Orleans Gazette from Cloak & Dagger.

The show contains the MCU-exclusive design of the Roxxon logo from Cloak & Dagger.

A newspaper that appeared had an unseen reference to the Sokovia Accords. The official prop is how we know this.

Actors and tweets have referred to it as MCU.

Paul Zbyszewski's interviews referred to the show primarily as not tied to the MCU, as in not tying into anything else, telling a standalone story. In the same interviews, he referred to it as "a pocket of the universe", making it clearer what he meant.

The snap didn't happen
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S5 occurs because of Avengers: Infinity War. The events of that film are referenced heavily from 5x19 to 5x22.

If Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S6-7 were not in the main timeline, the Earth would be destroyed in 2018. There is no work around.

In Avengers: Endgame, we see that society functions after the snap. People still go to restaurants, have jobs, and play video games. In WandaVision, we see hospitals are operational.

Captain America says that people have moved on from the snap. We can see that only a few people are still going to group therapy.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S7 was intended to have a reference to the snap, with it being explained that the Quantum Realm could theoretically allow someone to survive the snap.

The Runaways were only in Los Angeles after the snap occurred, and didn't have time to learn about the snap due to the issue of Morgan Le Fray.

The Corvus WizPhones completely distracted users from their outside lives. It would definitely drive attention away from the snap.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S6 didn't see much from the civilian point of view, and S.H.I.E.L.D. were preoccupied dealing with Sarge, Izel and the Shrike invasion.

Helstrom, taking place in 2020 or 2021, is far enough after the snap that it is reasonable that a lot of people would move on with their lives.

It is more unlikely that most of Peter's classmates died from the snap, as well as the original Avengers surviving the snap while the newer movie characters don't, than the cast of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. surviving, but those happened as well. It being unlikely doesn't make it impossible. It's simply plot convenience.

Theories
The Runaways cast were in the Dark Dimension during the snap, which is outside of time and in another dimension. It's possible that they were not susceptible.

It is unknown if demons are susceptible to the snap, and if they weren't, half of Helstrom wouldn't have been counted as a part of the 50%.

Different Tina Minoru
When Kevin Feige was asked about Tina Minoru in Doctor Strange, he stated that the Minoru in Doctor Strange is just an easter egg. "We never say Minoru in the movie, do we? No. So that picture, if it is in the art of book, is the only place you'd ever see that name... That's how we always build the universe. There's so many characters in the books that if we have need for a person to be in this place at this time and have a line or have no lines, we still want it to be someone, and often times that's how the names come about. And the names we pull are the ones that are relatively top of mind or have been amongst characters we've thought about, like the Runaways, for a long time. I would call that an Easter Egg that most people won't even see."

WandaVision's Darkhold design
WandaVision's director, Matt Shakman confirmed that the WandaVision's Darkhold is the same Darkhold from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. It was just redesigned for WandaVision.

Mahershala Ali as Cottonmouth and Blade
An actor playing more than one character does not decanonize anything. Gemma Chan, played Minn-Erva in Captain Marvel, yet she will play Sersi in Eternals. Michelle Yeoh played Aleta in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, yet she will play Jiang Nan in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. It doesn't really matter if Mahershala Ali will play Blade, because Cottonmouth is already dead.

Phil Coulson wasn't mentioned to be alive in Loki
Phil Coulson did die for 5 days after Loki killed him. Mobius' point was to make Loki feel bad because Loki is hurting people. Mentioning that Phil Coulson will be resurrected will not help Mobius.

James Gunn said shows aren't canon
James Gunn has no word in what makes it into a project he doesn't coordinate nor participate in. On the other hand, both the book "Wakanda Files" and the newest Disney attraction "Avengers Campus" allude to Netflix and ABC's shows in more than one occasion. James Gunn also denies the official tie-in comics are canon, dispite Marvel confirming they are with an official Red Stamp to state such. He also doesn't know which Superman Bloodsport shot in The Suicide Squad dispite saying it's set in the DC Extended Universe moments earlier. Additionally, he blatantly lies about having discussions regarding a Marvel/DC crossover movie. He was also unaware that Marvel Studios are developing an R-Rated Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, which is Deadpool 3, further showing his incompetence.

Kevin Feige confirmed that WandaVision is the first MCU show
Kevin Feige was referring to the Disney+ shows being interconnected with the films. What this refers to is the films leading into the TV show plots, which then lead into more films. There is a difference between connected and interconnected.

The shows aren't labeled as "Marvel Cinematic Universe" on Disney Plus
Disney refers to the MCU as a franchise, rather than the actual continuity itself. This was clear even in the days there was no doubt about their canonicity. Thus, Disney Plus only has Marvel Studios content under the MCU label. This is supported by the fact that the shows were never part of the MCU franchise. For example, AOS and Agent Carter belong under the "Marvel Heroes" banner. They are however, part of the same continuity which was confirmed by various heads at Marvel, including Feige.

Kingpin is stronger in Hawkeye
Wrong, in DD show he already was stronger than an ordinary man. Plus we don't know what happened between the end of season 3 and Hawkeye show - 7-8 years passed. He could, for example, buy a supersoldier serum from Power Broker. Further, we know that in Daredevil, he was wearing an armor made by Melvin. He could be wearing it in Hawkeye. The Netflix shows belonging to Netflix is false. Netflix only has distribution rights which will expire one day. They belong to Marvel.

Last edited:
I think that Agent Carter always was from the MCU Sacred Timeline, but i think that AoS is in a branch with Inhumans created after Loki's end and Runaways and Cloak and Dagger are in a branch from the AoS/Inhumans branch, but i think that Helstrom is a branch from the Runaways/C&D branch but if it suposed to not be canon i don't know what to believe
Keep it up, God Bot!!!! :)

I think that Agent Carter always was from the MCU Sacred Timeline, but i think that AoS is in a branch with Inhumans created after Loki's end and Runaways and Cloak and Dagger are in a branch from the AoS/Inhumans branch, but i think that Helstrom is a branch from the Runaways/C&D branch but if it suposed to not be canon i don't know what to believe
Keep it up, God Bot!!!! :)
They aren't on alternate timelines.

They're officially on the "sacred timeline" (Earth-199999). That's the official word from Kevin Feige, items made by Marvel Studios on said sacred timeline have referenced the shows including Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

All the shows connect to one another. Agent Carter ties to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. which ties to Inhumans and Netflix which ties to Cloak & Dagger which ties to Runaways which ties to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. again. Helstrom is connected, too.

The shows have never been stated non-canon officially. Kevin Feige has said they're canon. Accept this, please. :(

Last edited:
So according to this tweet the "Story of Marvel Studios" book contains statements on the canonicity of the TV shows. The tweet states that Agent Carter is "definitely canon" but gives mixed answers on the others.

Does anyone have this book? I think I saw a few people on this forum post they had ordered a copy. It would be interesting to know what these statements are

EDIT: So apparently, Marvel Television wasn't being guided by Marvel Studios rather Marvel Studios was prevented from having any input on TV characters. And people are implying that this will lead to Marvel TV being treated as a sort of "secondary canon" with somethings picked up and somethings not. Then again this is from click-baity articles not the book itself

Last edited:
So, is it a kind of branch or something?
No, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in set in the main timeline, per official word. Read my comment again. All she was saying is that the book doesn't confirm anything in relation to canon. The book is solely about Marvel Studios material, not Marvel Entertainment.

If you want proof that it's canon, it's littered all over this thread for you to read.

Vincent D'Onofrio has straight up said they were actively trying to keep Daredevil canon with his Hawkeye appearance. Hopefully, that shuts them up... but realistically it's impossible to convince people they've been fooled. :rolleyes:

I'd be better off explaining that every show is linked, and Daredevil can't be canon without bringing Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. along with it.

I think it should be updated with Matt Murdock in NWH and Fisk in Hawkeye.

1. Daredevil in Spider-Man: No Way Home looks exactly the same like in the show. The same glasses, suit and cane.

2. Wilson Fisk in Hawkeye
a) In flashbacks (2007 and 2012) he wears dark suit, in 2024 he wears white suit. It fits to the show appearance - dark suit in season 1 and white suit in season 3.
b) They used the same cufflinks - they belonged to his father.

1000?cb=20220204110250.png
1000?cb=20211222090143.png
c) Producers and Vincent D'Onofrio confirmed it's the same Fisk. They tried to connect as many dots as possible to DD show.
d) They used soundtrack from DD S3 at the beginning of episode 6 - Trading Judgement.

But deniers can say:
a) He's stronger than he was in DD. Wrong, in DD show he already was stronger than an ordinary man. Plus we don't know what happened between the end of season 3 and Hawkeye show - 7-8 years passed. He could for example buy a supersoldier serum from Power Broker.
b) He's arrowproof, Katie shoots and nothing happens. Also wrong. We know that in DD show he was wearing an armor made by Melvin. He can still wear it + (maybe) supersoldier serum.
c) Netflix shows belong to Netflix and Marvel Studios can't do anything about it. Double wrong. Netflix only has distribution rights (which will expire one day) - you can read it on Wiki and news announcements from years 2014-2015 when these shows were announced. They belong to Marvel and they can do whatever they want with them. Trading Judgement.

Agents of SHIELD reference in Endgame.

LINK

This is not as big as Jarvis but still :)
Bro, it's TOO MUCH BIGGER than Jarvis, Jarvis was referenced in Marvel Studios since Iron Man (2008), and Withehall since Endgame, AoS and Marvel TV is 100% canon to the MCU, not even Charlie Cox can denny it

Kingpin is stronger in Hawkeye
Wrong, in DD show he already was stronger than an ordinary man. Plus we don't know what happened between the end of season 3 and Hawkeye show - 7-8 years passed. He could, for example, buy a supersoldier serum from Power Broker. Further, we know that in Daredevil, he was wearing an armor made by Melvin. He could be wearing it in Hawkeye. The Netflix shows belonging to Netflix is false. Netflix only has distribution rights which will expire one day. They belong to Marvel.
I think that before TF&WS he could have got super soldier serum or something like

Latest posts

Back