Wizard previews Turner’s Ultimate Wolverine sketchbook

the watcher

UltWolverine.jpg

When Jeph Loeb and Michael Turner first had dinner with Marvel's Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada to talk about their first Marvel project, it didn't take long for the team to decide Ultimate Wolverine was the perfect fit for them. Now, months later, Loeb's busy plotting out the story, while Turner's churning out sketches of Wolverine faster than fanboys can say "Snikt!"

Wizard #181 gives you your first look at Turner's Ultimate Wolverine sketchbook, the team's comments on how they plan to emulate the "Lost" formula of storytelling and the duo's plans for their Ultimate Wolverine lingerie special!

WIZARD: So, who is Ultimate Wolverine to you guys?

MICHAEL TURNER: We're going to start off good. The first eight pages are going to shock the hell out of everyone. That's just the way that we like doing things. It's going to be a very shocking beginning that I'm not going to give a slight hint on. He gets into a whole bunch of different aspects of his past and his history...

http://www.ultimatemarvel.net/article-763-loeb-et-jeph-aiguisent-les-griffes-de-wolverine.html

Last edited:
Re: Ultimate Wolverine sketch

it looks just like regular wolverine! gah! why can't the artists just keep the long hair he was designed with!!!???

I like in the article that they are really going to throw a lot at him. It's going to a full story with a lot of characters.

I like in the article that they are really going to throw a lot at him. It's going to a full story with a lot of characters.

Sounds like... every Loeb story.

I'm starting to think Loeb can't tell a story unless every character shows up. I wouldn't be suprised if we see Spider-Man, The Ultimates, The Fantastic Four and The X-Men show up.

And the art... blech. I hate Turner's art.

Sounds like... every Loeb story.

I'm starting to think Loeb can't tell a story unless every character shows up. I wouldn't be suprised if we see Spider-Man, The Ultimates, The Fantastic Four and The X-Men show up.

And the art... blech. I hate Turner's art.

You've got a damn good point there. Except for the art comment. I'm not crazy about it, but I'm interested enough to want to see his fight scenes.

I like the art, I totally dig the art. Look at Logan's eyes, they're dark, intense, a bit evil. I like it.

Well...all but the weird anime like strans of hair and jet out like spikes. But in a comic, it might be easly over looked.

I am REALLY looking forward to this mini. I think the art looks gorgeous and I'm excited to see what Wolverine is all about in the UU. I'm glad Loeb is recognizing the differences... Even know when that has been lost with the writers.

As long as he's not 5 feet tall I'm alright with a haircut.
What do you mean not 5 feet tall? Ultimate Wolverine is supposed to be like 6ft or 6' 2". Can't remember. It was in the handbook.

And love the sketch. Looks very good.

Last edited:

What do you mean not 5 feet tall? Ultimate Wolverine is supposed to be like 6ft or 6' 2". Can't remember. It was in the handbook.

yeah, but since the first arc every one else besides Larocca and Immonen have drawn him exactly like 616 Wolverine. And now that he is all not-a-prick, he is essentially the same character.

and

That

Noise

I'm actually quite happy with the way the sketch looks. I love Turners work and he does some amazing stuff indeed. My favorites were when he was working on Superman/Batman and the Supergirl stuff he had done. Plus his regular work on Fathom and all others is amazing as well.

I haven't read any of kirkman's run on ultimate x-men yet, but I hated how bkv castrated the ultimate wolverine character in the cry wolf arc. I hope loeb shows more of the darker side of ultimate wolvie that miller was always getting at in his ultimate x-men run. And turner's art is amazing, way more stylistic and downright prettier than most artists' stuff.

but I hated how bkv castrated the ultimate wolverine character in the cry wolf arc.

You must have really loved the last few issues of Astonishing.

That's what I meant. As the series has gone on he's seemed to get progressively smaller depending on the artist. I don't care about his hair as long as he stays taller than 616 Wolverine.

That's what I meant. As the series has gone on he's seemed to get progressively smaller depending on the artist. I don't care about his hair as long as he stays taller than 616 Wolverine.
Oh yeah! I remember someone asking if Kirkman would do something about that and he had joked that UXM #80 would be just about that. :lol:

Oh yeah! I remember someone asking if Kirkman would do something about that and he had joked that UXM #80 would be just about that. :lol:
One thing I have to give Kirkman credit for is reader response. When people ask him to fix stupid things that have been going on, he actually responds with at least an "I'll think about it." Most writers think you're trying to tell them how to do their job. Not that they say as much, but it's all there in their lack of response.

let's just hope this doesn't fall into the same trap as UWvH has!!!

Besides that, I'm all for it...:D

Latest posts

Back