Wizard's Best of 2006

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
So the new issue of Wizard has their picks for the best of 06. Instead of even mentioning other contenders---they went for the just the meat and potatoes. Only winners.

Man of the Year
Joe Q

Event of the Year
Civil War

Artist of the Year
Steve McNiven--Civil War

Single Issue of the Year
New Avengers #22--Luke Cage

Beakout Talent of the Year
Charlie Huston--Moon Knight

Boldest Move of the Year

Writer of the Year
BKV ----and deservedly so!!! :rockon:
*Gert got Best Death

Book of the Year
Daredevil

Hero of the Year
Superman

Cover Artist of the Year
JG Jones

And here's a couple more categories worth mentioning---

Best Animated Series---JLU
Best Video Game---Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Best DVD---Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition Box Set
Best Collection---Absolute Kingdome Come

I can pretty much agree with almost all these choices. The 3 I'm most happy about are the Luke Cage issue, BKV, and Daredevil.

I know MWoF approves. :rockon:

Discuss...........

Last edited:
I'd agree with the majority of those.

I'm not sure why Joe Q is the man of the year though.

The article points to him scrapping a bunch of big ideas for several books in 2006 and opting for the hugely successful Civil War. But also it's stated that the current state of comics (widely successful) is what Q's been trying to build over the past 6 years at Marvel.

It's not a bad article---and while I, too, question his Man of the Year status---I admit that it's been a great time to be a comic fan and attribute some of the stellar Marvel stories out there to him.

Credit where credit's due....

Wow, they got a lot of those right. Kudos on the Luke Cage and Daredevil mentions.

I agree on most points. New Avengers #22 was a great ****ing issue. I find it funny that Bendis's best written character is black.

Just because Marvel won doesnt mean Wizard is biased. It means Marvel put out better comics this year. Which they did.

That is an opinion. This is the problem with these things: they're all opinion.

Just because Marvel won doesnt mean Wizard is biased. It means Marvel put out better comics this year. Which they did.

Exactly. Sometimes people forget the difference between disagreeing and plain out thinking someone is completely wrong.

I can`t think why someone would put Joe Q as man of the year, the guy just did his job (and IMO not that good), there are tons more qualified people.

Civil War is a personal choice, but there were more good events in 2006.

Single Issue is just crap. Seriously, New Avengers is together with UIM and USM for me. NA 22 was not that memorable, just watch a few movies with little black comunities being harassed and you will see a lot of what Bendis did there. It`s not original and it was just another issue.

Joe Q should be disqualified from recieving the Man of the Year award on the sole basis of the quantity (and horrible placement!) of ads in the current batch of Marvel titles alone.

The volume of ads is off-putting and distracting; it's actually prompted me to cut down on single issues and trade-wait several Marvel titles. Joe Q ultimately has the power to put a stop to this insanity, yet he has made the conscious decision to go with it. That's a real shame.

Ads have always been the financial lifeblood of comics, granted. But there comes a point when it just becomes excessive. That point was reached this month.

If that's Marvel's decision, it's their commercial prerogative to do so; but let's not award Joe Q for such a misguided policy.

Last edited:
Joe Q should be disqualified from recieving the Man of the Year award on the sole basis of the quantity (and horrible placement!) of ads in the current batch of Marvel titles alone.

The volume of ads is off-putting and distracting; it's actually prompted me to cut down on single issues and trade-wait several Marvel titles. Joe Q ultimately has the power to put a stop to this insanity, yet he has made the conscious decision to go with it. That's a real shame.

Ads have always been the financial lifeblood of comics, granted. But there comes a point when it just becomes excessive. That point was reached this month.

If that's Marvel's decision, it's their commercial prerogative to do so; but let's not award Joe Q for such a misguided policy.
I dont think it's up to Joe Quesada what ads are in the issue. Not sure on their placement, but Quesada is in charge of the comic world, not the marketing for ads. :?

I dont think it's up to Joe Quesada what ads are in the issue. Not sure on their placement, but Quesada is in charge of the comic world, not the marketing for ads. :?

I would think its the editors job to place them within the issue

Joe Q. doesn't even know what's going on in individual books let along deciding where ads should go.

I would think its the editors job to place them within the issue
Yeah, I guess. Still he doesn't decide what ads go in the issue. And to say he doesn't deserve the award for this is ridiculous. I can understand the anger, but it's really going overboard.

Latest posts

Back