Wolverine's Origin

thee great one said:
All we know is his name is James Howlett. He might be married and he served in WW2 with Captain America. That's all.

We also know that he has been captured by Weapon X prior to 1990. We know that he wasn't a volunteer. It's worth mentioning since it seems that X-movies Wolverine was a volunteer.

Considering that his capture took place between the end of WW2 and 1990, considering that the mutant problem didn't appear to be a huge deal before the 2000s in UU and that Weapon X is clearly a military project first and foremost, it is likely that originally the "Wolverine" experiment had more to do with cold war logic and arms race than with the mutant situation. It's kinda of like the American version to what the Russian were doing with Vision in Siberia.

Last edited:
So he's around 100-120 years old, right?

What about the whole thing with Thomas Logan and Dog murdering his father and then Wolverine killing them with his then-organic claws. Is that still part of the picture? Has it been hinted at?

Planet-man said:

What about the whole thing with Thomas Logan and Dog murdering his father and then Wolverine killing them with his then-organic claws. Is that still part of the picture? Has it been hinted at?

Again, nothing has really been said about his origins. We know that his name is Jim Howlett, a man who served in a World War, leaving a wife and child at home.

Planet-man said:

He's 80+ , that's all we know.

That means he could easily be younger or older than 616 Wolverine.

We don't even know that his claws are organic and laced with adamantium. The fact that Sabertooth got claws of his own suggest that Wolverine claws are entirely artifical too. Makes more sense, anyway. Retractable claws made of bone that sheath in the wrist doesn't make much sense. You'd painfully break both your claws, wrists and forearms bones if you used these as weapons. But if your bones are now unbreakable thanks to admantium, then it makes sense to surgically anchor a weapon to your forearm. Well, comic boonk sense, anyway.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
It's kinda of like the American version to what the Russian were doing with Vision in Siberia.
Wasn't that supposed to be the Russian version of Captain America? Russia copying off of US, US copying off of Russia's copying.

Remember that the US didn't have Cap anymore in those years where they were trying to use mutants as weapons.

USSR starts trying to patch together a super soldiers from alien tech to counter Captain America. Cap "dies". USSR continues experiments. USA tries to counter them by patching a super soldier from one of the earliest mutant to be found and adamantium.

E.Vi.L. said:
We also know that he has been captured by Weapon X prior to 1990. We know that he wasn't a volunteer. It's worth mentioning since it seems that X-movies Wolverine was a volunteer.
In the video game of X2: Wolverine's Revenge, it showed that he was kidnapped in 1968. Maybe that's around or so in the UU, too?

I wonder if all this mental blocking is of his own doing. I strongly suspect that Logan was raped while in the hands of Weapon X and is too embarrassed to talk about it.

Perhaps he even developed a perverse love for the guy that did it. Guilty, ashamed, yet drawn.

Weird, I find it impossible to imagine Logan naked without imagining the smell also.

Guijllons said:
Weird, I find it impossible to imagine Logan naked without imagining the smell also.

Wow, you're right.

icemastertron said:
In the video game of X2: Wolverine's Revenge, it showed that he was kidnapped in 1968. Maybe that's around or so in the UU, too?

Anything before the Gulf War is possible. Considering that Weapon X is an atrocious violation of civil right, I'm thinking it debuts during the McCarthy era, in the 50s.

icemastertron said:
The movie timeline is different from the Ultimate timeline, but you are probably right since the UU and Movie U share similar timetables anyway.

ourchair said:
The movie timeline is different from the Ultimate timeline, but you are probably right since the UU and Movie U share similar timetables anyway.
Actually, it was the video game, to be more exact. But I was saying maybe it can be the same or so. I mean, we know it has to be after WW2, right?

icemastertron said:
Actually, it was the video game, to be more exact. But I was saying maybe it can be the same or so. I mean, we know it has to be after WW2, right?
I always assumed that since the videogame was titled X2, it was meant to be 'movie continuity canonical' even if it didn't feature any talent from the movies.

But yeah, you're pretty much on the mark for that.

Latest posts

Back