Wonder Woman Series Discussion (Spoilers)

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Great start! Seriously. :D

So many first issues start so weak. Either they leave so much to be desired or they try to start with too much mystery...or too much continuity heavy references...or maybe just lackluster because they focus on character development more than the character itself. Regardless of how you look at it---first issues aren't great. Wonder Woman was the exception.

Lets look at the different aspects that make this great:

Writing: Heinberg gracefully walks that fine line between character development...and the actual character. People buy Wonder Woman to see Wonder Woman fly and kick ***. Not to hear about what kinda Sex In The City-ish personal struggle she's going thru when she's not rocking the stars-n-stripes undies.

In the first issue we're introduced to WW......well the new WW to be exact. After the Max Lord incident, Diana walks away from the life as WW and passes the mantle to her sister----Donna Troy. Now it's up to her to fill the big red boots.

Here we are thrust right into her life as WW. In the first few pages we can tell that she is unsure of how prepared she is to rock the mantle. But she's WW now and has no time to second-guess herself. The villains she's facing want WW....in their eyes, the REAL WW. Donna's gotta handle it.

Really nice pacing and natural dialogue.

Art: I love the art. The Dodsons are so great! I'm not sure of what all they've worked on before....but I know their work from "Spiderman/Black Cat: Evil That Men Do". I loved it then....and I love it now. Everything looks so smooth.

The coloring is superb as well. The events taking place in the first issue occur at night and I love the contrasts of light and dark. The whole comic looks "vibrant".

Basically we get a great opening with the ending pages resulting in Donna Troy beaten and missing and its up to Nemesis to find her..........along with his new partner--Agent Diana Prince!

4.5/5

Plus....I love Donna's WW outfit more than the original. So much more appropriate for an Amazon Warrior.

Victor Von Doom said:
Great start! Seriously. :D

So many first issues start so weak. Either they leave so much to be desired or they try to start with too much mystery...or too much continuity heavy references...or maybe just lackluster because they focus on character development more than the character itself. Regardless of how you look at it---first issues aren't great. Wonder Woman was the exception.

Lets look at the different aspects that make this great:

Writing: Heinberg gracefully walks that fine line between character development...and the actual character. People buy Wonder Woman to see Wonder Woman fly and kick ***. Not to hear about what kinda Sex In The City-ish personal struggle she's going thru when she's not rocking the stars-n-stripes undies.

In the first issue we're introduced to WW......well the new WW to be exact. After the Max Lord incident, Diana walks away from the life as WW and passes the mantle to her sister----Donna Troy. Now it's up to her to fill the big red boots.

Here we are thrust right into her life as WW. In the first few pages we can tell that she is unsure of how prepared she is to rock the mantle. But she's WW now and has no time to second-guess herself. The villains she's facing want WW....in their eyes, the REAL WW. Donna's gotta handle it.

Really nice pacing and natural dialogue.

Art: I love the art. The Dodsons are so great! I'm not sure of what all they've worked on before....but I know their work from "Spiderman/Black Cat: Evil That Men Do". I loved it then....and I love it now. Everything looks so smooth.

The coloring is superb as well. The events taking place in the first issue occur at night and I love the contrasts of light and dark. The whole comic looks "vibrant".

Basically we get a great opening with the ending pages resulting in Donna Troy beaten and missing and its up to Nemesis to find her..........along with his new partner--Agent Diana Prince!

4.5/5

Plus....I love Donna's WW outfit more than the original. So much more appropriate for an Amazon Warrior.
The first issue was definitely good. Great writing and art.

And Donna's outfit does indeed rock. Very fitting.

I am quite intrigued, and extraordinarily interested in where they might take this series.

This issue was great. Loved it.

I'd like to know more on the villains. I like how their origin was explained with no problem, but I'd still like to know about them.

I'll share my favorite made up scene with Wonder Woman. It's mostly a Family Guy right off.

Superman and Wonder Woman are in a fight while most of the JLA watches. Green Arrow walks up to the Flash.

"What's going on with those two?"
"Superman picked a bad time to make a joke around Diana."
"What'd he say?"
"We were having a meeting and Diana walked up and join in. Superman turned and said, "Diana, the *men* are talking."
"Oh yah, that'll do it."

Very good opening. Just one thing: was Donna actually impaled or did Psycho just make her think she was?

Patriot Mk2 said:
Very good opening. Just one thing: was Donna actually impaled or did Psycho just make her think she was?

She was.

Seriously---I can't wait for #2. With the way the new Supergirl arc is going...this may usurp Sugergirl as my fav female DC comic.

This was great. The writing was great and I loved Donna as the new WW.

I never liked Dodsons art very much. But it was really good in here. The coloring especially.

I love the new Cheetah. It was all great.

But who is Diana Prince? It sounds familar.

Diana Prince was her alter-ego back in the day.

Yes. That's old school Wonder Woman in the jumpsuit.

;) It also may sound familiar because if you reverse it, you have Princess Diana.

Last edited:
thee great one said:
So is that the actually Wonder Woman or what? I'm confused.

:shock:

And you write Ultimate Wonder Woman... :?

Diana Price is the previous Wonder Woman, and the one known to most.

Wonder Woman used to have a secret identity, Diana Prince, but hasn't since Crisis on Infinite Earths....

So now it looks like she's back.

ProjectX2 said:
:shock:

And you write Ultimate Wonder Woman... :?

Diana Price is the previous Wonder Woman, and the one known to most.

You made me write that. I told you I knew nothing of the character.

thee great one said:
You made me write that. I told you I knew nothing of the character.
HEY, EVERYONE! LET'S ALL LAUGH AT TOG!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Lying in the Gutters said:
Who is writing the ongoing monthly comic "Wonder Woman" after current writer Allan Heinberg leaves the book in a few issues?

Why, if it isn't my old friend and bestselling author Jodi Picoult.

Jodi has written many novels that outsell everything our little comic industry can do. And her last novel, "The Tenth Circle" was set fair and square in the New York comic publishing industry, with a fictional version of this very column.

Looks like enough people in the industry read it, rubbing their chin, going "mmmmm…."

If a fraction of her legion of fans buy this comic, then it could be the best selling comic in the industry. Been a while since "Wonder Woman" topped the charts like that…

This was a green light.

This is very very interesting.

Wow. I bought my mum "The Tenth Circle" for Mother's day. I actually had to take a look at it, because after every few chapters, there's a few comic pages. They're really well done.

I might need to read this book, continue getting Wonder Woman, and tell my mum about this. :D

Latest posts

Back