Wonder Woman Series Discussion (Spoilers)

It was noted earlier today in Lying in the Gutters that novelist Jodi Picoult would be writing Wonder Woman after Allan Heinberg. THE PULSE was able to get confirmation from the writer and a few quick comments about her upcoming five-part run on Wonder Woman.

Picoult said working on comic books is a change. "It's really different from what I usually do," she said. "It's a whole new learning experience, so I hope I don't screw it up that badly."

Picoult explained it was DC Editor Matt Idelson's wife who was a fan of her writing and pushed a copy of The Tenth Circle, her novel that had a graphic novel in the middle of it, into his hands. "Matt's wife read the Tenth Circle, gave him a copy, then he asked if I would be interested in writing Wonder Woman," Picoult said. "It was one of those things that I have no time to do, but couldn't say 'no' because it was just so cool."

"It's really fun to have this opportunity," she continued. "I think for me, as a fiction writer, it was pretty fascinating to include a graphic novel inside one of my novels, knowing a lot of my readers had probably never seen one in their life. There was a lot of crossover. I think it surprised a lot of people how well the graphic novel part dovetailed into the traditional story."

She chose to tell the Tenth Circle as a mix of graphic novel and traditional novel, because she wanted to be a little unique in the market, and she was intrigued by the comic book format. "I did it specifically because I think it's an interesting way to tell a story," Picoult said. "In all the time I've been alive, I've only seen the New York Times Book Review add one section for Critical Analysis, and that was for Graphic Novels."

"It's a very interesting and growing way to tell a story, which is why I was attracted to it in the first place," she continued. "Not to mention the fact that I have a 13 year old son who is a huge comic book aficionado."

A factor that came in quite handy for Picoult's indoctrination to the world of Wonder Woman. Picoult admitted she knew hardly anything about the character. "I knew absolutely nothing," Picoult said. "I didn't read comic books growing up. Luckily for me, though, I have a son who has a collection that has taken over his entire room. I asked him to help me learn about Wonder Woman. It was due diligence for me. He told me all about how she was born and her mother and her whole history. Then, he went into the enemies. When I first read Allan's initial issue [Wonder Woman # 1] it didn't make any sense to me, but after Jake gave me some background, I began to understand. Then, once I agreed to work on Wonder Woman, DC filled me in with everything I ever needed and wanted to know about her history. Plus, fans are fantastic experts on the character if I need another resource."

"I feel bad for Wonder Woman," she continued. "I think she's gotten a bum deal and I want to change it. I have some thoughts on where she should be headed. I think she's a good character. I want to hopefully bring humor to her, and more of a bit of a snappy repartee. She has that Superman issue: someone larger than life trying to slum it as a human. I think we need to see the tension of what it is like when she tries to be 'normal,' because no matter what she just can't be normal."

Picoult said, "The hardest part is that I'm not used to writing inside constraints and obviously picking up where Allan leaves off is really difficult, because I don't know - yet - where he's ending his arc. To fit my story between that spot and where DC wants the story to end up, is really new to me and challenging."

"I'm psyched to have this opportunity," she continued. "Now my kids think I'm really cool. I wasn't sure if I could do this, but then I thought, 'Hey, she's an Amazon. I'm on amazon.com, so it's fitting.' I hope my readers will check out the comic book, because of what I can bring to it as someone who isn't traditionally in the industry - things that I address in my regular fiction as well. A major part of my story will center on Wonder Woman as she figures out what makes all of us human ... and isn't that the big question for any hero or heroine?"

Allan Heinberg is working on the first five issues and Picoult believes her story begins with issue # 6. The art team of Terry and Rachel Dodson is remaining on the series. "The Dodson's are staying with me," she said. "I think that's nice, because there will be continuity in the art. It's crazy the way people come in and out of the comic industry today. I'm also excited that Allan's first issue was reviewed favorably and hope we can give Wonder Woman a one-two punch to knock Wonder Woman back into popularity again."

"My thoughts are to sort of give her some mother-daughter issues - because I think all women have those, and to beef up the relationships that she now has in the world of man, as she's assuming an identity given to her," Picoult said. "I'm addressing what happens in the wake of the Maxwell Lord murder. Wonder Woman is coming to terms with the fact that you can be a good person and do a bad thing; and that sometimes you have to do A bad thing, because it's the right thing to do. She's always been a pillar of morality and it's tough for her to shift through the shades of gray."

Picoult said, "The best thing about comic book superheroes is that they constantly reinvent themselves, so you can take them in new directions and watch them evolve. Wonder Woman won't be fighting the Nazis any more, but she'll deal with those who have power and abuse that power. It's fun to be a little political, too."

Since it's still several months away, Picoult didn't want to spoil anything about her upcoming story, but noted she did try for one change in the character. "I actually tried to get Wonder Woman a breast reduction," Picoult joked. "DC didn't go for it. As a woman writing this, I thought, 'there's no way I would fight crime in a bustier,' but I was overruled. Comic books will always be a venue for teenage boys, so the costume stays!"

"The comic industry is really intriguing," she continued. "I learned a ton about it when I wrote the Tenth Circle. The main character was a graphic novelist who created a cutting edge graphic novel, demographically targeted to the kids who read comic books growing up, but never really had money to buy tons of them ... and now are forty-something and can buy them after all. However, the issues they want to read about are different, and this new graphic novel is about a man whose biggest concern is keeping his family safe."

She said, "It was fascinating to learn how a comic book is created. I was fortunate to talk to Jim Lee, an old friend from college, who was more than willing to tell me everything about how he got started, how hard the business is, and how he and other people do it. Jim was instrumental in hooking me up with Dustin Weaver, my artist for the Tenth Circle. At the time he was interning with Jim; he's an incredibly talented young man who is now getting paid for his artwork."

Picoult joked her time writing comic books was taking over her "real job." She hopes to be done with the five issues when the first issue hits stands, because a short time after that she will embark on a book tour. "I leave on a book tour in March of 2007 when my first issue comes out," she said. "I will be in a different city every day when that happens doing readings and other events at book stores. I hope a lot of the fans of my novels pick up the comic books as well ... and that the comic book readers come to check out my novels, too. After all, anything that gets people reading is a good thing."

Picoult's first issue of Wonder Woman is due in stores this March. We'll be checking back with her closer to the date for more information on Wonder Woman. THE PULSE thanks Rich Johnston of Lying in the Gutters for the initial news of her new work on Wonder Woman.

This just made me really ****ing nervous.

Why not just give her All-Star Wonder Woman... let the people who know the character handle her for now...

Her 13 year old son is her consultant.

*smacks forehead*

I was kind of hoping Donna Troy would stay on as the new Wonder Woman... Oh well...

I'm scared about her tenure on Wonder Woman too, honestly. Hold me.

Last edited:
supposedly in this latest issue of wizard Morales refers to Wonder Woman as Diana, so something tells me that the real Wonder Woman is gonna come back.

Diana Prince was going to be Wonder Woman eventually.

And I think it's better she works on this title rather an All Star Wonder Woman... All Star titles are for the big creators, the ones that will get a lot more money.

Patriot Mk2 said:
Eh......right.......they gave WW to a thirteen year old.......hmmm.

At least they're researching, other than Card...

I am so in love with this book. The writing...the art---OH THE ART!!! I love the Dodsons!!!

Anyways....#2 was just as awesome as the #1. My only wish is that they don't just out Diana as the real Wonder Woman yet. I was really digging the idea of Donna Troy being Wonder Woman. Anyways...

#2 goes into a little more detail as to how Diana got placed in the Dept of Metahuman Affairs. Apparently, Batman pulled some strings as Bruce and fabricated a nice little identity for her.

I so love this book.

Patriot Mk2 said:
Eh......right.......they gave WW to a thirteen year old.......hmmm.
Oh calm down. She's an accomplished novelist who'll have the energy and innovative thought of a 13 year old helping out.

And is this supposed to be bi-monthly, because if we're not getting issue 6 till march...

Baxter said:
Oh calm down. She's an accomplished novelist who'll have the energy and innovative thought of a 13 year old helping out.

And is this supposed to be bi-monthly, because if we're not getting issue 6 till march...

I don't know, but Wonder Woman shouldn't be a bi-monthly.

It's friggin' WONDER WOMAN!

DC said there's big plans for WW towards the start of next year, so I'm assuming they'll want her back established in the universe before they kick that off.

I am disappointed they didn't milk the Donna Troy angle a little more, though.

Last edited:
I really love this book, but I wish it would come out more frequently.

I know. I mean the first one came out in the beginning of June and we're just now getting the second issue at the end of August? I guess the next one should be out Hannukah? :lol:

Still...I love it so.

I too wish they'd milk the Donna Troy angle a bit longer and focus on Diana Prince as a person...a valid identity much like DC did with Superman recently. His Superman bits are pretty standard. But it's when he's Clark that the book really shines. But I'm getting off topic....

Yay WW.

Victor Von Doom said:
I know. I mean the first one came out in the beginning of June and we're just now getting the second issue at the end of August? I guess the next one should be out Hannukah? :lol:

Still...I love it so.

I too wish they'd milk the Donna Troy angle a bit longer and focus on Diana Prince as a person...a valid identity much like DC did with Superman recently. His Superman bits are pretty standard. But it's when he's Clark that the book really shines. But I'm getting off topic....

Yay WW.

I agree. Clark gets a supporting role in 52. Bruce is going to get a substantial page count associated to him, but we haven't heard hide nor hair of Diana Prince... Hopefully we'll get something, at least.

VVD, I totally thought you were talking about milking Donna Troy, but then I put my glasses on...

Was expecting this but was hoping against it........ WW is now officially
bi-monthly. It seems that #4 will be coming out in December.:cry:

I'll live. So far, Heinberg's run on WW hadn't been that great.

Hopefully these other writers can get her on a monthly schedule instead of, y'know, a bi-annual one.

I think Heinberg's WW has been borderline terrible. It seems like most people only like it because they're told how good it is. I don't recall anybody clamoring for the next issue of Wonder Woman.

I really enjoyed it. I was enjoying the story and the art was great. This makes me sad.

Latest posts

Back