Wonder Woman's Future

Ninja4peace

Ok this seems like a good a place as any, I was listening to this comic pants podast. http://comicpants.com/?p=1370 and basically thought they made some points about why Wonder Woman is no where near as iconic (good) as Batman or Superman. And I thought there could be 6 things we could discuss.

1. Wonder woman's rogues gallery. Who is her Lex Luthor or Joker..who is the anti-wonder woman.

2. Wonder woman's supporting cast. There's no Robin, no alfred, no Jimmy olsen or Lois Lane.

3. Ideas for a Dark Knight Returns/Whatever happened to man of tommorow for Wonder woman.
4. Ideas for a Year One/Man of Steel. What are her defining events in her past, like Bruce's parents, maybe this could be a story of the death of a childhood friend.

3 and 4 would be easier to think about once we had 1 and 2. And 1 and 2 would be easier to think about once we had

5. What's Wonder Woman all about. should she be leader of armies or what? How should her values be different to batman/superman so that we stop seeing her as just a female superman? Comparing the trinity to Thor/Iron man/Cap ...what can we gain from having her as a female? I like the idea that batman was an orphan, superman was raised by country folk, wonder woman raised by a tribe.

and Finally
6. Who would you like to see writing Wonder Woman?

I think I'm right in saying Batman is athiest/agnostic, Superman is Christian(ish), and Wonder Woman believes (knows) all the Greek/Roman Gods.
Maybe the blur between wonder woman and superman comes, just because batman has no powers at all, (like a bigger distinction between atheism/theism than there is with monotheism/polytheism). But we don't need to go down that route for discussion.

I just don't want DC to get Joss Whedon to write a lesbian wonder woman, and exploit the Joedamn out of her.

Last edited:
1. Wonder woman's rogues gallery. Who is her Lex Luthor or Joker..who is the anti-wonder woman.

Circe, I guess. Cheetah?

2. Wonder woman's supporting cast. There's no Robin, no alfred, no Jimmy olsen or Lois Lane.

Well, she has Steve Trevor sometimes. And I think maybe some chick too?

3. Ideas for a Dark Knight Returns/Whatever happened to man of tommorow for Wonder woman.

She was covered in Kingdom Come. . .

4. Ideas for a Year One/Man of Steel. What are her defining events in her past, like Bruce's parents, maybe this could be a story of the death of a childhood friend.

Well, she started from the beginning right after Crisis.

5. What's Wonder Woman all about. should she be leader of armies or what? How should her values be different to batman/superman so that we stop seeing her as just a female superman? Comparing the trinity to Thor/Iron man/Cap ...what can we gain from having her as a female? I like the idea that batman was an orphan, superman was raised by country folk, wonder woman raised by a tribe.

No idea.

Ok this seems like a good a place as any, I was listening to this comic pants podast. http://comicpants.com/?p=1370 and basically thought they made some points about why Wonder Woman is no where near as iconic (good) as Batman or Superman. And I thought there could be 5 things we could discuss.

Victoria Cale is her Lex Luthor, and with a little bit of work, can be equally compelling. And she was recently updated in 52, along with another Wonder Woman villain: Egg Fu. She has Dr. Psycho, who's all over the place. Giganta, Cheetah, Circe, and the WHOLE DAMN GREEK PANTHEON. The problem isn't that she doesn't have compelling villains. It's that they're not utilized enough.

Ninja4Peace said:

This needs to be worked on. I believe Greg Rucka had a pretty substantial supporting cast on his run. Right now she's got the Office of Metahuman Affairs. Creating a supporting cast wouldn't be tough at all.

Ninja4Peace said:

I'd say maybe a setting where the mythical and mystical has overrun the earth, and she's a warrior somehow trying to defend the huddled masses? I'm not sure.

Ninja4Peace said:

I really don't think Wonder Woman needs a pre-career tragedy like that. The great thing about Wonder Woman is she comes from this tiny, isolated island, and now she's seeing the men's world for the first time. Her life on Paradise Island should be pretty pure and naive.

Ninja4Peace said:

Superman is a guardian, a policeman. Batman is a soldier. Wonder Woman is a warrior.

Ninja4Peace said:
I think I'm right in saying Batman is athiest/agnostic, Superman is Christian(ish), and Wonder Woman believes (knows) all the Greek/Roman Gods.

really? Nah. I don't think that analogy really works.

Ninja4Peace said:
Maybe the blur between wonder woman and superman comes, just because batman has no powers at all, (like a bigger distinction between atheism/theism than there is with monotheism/polytheism). But we don't need to go down that route for discussion.

The blur lies in the fact that Wonder Woman's been badly written for most of her career.

Ninja4Peace said:
I just don't want DC to get Joss Whedon to write a lesbian wonder woman, and exploit the Joedamn out of her.

Whedon won't be writing Wonder Woman. Gail Simone will. And it will be excellent.

Last edited:
Circe, I guess. Cheetah?
Yeah or Ares..but I was thinking more like, if ideally she'll be obsessed with the truth, (like spider jerusalem) her villain should be someone who lies a lot and spreads rumours and stuff. Looking at the list of wonderwoman enemies it's really surprising how none of them seem to stick round for very long
She was covered in Kingdom Come. . .
So were batman/superman it doesn't count
Well, she started from the beginning right after Crisis.
I suppose she would've done..the same time as batman and superman..is the story good? the secret origin says essential readings are: "gods and mortals","The Hiketeia" and "Eyes of the Gorgon" ...anyone vouch for these?

Also I like the idea that Wonder Woman is like the sort of hero you would get in greek mythology, Superman is supposed to be an allegory for christ (Kal-el, means [vessel]-[of god] like gabriEL or ariEL, and Batman is a more modern day realistic hero.

EDIT: Ok maybe I'm taking this religion thing too far.

Last edited:
EDIT: Ok maybe I'm taking this religion thing too far.

Definitely. You could make all sorts of interesting stories where you synch up DC's big three to different divinities and the like, but unless you go out of your way to make it a central theme of the story, the analogy really doesn't stick.

Wonder_woman_the_hiketeia.jpg

See that looks badass. If we have batman and superman at odds, why not wonder woman kills the DC universe.

Wonder_woman_the_hiketeia.jpg

See that looks badass. If we have batman and superman at odds, why not wonder woman kills the DC universe.

The Hiketeia was dope, and really brought out exactly what's great about Wonder Woman. While she's pure and chaste, never wavering in her ideals, she has a code that's skewed significantly away from the real world. Frankly, that should be one of the traits that makes her most interesting. In the xenophobic world we're living in, a character who has a different set of cultural values but is genuinely and whole-heartedly interested in making the world a better place, but who is always an outsider.... that should be interesting.

Sorry Ninja, we got stuck on ejaculate.

I know that was a hardcover, so DC must have thought highly of it at some point. I never read it though. Actually, I haven't read many good Wonder Woman comics at all. The only time I really followed her was when Byrne took over through somewhere in the middle of Jimenez.

So, I think Egg Fu should become a big Wonder Woman villain again. Also, with her seeing herself as a warrior ambassador, there should be serious issues with her breaking the Freedom of Power Treaty.

Latest posts

Back