08 - Constantine
07 - Blade
06 - Blade II
05 - Blade Trinity
04 - Spider-Man 2
03 - Batman Begins
02 - Sin City
01 - V For Vendetta

My top 10 would be (and I include older ones)

1. Superman I + II
  2. V For Vendetta
  3. Spider-man III
  4. Spider-man
  5. Batman begins
  6. X-men III
  7. Sin City
  8. Constantine
  9. The Crow
  10. Spider-Man II

Last edited:
Sin City, Batman Begins and Hellboy would be my top 3.

Oh boy another thread that has gone down hill through posts filled with 'ranking' our favorite comic book movies.

DSF.... you really owe me a freebee in the future whenever you feel the need to proclaim that I have bad taste in movies. I mean... Hellboy? Better than any of the Spider-Man films, X2, V For Vendetta, Superman: The Movie, even Superman Returns....gah. I mean, it was decent, but just....gahh.

it was better than Superman Returns.

worse than the other ones you mentioned though

DSF.... you really owe me a freebee in the future whenever you feel the need to proclaim that I have bad taste in movies. I mean... Hellboy? Better than any of the Spider-Man films, X2, V For Vendetta, Superman: The Movie, even Superman Returns....gah. I mean, it was decent, but just....gahh.

Top as in favourites, not top as in best.

I enjoyed Hellboy more than all of those movies above.

the best comic films are the ones that aren't from the big 2, i have enjoyed the bulk of the non-DC/Marvel (300, Sin City, V, etc.)comic movies, far more than the bulk of the Marvel/DC movies

The sad thing is, there's also a 'consensus' of fans that believe that the Punisher didn't do enough revenging.
I am no part of this consensus, and I was boosting the Thomas Jane Punisher movie from the day it came out.

It vanished on the big screen, but it did great on DVD. Once you get people to see it, they generally like it.

Castle himself never felt wronged, but rather that his family was...
This I think is right.

I like a good revenge pic. There's different types of avengers.

You've got your tough, berserk avenger, like Marv in Sin City (2005), or The Bride in Kill Bill Vol. 1 and Kill Bill Vol. 2 (2003) (2004). That can be great. I relish all three of those movies.

Frank Castle wasn't like The Bride, just crossing names off her list; he was trying to be as strategic as he could the whole time (and doing a great job with the fire hydrant gag, which I love), and the brute force confrontations happened because the bad guys didn't like being taken apart.

You've got your intriguers, like a character in Wild Things (1998 ) who was as sneaky as an alligator. You don't see them coming, nor did you hear them coming, but they made sure they were fully paid in cash, thrills and what The Bride called "bloody satisfaction" for how they'd been wronged. I thought that was great as well. I still do.

Frank on the bridge at the end wasn't like that character sailing away on the Helios at all.

His claim to be doing something else is colorable.

And a lot more manly than if his line had been just: I cried, now I'm going to make these people, the Saints, cry too.

Too many people had died for this to be about the single person Frank Castle and his revenge. And, tacitly, he got that, even if critics didn't.

Last edited:
Frank on the bridge at the end wasn't like that character sailing away on the Helios at all.

His claim to be doing something else is colorable.

And a lot more manly than if his line had been just: I cried, now I'm going to make these people, the Saints, cry too.

Too many people had died for this to be about the single person Frank Castle and his revenge. And, tacitly, he got that, even if critics didn't.
We are clearly in agreement and I have nothing else to add. :)

Latest posts

Back