X-Men Cinematic Universe - Timeline (Revised & Original)

Also, is there any way "X-Men: The Official Game" can fit in any timeline besides the original/Sentinel one?
In the Weapon XI gets shot by Deadpool timeline, I guess?

Apparently, the Illuminati team that appears are all from the same universe. This is interesting, because Captain Carter and Professor X are both members. I mean, I guess it's possible that they're the same timeline. Imagine Wolverine fighting alongside Peggy and the HYDRA Stomper in WW2.

But that makes me think it's just a variant of the X-Men Professor X, which the source also said is the case. Though, I think someone else said that they wanted Hugh Jackman's Wolverine to be a member too, so... I don't know.

Probably don't have to worry about it. Just a random Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline where Xavier looks like Patrick Stewart I guess.

I feel like making some distinctions from "Alternate" and "Altered" timelines.

Alternate for BIG changes that would be enough to form a completely new branch = "waves"

Altered for MINOR changes that affect the main timeline directly but not enough to create a branch = "ripples"

Agents of SHIELD and Loki kinda elaborated on how far does a timeline have to deviate to form a branch, but I think the MCU needs to elaborate on that more to be honest.

Here, the only examples I can think of is the DoFP timeline alteration with Bishop at the beginning of the film (since a change before a disaster doesn't create a branch) and Peter being saved from the wood chipper since he was such a nobody and it wouldn't have affected the film's plot at all if he died or not.

In the Weapon XI gets shot by Deadpool timeline, I guess?

Apparently, the Illuminati team that appears are all from the same universe. This is interesting, because Captain Carter and Professor X are both members. I mean, I guess it's possible that they're the same timeline. Imagine Wolverine fighting alongside Peggy and the HYDRA Stomper in WW2.

But that makes me think it's just a variant of the X-Men Professor X, which the source also said is the case. Though, I think someone else said that they wanted Hugh Jackman's Wolverine to be a member too, so... I don't know.

Probably don't have to worry about it. Just a random Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline where Xavier looks like Patrick Stewart I guess.

Does this make any sense at all?

*In terms of "[Alternate Vanessa/Logan(?) Timeline]"'s reasoning, as opposed to other alterations from the Prime timeline, is mainly due to Cable's continued existence in the Prime timeline and Wade Wilson's death still being the same timeline as Vanessa's (which is "Earth-41366"), as opposed to the Logan timeline (Earth-17315).
The teddy bear belonging to Cable's daughter disappearing once Wade Wilson's death was prevented, meaning Cable's future was 'unlinked' from the Prime timeline, becoming it's own branch (Earth-66250), but not himself. Vanessa's death being prevented and Cable not appearing for the remainder of the film, likely erasing his need to travel to the past since the events of the film were completely altered, would pave the way for no more generations of Mutants being born, thus no Cable in the Prime timeline. Meaning, the timeline for Vanessa's survival never had Cable thus inferring no future mutants, leading to Logan's timeline.

Last edited:
Mutants stopped being born in 2004 or something like that. In fact, that makes Firefist a part of the last generation of mutants, assuming that the X-gene doesn't start popping up again.

However, Cable did say he would stick around for a while to prevent the world from falling apart, which it certainly does in Logan, so Cable not being in the timeline does explain why things got so bad. Who knows?

Also, is there any way "X-Men: The Official Game" can fit in any timeline besides the original/Sentinel one?

Maybe the post-DoFP one? Since Magneto is an ally in the game, lining up with his redemption in Dark Phoenix, and Jean Grey is alive at the end of the game (not contradicting her survival in the post-DoFP timeline.)
I just watched the cutscenes from this game last night (did not feel like playing through it)

It pretty clearly takes place in the X2-X:men 3 gap, with references to both movies. Magnetos redemption is treated as a temporary arrangement that he makes clear is over at the end of the game.

It could take place in post-DOFP timeline, in the same way that a version of the first two movies could take place in the post-DOFP timeline but its very closely linked to the original trilogy

X-Men: The Official Game
I don't think it could be the Post-DoFP timeline. I'd have to rewatch it, but I'm fairly sure that it states that Jean "died" in the flood from X2. Also, Colossus is in his OT form, American accent. References to the Statue of Liberty from the first film are made, though similar events could have occurred. Nightcrawler might tie into X2 as well.

Was Mystique in the game, too?

I made a proposal a while back on how I think it could still take place in the original timeline.
I know I said I don't think X-Men: The Official Game is canon, but after watching a long play, it definitely fits.

Reasons:
1. It explains why Nightcrawler isn't in X-Men: The Last Stand.
2. It explains why the team are running a simulation on Sentinels in X-Men: The Last Stand.
3. It utilizes the film actors.

Now, going over why I thought it had been non-canon:
There is an individual who goes by the Silver Samurai that is vastly different to what is presented in The Wolverine. They aren't actually named, though. Probably similar to Emma Frost and Emma Silverfox, two separate people based on the same character.

The Sentinels. In the game, it's stated that Stryker has been involved with the project since before Weapon X in 1979. This makes sense, as he was there when Mystique assassinated Bolivar Trask in 1973. Apparently, they thought they couldn't get the program going, but they went into business with HYDRA to build Sentinels. It wasn't in their interest to turn them against mutants, Silver Samurai being their leader. Stryker had other plans.

On the timeline, Nightcrawler is having visions of Jason Stryker, which Xavier suggests is a residual effect of the mind control. I would think that it would disappear in less than a year, so I take it as still being in the same year as X2: X-Men United.

If you wish to include it as I have, here's this:
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 1: Lady Liberty
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 2: Liberty Island
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 3: Alkali Lake
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 4: Generator Room
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 5: Alkali Lab
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 6: Holding Pens
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 7: Testing Center
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 8: Hangar
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 9: Launching Bay
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 10: Dark Cerebro
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 11: Fission Plant
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 12: Coolant tunnels
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 13: Fire Serpent
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 14: Castle Gatehouse
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 15: Zen Garden
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 16: Brooklyn Bridge
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 17: Multiple Man
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 18: Warrior Dojo
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 19: Lady Deathstrike
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 20: Silver Samurai
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 21: Kowloon Highway
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 22: Downtown Kowloon
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 23: Giant Sentinel
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 24: Master Mold Interior
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 25: Augmentation Room
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 26: Master Mold Reactor
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 27: Telepurgatory
X-Men: The Official Game Chapter 28: Sabretooth

Comic Breakdown
Just some partial adaptation of X-Men (2000) in X-Men 2: Wolverine.

X-Men Chapter 24: Logan's Sacrifice" (1:26:14 - 1:28:34) [Alternate Sentinel Timeline]
X-Men 2: Wolverine (pg. 1) [Alternate Sentinel Timeline]
X-Men Chapter 25: " Recovery" (1:28:35 - 1:31:15) [Alternate Sentinel Timeline]
X-Men 2: Wolverine (pg. 2-4) [Alternate Sentinel Timeline]
X-Men Chapter 26: "Saying Goodbye" (1:31:16 -1:32:19) [Alternate Sentinel Timeline]
X-Men 2: Wolverine (pg. 5-6) [Alternate Sentinel Timeline]
X-Men Chapter 27: " Friendly Enemies" (1:32:20 - 1:34:25) [Alternate Sentinel Timeline]
X-Men 2: Wolverine (pg. 7-45) [Alternate Sentinel Timeline]
X-Men 2: Nightcrawler [Alternate Sentinel Timeline]

Suggested Additions
X-Men: Days of Future Past Promotional Material
There's 3 short video tie-ins to X-Men: Days of Future Past. They're for sure canon. They tie into a website that filled the gap between The Last Stand and Days of Future Past.

Trask Industries: Your Future is 50 years since 1973, therefore 2023, leading up to Days of Future Past. It's possible all 3 videos are set in 2023.

I don't know the order the videos released in, unfortunately.

????
The Bent Bullet: JFK and the Mutant Conspiracy
25 Moments in the Struggle between X-Men and Humans
Trask Industries: Your Future

X-Men: Apocalypse Promotional Material
In the Footsteps of... En Sabar Nuh is almost 10 years since 1973, therefore not quite 1983.

You're already including one of these, might as well add the rest.

????
In the Footsteps of... En Sabar Nuh

????

Fables of the Flush & Fabulous
Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters TV Commercial
X-Men: Apocalypse: Stan Lee Voicemail Message

May
X-Men: Apocalypse

????
X-Men: Apocalypse: Xavier's School for the Gifted Campus Tour

The Gifted Promotional Material
So, there's 3 videos for The Gifted which fit into canon. I've placed them based on airdate.

"Circle of Truth" actually works really well with X-Men: First Class lore regarding the Hellfire Club.

PSA: Sentinel Services
The Gifted 1x01, "eXposed"
The Gifted 1x02, "rX"
The Gifted 1x03, "eXodus"
The Gifted 1x04, "eXit strategy"
The Gifted 1x05, "boXed in"
The Gifted 1x06, "got your siX"
The Gifted 1x07, "eXtreme measures"
The Gifted 1x08, "threat of eXtinction"
The Gifted 1x09, "outfoX"
Empower Academy
The Gifted 1x10, "eXploited"
The Gifted 1x11, "3 X 1"
Circle of Truth
The Gifted 1x12, "eXtraction"
The Gifted 1x13, "X-roads"

Random Notes
On a note that isn't timeline related, HYDRA exists in the X-Men Film Universe in some form. Apparently they work for the Silver Samurai (Video Game) and broke into the X-Mansion during X2. I wonder if Bob (from Deadpool) worked for them at some point... ;)

Based on the Stucker family in The Gifted, I suppose Wolfgang Von Stucker would have been around during WW2 as well.

In the unlikely, unlikely chance that Xavier is the same version from the X-Men films, then this is also What If...? 1x01 would be in the X-Men Universe. HYDRA clearly exists in that reality. Don't know about that, though.

Last edited:
X-Men: The Official Game
I don't think it could be the Post-DoFP timeline. I'd have to rewatch it, but I'm fairly sure that it states that Jean "died" in the flood from X2. Also, Colossus is in his OT form, American accent. References to the Statue of Liberty from the first film are made, though similar events could have occurred. Nightcrawler might tie into X2 as well.

Was Mystique in the game, too?

I made a proposal a while back on how I think it could still take place in the original timeline.
Yeah, Mystique is in the game, and it really works best as what it was intended to be, an interquel between the second or third films. The appearance of Silver Samurai doesn't really contradict the 2013 Wolverine movie, as they are entirely different characters.

Probably the biggest wrinkle is the appearance of the Sentinels, but they are in X-men 3 anyway, and I think you could just assume they were supposed to be a "2nd generation" line of Sentinels that were never publically released.

(also Nightcrawler goes to hell in that game?? I think? it was werid)

I've been following the timeline you posted previously in my watch through. its working really well, although the Nightcrawler prequel comic i feel is a bit of an awkward fit, as it doesn't really match up with his portrayal in the movie. Particularly as the movie seems to imply that Nightcrawler has been living rough in the abandoned church for a while, whereas the comic sees Stryker kidnapping him from the circus and ends with him being prepped for his mission at the beginning of X2. Not exactly the biggest plothole in the foX-men timeline, but yeah

Also, this shouldn't be included in the official timeline but
I would put the past events of Legion Season 3 in the 50's with the majority of the events taking place in an alternate version of the 80s. I have some ideas about how this would work but they are entirely fan theories, as Legion is obviously supposed to be its own thing

Yeah, Mystique is in the game, and it really works best as what it was intended to be, an interquel between the second or third films. The appearance of Silver Samurai doesn't really contradict the 2013 Wolverine movie, as they are entirely different characters.

Probably the biggest wrinkle is the appearance of the Sentinels, but they are in X-men 3 anyway, and I think you could just assume they were supposed to be a "2nd generation" line of Sentinels that were never publically released.

(also Nightcrawler goes to hell in that game?? I think? it was werid)

I've been following the timeline you posted previously in my watch through. its working really well, although the Nightcrawler prequel comic i feel is a bit of an awkward fit, as it doesn't really match up with his portrayal in the movie. Particularly as the movie seems to imply that Nightcrawler has been living rough in the abandoned church for a while, whereas the comic sees Stryker kidnapping him from the circus and ends with him being prepped for his mission at the beginning of X2. Not exactly the biggest plothole in the foX-men timeline, but yeah

Also, this shouldn't be included in the official timeline but
I would put the past events of Legion Season 3 in the 50's with the majority of the events taking place in an alternate version of the 80s. I have some ideas about how this would work but they are entirely fan theories, as Legion is obviously supposed to be its own thing

For the sake of argument, lets say Charles Xavier was with his kid David until age 10. At least long enough for him to have a childhood and Xavier graduates university in 1962, moving on with his life while David is raised by his mum as a normal boy until he moves on with his own life.

But Xavier was born in 1932.
Do you SEE Harry Lloyd as Xavier at age 19 or 20?
legion_307_0604r.jpg

For the sake of argument, lets say Charles Xavier was with his kid David until age 10. At least long enough for him to have a childhood and Xavier graduates university in 1962, moving on with his life while David is raised by his mum as a normal boy until he moves on with his own life.

But Xavier was born in 1932.
Do you SEE Harry Lloyd as Xavier at age 19 or 20?
View attachment 488
Okay gonna go through my whole rationale
First of all, I'm not sure that David would have had to spend ten years with Charles? the end of Legion implies that David will have a "second chance at life" not necessarily that it will be picture perfect. There's no reason not to think that Charles and Geraldine would remain together. From my perspective the past scenes take place in the late 50s, lets say 1958, making Charles 26 which is a plausible age for Charles to be an academic student and also spent some time in the army. II'm going to outline how I think Legion could fit in with the Fox x-men movies. The second assumption I am going to make is that "the divisions" from Legion and "Division X" from First class are the same organisation on different timelines.

So in the early 50s Charles Xavier joins the army and takes part in the Korean war. He has an experience where he kills a Korean soldier using mind control, which deeply traumatizes him. He returns to the States following this event and attends university. He begins to have flashbacks to his experiences in the war which become mixed up with his childhood daydreams of fighting Nazis, this eventually leads to his breakdown and being committed to a psychiatric ward.

(Admittedly, the idea that the flashback we see of Charles killing a European soldier is a distorted memory is another assumption, but not without precedent as there is a theme of the imperfect nature of memory in Legion, with David at one point having been shown to have hugely misremembered events from his past)

While in the psychiatric ward Charles meets Geraldine who experienced the holocaust as a child but still struggles with the trauma over a decade later. What follows is what we see in the show, with Charles and Geraldine getting married, David being born, and Charles entering psychic combat with Farouk which leads to Farouk entering David's psyche. Geraldine, is deeply troubled by this experience, viewing David as "possessed" and eventually committing suicide. Charles, out of his grief, puts David into adoption.

Outside of the troubled Xavier home, the battle between Farouk and Charles did not go unnoticed, and the government agency known as "Division X" receives increased funding to battle the mutant menace, eventually becoming "The Divisions". This includes approval of experiments that were previously seen as hugely unethical, such as the one that created Admiral Fukuyama but also lead to some technologies such as the internet reaching mainstream prominence decades early, this helps explain the rather anachronistic setting of "Legion". It may also explain why no other prominent mutants appear in the show, as a more powerful Division 3 has been taking them out.

Anyways, the events of the show "Legion" take place in the late eighties, and through time travel shenanigans, they stop the fight between Charles and Farouk from happening. This means that Division X remains a small section of the CIA and never develops the influence that we have seen in the show, meaning that the future ends up developing into the Original X-men timeline.

As for Charles, Geraldine, and David... well maybe their relationship wasn't that great to begin with. Geraldine seems pretty unhappy and lonely with Charles, and its plausible they would still have problems even without the whole Farouk mess. I propose that they stay together a bit longer before Geraldine leaves Charles taking David. Charles responds by focusing all his energies into completing his doctoral thesis, leading to the events of First Class

Admittedly, this is just a fan theory, bordering on fan fiction almost. But if you want to consider Legion as part of the X-men timelines I think it would work. If you wanted to include it in a watch order I would say watch Legion before anything else.

Also Legion is so good, probably my favorite superhero show now

Let me clear up some of that Legion mumbo jumbo for ya.
Division 3 and Admiral Fukyama aren't 100 percent real. They are manifestations of David's psyche via reality warping. Like how Summerland was David's 'comfort zone' for him as a mutant, Division 3 was a manifestation of his paranoia for him as a mutant.

Also notice how in season 1 (the season finale) they look more grounded with the military general leading the organization. Then after David gets out of the orb, reality gets twisted by him, that with a combination of potential Time Eater shenanigans going on in the background (hence why Season 2 is a "year" later), twisted Division 3 into something...far less grounded and more anachronistic in Season 2.

Admiral Fukyama sounds like Ahmal Farouk? Kinda? Intentional. Humans are pattern seeking animals and Fukyama is another manifestation of David's paranoia. His backstory? Just memories, not history. Same with the people in Summerland. Remember in episode 1 when the door to David's patient room opened and the angle we saw it from showed no one there until it panned up and we saw Syd? ("I'm part of you." - Oliver Bird; Chapter 18)

Don't worry about them existing anymore now that all that is erased by the end. You can thank Switch and her (TVA?) dad for that in the series finale.

As for the Nazi in Charles' mindscape...that wasn't his memory. It was Gabrielle's inner demon in her head from her WWII camp trauma that Charles killed so she could recover from her catatonic-like state. That's the whole point of him going out of his little tented room and going down the hole in the ground was to symbolize him leaving his section and into Gabrielle's mind.

Last edited:
Also:
LegionWanted.png

Oliver was giving David clues from the very time he stepped into that club.
Luis Barbanegra = Lenny Busker
Der Ersticker translates to "The Choker"; which was the name of the giant tuning fork that nulled mutant powers.
The Cephalopod symbolizes the reach of your potential, HR ("Human Resources") symbolizes accepting help when needed, 14C (i.e. carbon dating) insinuates time travel as a means to David's endgame (i.e. SWITCH / "Plus One")

Most importantly look at the date on Oliver's date of birth: "10jan74" (same as his actor haha) means he was 'manifested' in January 10, 1974; around the time David reality powers would likely start to manifest. He's been "gone" for 20-going-on-21 years by the end of season 1, so 1994 is when Season 1 takes place. Amy also has to check her "emails" towards the end of season 1 and there's a reference to Jump by Criss Cross by the tweaker in Season 3 when he's interrogated. It's 90s with a nostalgic flair for decades prior.

If David was born in the 60s, Legion CANNOT be in the main X-Men timeline, or any of them. Also, his mother is an adult yet still has a Hitler doll from her being in a camp in the 40s; likely as a child despite the Time Eater illusion later on which David 'met' her in that camp, that was fake and the Time Eaters playing with him.

Not stretching btw, these are elements that have been confirmed to me from not only subtle elements in the show but also from outside sources.
If anything, Legion is more likely a prequel to the MCU than the X-Men universe. Especially the VERY similar things with Switch's dad in the finale and the TVA agents in Loki. Even if retroactively inspired.

Last edited:
Also:
View attachment 489

Der Ersticker translates to "The Choker"; which was the name of the giant tuning fork that nulled mutant powers.
The Cephalopod symbolizes the reach of your potential, HR ("Human Resources") symbolizes accepting help when needed, 14C (i.e. carbon dating) insinuates time travel as a means to David's endgame (i.e. SWITCH / "Plus One")

Most importantly look at the date on Oliver's date of birth: "10jan74" (same as his actor haha) means he was 'manifested' in January 10, 1974; around the time David reality powers would likely start to manifest. He's been "gone" for 20-going-on-21 years by the end of season 1, so 1994 is when Season 1 takes place. Amy also has to check her "emails" towards the end of season 1 and there's a reference to Jump by Criss Cross by the tweaker in Season 3 when he's interrogated. It's 90s with a nostalgic flair for decades prior.

If David was born in the 60s, Legion CANNOT be in the main X-Men timeline, or any of them. Also, his mother is an adult yet still has a Hitler doll from her being in a camp in the 40s; likely as a child despite the Time Eater illusion later on which David 'met' her in that camp, that was fake and the Time Eaters playing with him.

Not stretching btw, these are elements that have been confirmed to me from not only subtle elements in the show but also from outside sources.
If anything, Legion is more likely a prequel to the MCU than the X-Men universe. Especially the VERY similar things with Switch's dad in the finale and the TVA agents in Loki. Even if retroactively inspired.
Bruh, I was expecting a "you are over thinking it" response and you instead gave me a galaxy brain response. This is fantastic! thank you for enlightening me.

Damn, Legion is such a good show

Adjusted New Mutants.

I don't think it's confirmed that any of the characters were born in 2004 (the year of the last generation of mutants born) and could easily be older. Also, it ties directly into Logan.

So my theory: Since Wade saved Vanessa in the alternate 2018, he never met Firefist, thus never killed all those people at the Mr Sinister/Essex school the kid was raised at, thus giving Mr Sinister more opportunity to exploit the mutant gene from mutant kids at that school - leading to the Logan future.

Cable is never born thus the future with him is never created - all because of the Essex mutant-gene suppression putting a complete end to the X-gene in 2018.

Last edited:
So there's 3 prequel comics to the first film. Plus a special edition that contradicts the films.

But ALSO a 5th one that's called X-Men: The Movie - Iconnect Special that was sold exclusively on the Marvel website in 2001. It's an original story ("A Rogue By Any Other Name") but it has not surfaced online besides this one page and it is EXTREMELY rare.
I-Connect-Special-Rogues-Gone-Rogue.jpg

So there's 3 prequel comics to the first film. Plus a special edition that contradicts the films.

But ALSO a 5th one that's called X-Men: The Movie - Iconnect Special that was sold exclusively on the Marvel website in 2001. It's an original story ("A Rogue By Any Other Name") but it has not surfaced online besides this one page and it is EXTREMELY rare.
View attachment 548
I actually read the tie-in comics recently. I felt that they didn't really mesh well with the continuity of the movies, even by Fox x-men standards.

I got the impression that the prequels/adaption were based on an earlier draft of the script, as certain details of the story didn't match up with how they are portrayed in the movie. For example, Rogue's deadly kiss with her boyfriend is portrayed as happening at a school dance, not in her bedroom. Another detail is that the Wolverine prequel states that X-men 1 takes place in 2000

Also there's the special edition which is a sequel to the movie but also doesn't really match what happens in the movies, featuring line-ups of the x-men and brotherhood of mutants that can't really exist at any point in the movies timeline.

Personally, I like to view the X-men 1 tie-in comics as their own separate continuity

Also:
View attachment 489

Season 1 is 1994 or 1992?

Latest posts

Back