Yoda and other characters getting spin-off movies

E

Excelsior Club
Via Ain't It Cool:

Well, to start with they're going to focus on established characters and do solo films, no, not necessarily Han Solo films, but well, **** it... The first Stand Alone film is going to center upon YODA. At this stage specifics are sparse, but Kathleen Kennedy is putting together a STAR WARS slate... I'm wildly curious for more details on the YODA film - would this be a young or old YODA tale?

Knowing that Lucasfilm is doing a series of stand alone character features... I wonder if Joe Johnston has pitched Kennedy his stand alone BOBA FETT film he was talking about after the release of Captain America. Hmmmmm... Now, let's chase after YODA details... Where's FRANK OZ? Giggle. Gotta love chasing STAR WARS stories! Oh - and I've also heard tale of a JABBA story that Lucas has floated to some of his buddies. But word is YODA is first.

From Wikipedia:

Yoda is portrayed as a powerful Jedi Master in the Star Wars universe. Series creator George Lucas originally wished Yoda to follow his other characters in having a full name—Minch Yoda—but instead opted to have many details of the character's life history remain unknown. Yoda's race and home world have not been named in any media, canonical or otherwise, and he is merely said to be of a "species unknown" by the Star Wars Databank.

Money changes everything, but I'm interested to see what they come up with after they've built this sort of mystique about the character.

As cool a character as Yoda is (in Empire and Return anyway), I'm not sure the character could carry his own film, at least not as the focus.

Really? Wow. If any character in the whole story line could, I would think it would be him. A 900-year old Jedi master? What can't you do with that?

E said:
Really? Wow. If any character in the whole story line could, I would think it would be him. A 900-year old Jedi master? What can't you do with that?

Yeah, I think there's a lot that can be done.

I guess I just found Yoda cool in TESB and ROTJ as the mysterious, odd Jedi trainer. He was much much less cool in the prequels. I don't want to see him bouncing around fighting Sith, it was more cool to imagine than it was too see. Showing him in action kind of destroyed some of the character's mystique for me.

A Boba Fett movie would be more interesting.

The idea of a CGI lead character with an obnoxious speech pattern?

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to sit through two hours of that.

Yoda works in a very specific role. He's the wizened old zen master. He's the equivalent of the wise old teacher in samurai movies. I for one don't have a particular interest in seeing what his life was like growing up.

Last edited:
E said:

Zombipanda said:

Yoda works in a very specific role. He's the wizened old zen master. He's the equivalent of the wise old teacher in samurai movies. I for one don't have a particular interest in seeing what his life was like growing up.

Yeah, this sums up my opinion perfectly. And as Captain Canuck said, imagination will always trump actuality. Yoda was inherently less interesting in the prequels as opposed to the originals specifically because more was revealed about him--not about his origins, but about his being in the Jedi council and his Mexican jumping bean lightsaber techniques. Of course it didn't help that the prequels were terrible movies overall, which may have unfairly lessened the appeal of ALL the characters involved. Darth Vader was an awesome villain until his origin as a pre-Sith whiny ***** was shown in the prequels. God, Hayden Christiansen sucked.

Still, I think in general Disney knows how to handle their properties, and they'll hire the right scriptwriters and production team to get this done, so while I'm apprehensive about it, I know for a fact it'll turn out better than the prequels.

Agree with this, I do.

Boba Fett Movie: 'Star Wars' Spinoff Confirmed, In Pre-Production

The Boba Fett movie probably won't be an origin story as much as a "coming of age" tale of how he became a ruthless and persistent bounty hunter. Technically, Attack of the Clones was Boba Fett's origin, showing us a young boy who witnesses his father being killed by a Jedi.

Boba Fett is probably the least potentially interesting character in line for a spin-off. What did he do? He went after Han and failed and got eaten by a monster.

Boba Fett Movie: 'Star Wars' Spinoff Confirmed, In Pre-Production

Boba Fett is probably the least potentially interesting character in line for a spin-off. What did he do? He went after Han and failed and got eaten by a monster.

This and the Yoda movies are both terrible ideas. Yoda was awesome b/c he was a Jedi master who was super powerful and not at all what he seemed. The more you show him in roles beyond the ancient master role, the more you ruin what makes him cool.

Boba Fett was the hard core, mysterious bounty hunter that really didn't do all that much but looks really cool. I wouldn't mind a movie that features him more prominently as a villain (sort of like in Shadows of the Empire) but I don't want to know any more about who he is.

So basically, the prequel movies suck and Disney should learn from those mistakes.

I would probably watch a young Han Solo movie though.

Last edited:
I would probably watch a young Han Solo movie though.

I think all of what you just said about Boba Fett and Yoda could be said for Han Solo.

Not that I wouldn't like to see a Han Solo movie, but he's got way more of the mysterious cool past thing going on than Yoda or Boba Fett.

Not to mention Harrison Ford IS Han Solo. There can't be anyone else. Yoda is just a puppet (or CGI) and Boba Fett is just armor.

Latest posts

Back