Zombies ate my continuity

There's nothing in the issue that says it isn't the same Zombie Wolverine.

He's the only one of the Wolverines recruited who isn't given a specific Earth number and his world's featured in a scene directly out of the Marvel Zombies mini.

For my personal canon, it's the same guy and anything not published in an actual comic book will persuade me otherwise.

How about the fact that the Exiles zombie Wolverine got plucked from his reality, placed on another dimension and was killed there, while the Marvel Zombies Wolverine got cosmic powers and went off wandering in space with his pals? I think that was published in two actual comics.

How about the fact that the Exiles zombie Wolverine got plucked from his reality, placed on another dimension and was killed there, while the Marvel Zombies Wolverine got cosmic powers and went off wandering in space with his pals? I think that was published in two actual comics.

He was both a Zombie and Wolverine, he could have easily had his head reattached. Plus, since one does being plucked out of time preclude someone from having further adventures after being returned?

According to one of the Handbooks, the Ultimate U, Zombie U, and Supreme Power U are all in the same multiverse as 616.

Not quite, but thank you for acknowledging the handbooks. See below for clarification.

The latter two are much higher in numbers (30,000-ish range, I think), separating them from 616.

Being numbered doesn't confirm being part of the same multiverse. The Core Continuum Designations (e.g. the numbering) could well be omniversal, and we've quite deliberately kept a check on non-Marvel comics universe numbers (like DC's Earth-1, Earth-2, etc), and thus far avoided using any already known to be claimed. And that's regardless of whether they were used by DC, 2000 AD's Zenith strip, the Chronicles of Luther Arkwright, Top Ten, Wanted or any other series which distinguished between alternate realities using a numbering system.

To make this clear - there's three levels of alternate realities here. Multiverse's share the same kind of abstract cosmic beings - e.g. all realities within the 616 multiverse have Eternity, for example. Megaverse is slightly bigger, and can encompass more than one multiverse or parts thereof. A megaverse contains related realities, "closer" to one another in some respect, but not sharing the same higher cosmic beings. Given the similar inhabitants, if 616 and the Ultimate universe aren't in the same multiverse, then they are almost certainly in the same megaverse. And then there is the Omniverse. That's everything, every reality.

But whether they are in the same multiverse or same megaverse doesn't change the odds of 616 and Ultimate crossing over with one another. DC and Marvel don't share the same megaverse, only the same Omniverse, but they've crossed over before, and undoubtedly will eventually do so again. 616 and Ultimate? Its down to the writers; if they want it to happen, then it will, if they don't then it won't.

Oh, and for the record, given his fate, I suspect Exiles' Zombie Wolverine is unlikely to be Marvel Zombie's ZW. However Exiles' ZW could well be the Wolverine of the reality from which the infected Sentry who started the plague on MZ-Earth came from.

The Wolverine from the Sentinel dominated reality however I do think was the original Days of Future Past Wolverine. Poor schmo got yanked out his own time just before he was fried in mid-air by a Sentinel, only to be fried anyway while with the Exiles, and his toasted corpse sent back to the moment he got yanked from. As a result no one in the DoFP timeline realised he was already dead when the Sentinel's blast hit him. But fret not - Earth X's Aaron Stack will resurrect him.

Not bad - just very busy. Handbooks planned into 2007, so no rest for the wicked.
Yeah, you guys are awesome with that. Keep up the great work, dude! I can't imagine the hard work, but as long as you guys keep putting them out, I'm sure to buy them. :D

Yeah, you guys are awesome with that. Keep up the great work, dude! I can't imagine the hard work, but as long as you guys keep putting them out, I'm sure to buy them. :D

Cool, and thanks for the support. Some sweet surprises coming Handbook-wise next year. Since Feb's solicits have come out now, I think I'm safe to say we're switching back and forth between A-Z issues and themed issues through the year.

Being numbered doesn't confirm being part of the same multiverse. The Core Continuum Designations (e.g. the numbering) could well be omniversal, and we've quite deliberately kept a check on non-Marvel comics universe numbers (like DC's Earth-1, Earth-2, etc), and thus far avoided using any already known to be claimed. And that's regardless of whether they were used by DC, 2000 AD's Zenith strip, the Chronicles of Luther Arkwright, Top Ten, Wanted or any other series which distinguished between alternate realities using a numbering system.

To make this clear - there's three levels of alternate realities here. Multiverse's share the same kind of abstract cosmic beings - e.g. all realities within the 616 multiverse have Eternity, for example. Megaverse is slightly bigger, and can encompass more than one multiverse or parts thereof. A megaverse contains related realities, "closer" to one another in some respect, but not sharing the same higher cosmic beings. Given the similar inhabitants, if 616 and the Ultimate universe aren't in the same multiverse, then they are almost certainly in the same megaverse. And then there is the Omniverse. That's everything, every reality.

But whether they are in the same multiverse or same megaverse doesn't change the odds of 616 and Ultimate crossing over with one another. DC and Marvel don't share the same megaverse, only the same Omniverse, but they've crossed over before, and undoubtedly will eventually do so again. 616 and Ultimate? Its down to the writers; if they want it to happen, then it will, if they don't then it won't.

You broke my brain here, Stuart.

Ok, not quite, but I was kind of hoping you'd show up to clarify anyway. Megaverse is a new term to me, and it makes sense that 616 and Ultimate are in the same megaverse, but in different multiverses. Ultimate Reed's universe stacking theory, as well as the highly different Galactuses and the seeming lack of cosmic beings in the Ultimate Universe seems to lend credit to this. Megaverse, I assume, is simply an umbrella term used to have various multiverses created by one company grouped together.

A Megaverse and the Omniverse would then seem to be more abstract than a multiverse. For example, I'm sure its highly unlikely that Ultimate Reed (Barring a 616 or DC crossover) would discover the Marvel Megaverse or the Omniverse. Megaverse and Omniverse seem to be more like literary devices rather than scientific theory like a multiverse.

Christ, I'm such a geek. . .

You broke my brain here, Stuart.
It makes my head hurt too.

Ok, not quite, but I was kind of hoping you'd show up to clarify anyway. Megaverse is a new term to me,
It was introduced in the Alternate Universes Handbook, so it is fairly new. There was the feeling that there was the need for a level between multi and omni verses.

and it makes sense that 616 and Ultimate are in the same megaverse, but in different multiverses. Ultimate Reed's universe stacking theory, as well as the highly different Galactuses and the seeming lack of cosmic beings in the Ultimate Universe seems to lend credit to this.

I'd agree - in particular the different Galactuses (Galacti?) lends weight to this. Lack of sightings of cosmic beings in and of themselves doesn't quite prove it, because without spending a lot of time with the likes of Dr Strange or your powerful cosmic types, we are unlikely to see Eternity anyway. Doesn't mean he isn't there. But that was a radically different Galactus, so that does imply differing multiverses. However, its also noteworthy that if Galactus serves as evidence of which multiverse you are in, then the Zombies are in the same multiverse as 616, not Ultimate...

Megaverse, I assume, is simply an umbrella term used to have various multiverses created by one company grouped together.

Pretty much.

A Megaverse and the Omniverse would then seem to be more abstract than a multiverse.

Certainly its harder to quantify a given megaverse, and, in theory, a reality could be in more than one. Easier to visualise if you did any mathematical set theory.

For example, I'm sure its highly unlikely that Ultimate Reed (Barring a 616 or DC crossover) would discover the Marvel Megaverse or the Omniverse. Megaverse and Omniverse seem to be more like literary devices rather than scientific theory like a multiverse.

I'd agree with that.

Christ, I'm such a geek. . .
You and me both. But then so's Reed, so hey, we're in good company. :D

I'd agree - in particular the different Galactuses (Galacti?) lends weight to this. Lack of sightings of cosmic beings in and of themselves doesn't quite prove it, because without spending a lot of time with the likes of Dr Strange or your powerful cosmic types, we are unlikely to see Eternity anyway. Doesn't mean he isn't there. But that was a radically different Galactus, so that does imply differing multiverses. However, its also noteworthy that if Galactus serves as evidence of which multiverse you are in, then the Zombies are in the same multiverse as 616, not Ultimate...

Interesting. . .never thought of that.

You and me both. But then so's Reed, so hey, we're in good company. :D

Indeed! Thanks for your insight, man!

Oh, and for the record, given his fate, I suspect Exiles' Zombie Wolverine is unlikely to be Marvel Zombie's ZW. However Exiles' ZW could well be the Wolverine of the reality from which the infected Sentry who started the plague on MZ-Earth came from.

This is a very fair compromise and I actually like it even more than them being the same character.

I'd actually like to see this pre-Marvel Zombies universe and find out the differences between the two now.

Actually, I kind of wish there's be more differences between Marvel Zombies and 616 too. One Colonel does not an new universe make.

This is a very fair compromise and I actually like it even more than them being the same character.

I'd actually like to see this pre-Marvel Zombies universe and find out the differences between the two now.

Actually, I kind of wish there's be more differences between Marvel Zombies and 616 too. One Colonel does not an new universe make.

Well everyone was turned into a zombie in one.

Just sayin.

Well everyone was turned into a zombie in one.

Just sayin.

I enjoyed the similarity between MZ and 616... I mean, I dont want to see some random universe full of superhero zombies, I want to see characters familiar to me eating innocents.

Just for fun I thought I'd resurrect this old thread instead of posting in one of the other million Marvel Zombies threads we have.

Dead Days would've been more interesting if the same ground wasn't being covered in MZ/AoD, and better and funnier. It's good to know there's a universe out there where Reed Richards is more insane than in 616.

The Zombies also pop up in Black Panther 27 this week, with the FF transporting to the Zombie universe somehow and ending up on the Skrull Homeworld just as the Zombie Galacti show up. It doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would to have 616 characters in the Zombie universe, but I sincerely doubt I'd feel the same if anybody from the MZU or UU end up in 616.

In other news, Hudlin actually wrote a competent and fun comic. I think McDuffie's rubbing off on him and I don't fear this crossover so much anymore. I just wonder how much input Kirkman has in it.

"Dead Days" made me realize something that I have been wondering about... all the heroes/villains in the zombie-verse are chumps!!! Like near the end, totally B.S.

Say, anyone notice Deadpool in Nick's group? Just remember. he's grey instead of red.

But, Marvel Zombies is full of crap that doesn't make sense. Like... the actual appearances of the zombies. I really think the ones that don't really do anything are just spacefillers and shouldn't be considered canon.
"Dead Days" did answer a few questions, but there are still a dozen more. Right now, "MZ vs. AoD" is the only thing making the most sense.

Latest posts

Back