Zune vs. iPod

Check out the refurbs Skotti posted. Two of my friends got refurbs and they work perfectly. I'm thinking about getting an 80GB refurb...it's barely more than the 30 GB new.

Also, if you can wait...rumors are circulating that there will be a new iPod introduced (or at least announced) for Christmas...full screen video with on-screen sensor-based controls on the back of the unit. It looks very cool, and would be awesome to get the videos in widescreen.
I'll look into that. Thanks.

And thanks, Skotti, too.

I've got a Zen from Creative Labs and I love it. I've had a few minor problems, mainly stemming from the fact that I'm not running XP or higher on my machine, but that was pretty easily solved with a third party application.
Zen's > iPods.

I believe my friend has a Zen or something like it. Those are the big ones right? 'Cuz if they are, HORRIBLE. Yeah, nice big screen and all, but the big size of it turns me away completely. I want something small and portable, yet can hold a lot of memory, i.e. ipods.

iPods FTW!

I believe my friend has a Zen or something like it. Those are the big ones right? 'Cuz if they are, HORRIBLE. Yeah, nice big screen and all, but the big size of it turns me away completely. I want something small and portable, yet can hold a lot of memory, i.e. ipods.

iPods FTW!
I have an 80Gig Zen, thats exactly the same size as a video iPod. The sound quality is certainly better than the older iPods I've heard, and it cost me about half the price of a bigger iPod.

I have an 80Gig Zen, thats exactly the same size as a video iPod. The sound quality is certainly better than the older iPods I've heard, and it cost me about half the price of a bigger iPod.

An 80Gb Zen? Really? The biggest I can find is a 60Gb, and that's more than the iPod 80Gb.

I'm really miffed by the comments that this that or the other has better sound than the iPod. Yeah sure, I admit, the old earbuds SUCKED, but I've never used them. If you use the same headphones between the iPod, Zune and Zen, there is no difference (i know this because I have access to my friends' Zune and Zens) and yes, I made them take the Pepsi Challenge, and they ALL failed to find the iPod by audio quality.

An 80Gb Zen? Really? The biggest I can find is a 60Gb, and that's more than the iPod 80Gb.
It might have something to do with the way Creative runs the Zen distribution - when I broke my first one after a tragic arts and crafts accident, I found out we're considered part of Asia rather than the western markets and some stuff isn't available here that is in the States and vice versa. My old one was a 60 though.

I'd trawl through the Zen website and find you a link but honestly, it makes me cry bitter bitter tears. I like their products but their websites are awful.

I'm really miffed by the comments that this that or the other has better sound than the iPod. Yeah sure, I admit, the old earbuds SUCKED, but I've never used them. If you use the same headphones between the iPod, Zune and Zen, there is no difference (i know this because I have access to my friends' Zune and Zens) and yes, I made them take the Pepsi Challenge, and they ALL failed to find the iPod by audio quality.
I'd certainly hope the sound quality has improved. A lot of my friends got in early with the iPod-stereo connections and play it through large speakers and you can hear the difference on the older models they have. Like I said, I make no claims regarding the newer models.

It might have something to do with the way Creative runs the Zen distribution - when I broke my first one after a tragic arts and crafts accident, I found out we're considered part of Asia rather than the western markets and some stuff isn't available here that is in the States and vice versa. My old one was a 60 though.

I'd trawl through the Zen website and find you a link but honestly, it makes me cry bitter bitter tears. I like their products but their websites are awful.

I'd certainly hope the sound quality has improved. A lot of my friends got in early with the iPod-stereo connections and play it through large speakers and you can hear the difference on the older models they have. Like I said, I make no claims regarding the newer models.

It's not just the Zen subsite, the entire Creative site bites ***, it literally took me like an hour to find a Vista driver for my dad.

Yeah, I'll be totally honest, I had a MuVo before I got my Nano for christmas, then I just recently bought my Video iPod a couple months ago. I can't vouch for how terrible X-23's (yes, i named my iPod X-23) predecessors were. Tho, I do remember how horrid my MuVo was -.-

If you have i-pod video (I have one but got cheap one for plane incase i lost it in usa) I recommended you buy *cough*torrent*cough* DVDFab platinum . You can use that to easily take a dvd remove all menus and subtitles and compress it down to I-pod , psp or Generic (nearly all other portable media devices)

Also it helps you get past you copyright on your dvd. (Not illegal since you are allowed back ups of and dvd you buy)

That's why I bought two and half men season 1 (was on my list anyways as it's a great show) to take the episodes 1 by one and put them on an i-pod to watch and enjoy.

Ipods are far superior to Zunes.

Yes, the zune may have the new features like radio and file-sharing, but Ipods also have that capability with the right software. And what it all came down to with me is survivability. You do your research and you'll see that Zunes just dont last near as long as Ipods before breaking. Beuing the accident prone Apple junkie that I am, I opted for the Ipod.

I've heard of few iPods not breaking around here. They seem shoddily built.

Also, if you can wait...rumors are circulating that there will be a new iPod introduced (or at least announced) for Christmas...full screen video with on-screen sensor-based controls on the back of the unit. It looks very cool, and would be awesome to get the videos in widescreen.

That was a rumor at least year ago.:(

Last edited:
That would only be a worthy feature if there was anything on radio worth listening to.
100% true.

The only time I listen to radio is during the Christmas time for the holiday music. Only time I ever listen to radio.

100% true.

The only time I listen to radio is during the Christmas time for the holiday music. Only time I ever listen to radio.

I should clarify...it's not so much the music (which is horrible for the most part anyway) but rather the 40 minutes of commercials per hour.

Sirius Satellite Radio FTW!

I should clarify...it's not so much the music (which is horrible for the most part anyway) but rather the 40 minutes of commercials per hour.
I know, it's the same for me. They all say "Only 10 minutes of commercial time!" "50 minutes of non-stop music", but its never true.

My dad bought XM.

I've heard of few iPods not breaking around here. They seem shoddily built.

That was a rumor at least year ago.:(

But here's the thing...if you take your broken iPod to an Apple Store, or call their warranty line...you get a FREE replacement, no questions asked.

I love my ipod but I've never even tried a Zune so I'm biased.

I want Sirius so bad. I'd love a Stiletto but I don't need two MP3 players even if one plays satilite radio. Holy jeez do I want one though.

I love my ipod but I've never even tried a Zune so I'm biased.

I want Sirius so bad. I'd love a Stiletto but I don't need two MP3 players even if one plays satilite radio. Holy jeez do I want one though.

I just got a Stiletto 100 - it's awesome. Being able to listen to Howard Stern over wi-fi is worth the price alone.

Somewhere down the road, Apple should manufacture a mechanical housekeeper that plays music while it works, and call it....the iRobot! And it could and it could take orders and protect itself but not harm anyone and stuff!

Am I right?:)

Somewhere down the road, Apple should manufacture a mechanical housekeeper that plays music while it works, and call it....the iRobot! And it could and it could take orders and protect itself but not harm anyone and stuff!

Am I right?:)

and it plays mp3's, like my sig says.

Latest posts

Back