The All About Dreamcasting Thread

Re: Dreamcasting 2009

My main qualm is that how do we know that everyone participating is going to pick round topics that have broad interest. What if I want my three topics to be "Alice in Wonderland, Jonah Hex, and the Beverly Hillbillies." Those may not be topics that other people want to do. This means that votes could be cast not on the basis of how good an actual cast is, but rather what round they would rather see next time. Even if this doesn't happen my unpopular round ideas could keep others from participating leading to the decline of Dreamcasting that we saw in the not to distant past.

That's the point. You don't have to pick one of your own properties. The idea is that people will be less likely to pick their own properties because they'll want to compete in that round. And there will be a wide variety to choose from, because the size of the pool will never shrink.

ProjectX2 said:
I thought it had already begun and was going well...

We'll know that when we see if I've won or lost. ;)

Last edited:

Eh.... I guess so. It just seems like adding an unnecessary step to me.

Seconded. Adding this kind of intermediate stage I think would kill interest.

Not only that, but it would basically take away the fact that by winning you get to make the choice. There has to be SOME incentive to win these things, and its not like we're going to put some kind of prize on the line.

I like the idea of a pool. I'm going to say seven properties should be in the pool at a time, the winner uses one of the properties in the pool (but they should NOT say which of the properties they will pick until they win, to avoid the people voting to get the next property scenario discussed earlier in this thread.), and then adds one on top of the seven.

Have we discussed the first pool at all?

I think we should, to keep it diversified, make sure to put, let's say two comic book properties into the pool, two remakes, two book adaptations, and a video game adaptation... Just to start with.

OR we could start a multiple-choice poll with a huge list of them, and whichever properties get the most votes go into the first pool.

Seconded. Adding this kind of intermediate stage I think would kill interest.

Not only that, but it would basically take away the fact that by winning you get to make the choice. There has to be SOME incentive to win these things, and its not like we're going to put some kind of prize on the line.

I like the idea of a pool. I'm going to say seven properties should be in the pool at a time, the winner uses one of the properties in the pool (but they should NOT say which of the properties they will pick until they win, to avoid the people voting to get the next property scenario discussed earlier in this thread.), and then adds one on top of the seven.

Have we discussed the first pool at all?

I think we should, to keep it diversified, make sure to put, let's say two comic book properties into the pool, two remakes, two book adaptations, and a video game adaptation... Just to start with.

OR we could start a multiple-choice poll with a huge list of them, and whichever properties get the most votes go into the first pool.

Hm. There's an idea. I'd prefer a larger pool though, at least a dozen choices. Maybe everyone who plans on competing contributes two properties? Perhaps one that's a specific story, one that's a general property, then they both have to be from different mediums.

That sounds reasonable, at least if we choose the people who seem most invested in the project, and then have them choose two properties each. Their two properties should each come from a different medium.

I don't think the pool should get any larger than 12. Otherwise it'll get way too big and most of the choices just won't ever see the light of day. Ourchair or VVD should have the honors of choosing the six people who get to choose two each.

That sounds reasonable, at least if we choose the people who seem most invested in the project, and then have them choose two properties each. Their two properties should each come from a different medium.

I don't think the pool should get any larger than 12. Otherwise it'll get way too big and most of the choices just won't ever see the light of day. Ourchair or VVD should have the honors of choosing the six people who get to choose two each.

I think that's a good way to do it.

Whatever size we go with is the size it will stay at. I think a dozen is a good number. Maybe just ten.

Last edited:

I've got some work to do before I read all your responses, but I've been pretty on the fence about the proposal about declaring properties in advance, so I'm striking it.

Posted the new round, moderated by Langsta with the slightly revised rules.

Future moderators must cut and paste this box, verbatim:
1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the next round, and is free to choose any property to be cast, whether it is based from comics, videogames, books, cartoons or real world figures.

2) When the moderator chooses a property, he or she may specify a medium (TV, film, cartoon) and a cast of at least 4 characters and a maximum of 9. Should he or she fail to specify a medium, then it is open game what medium participants want to play with.

3) Actors may not reprise their parts at all. Those who have played a character on film or TV may not play the character on voice and vice versa. Simply put, Kevin Conroy cannot put on a Batsuit and Christian Bale is not allowed to voices in your fantasy Batman CG adventure.

4) If you would like to cast an additional character, you must swap one out for another. However, the moderator has the option of leaving blank spots deliberately, with a maximum of 9. For example, he or she may declare, "Fantastic Four, and at least two bad guys and a Fantastic Friend (i.e. She-Hulk, Power Man)

5) Each round lasts ten days from the point the moderator posts it, and voting lasts for at least a day and any time past that needed to secure a victory.

6) And a final reminder: This is Dreamcasting, not DreamMovie. There are no story pitches. You can describe the character, talk about the kind of arc perhaps he goes through or what nuance he brings to the character or what kind of incarnation he's playing, but you can't write a freaking trilogy. No exceptions. Emphasize casting decisions and why you chose an actor.

Essentially they can be reduced to these laws:

ONE. Winners become moderators.

TWO. Be specific, and ask for at least four, but no more than nine.

THREE. Nobody who has been Batman can be Batman again.

FOUR. Optional casting must come with a cost.

FIVE. A round is ten days, but victories must be swift and decisive, at the moderator's discretion.

SIX. Dream a cast, not a movie or dream a movie, and pick the best cast. But never let your dream movie get in the way of the cast.

Boo!

The pitch is the best part!
Save the pitches for the inevitable return of the Dreamcasting Remakes Thread, which should never have been derailed into a Dreamcasting Adaptations Thread, which is what happened after I left you guys alone with it.

Last edited:

Save the pitches for the inevitable return of the Dreamcasting Remakes Thread, which should never have been derailed into a Dreamcasting Adaptations Thread, which is what happened after I left you guys alone with it.

I do the Devil's work

Definitely. I still want a separate pitch game that doesn't involve casting.

Agreed. Well, I'm not sure how long a film pitch game would last without casting, but I think something maybe broader could work.

Last edited:

Don't worry guys, I wasn't planning to be a total fascist and remove pitch games entirely. Doom and I have been talking extensively and we will be re-introducing a pitch oriented game soon. We just want to take it slow with how these movie-based game threads come back and make sure we don't saturate it badly.

After a few rounds of Dreamcasting, the DreamMovie thing will be fixed into something new and then maybe we'll bring back Dreamcasting Remakes.

I thought this new game was going to make it so we didn't have like six games running at once...

And is the idea of a pool of topics gone?

I thought this new game was going to make it so we didn't have like six games running at once...
Yes and no.

Yes, we're going back to zero so we don't have so many games at once, but also we're bringing back the old stuff but making sure that they are clearly distinguished from one another like I had originally intended.

Does anyone besides me think that there should be a day or two after a Dreamcasting topic is chosen before casts should be posted? Like have there be a designated time period solely for casting before casts can actually be posted. I'm thinking that way the casting might be a bit more fair to those people that otherwise don't see the new round until after three casts have already been posted, thus leaving most of the obvious choices taken.

I know a bunch of people are busy with finals and stuff and prepping for the holidays......but is anybody interested in this coming back within the next week?

Or would it be more convenient to try and bring this back starting in January?

aside from the game, can we have like a dreamcasting thread? so people can post casts they'd like to see that they don't think will ever turn up in a proper round?

Cause I'd hate to have us do another FF/JLU/Avengers round just because the game gets little attention when a b-property is up.

Latest posts

Back