Marvel: Your Universe Thread

Based on his Ultimates run, I'd be reeeeeeally leery of Hickman on Avengers. I like him a lot but Ultimates just hasn't done it for me.

But you didn't like his run on Ultimates b/c it wasn't grounded in reality as much as you expected, right? Do you have the same expectations for the Avengers?

Or am I completely off on your reasonings?

They're just rotating their big names through the core books.

It kind of makes me skeptical that all of these guys really have strong pitches for the books they're moving to.

But you didn't like his run on Ultimates b/c it wasn't grounded in reality as much as you expected, right? Do you have the same expectations for the Avengers?

Right, as compared to the rest of the Ultimate line, at least as it once was. Avengers isn't, so no, I don't have the same expectations.

They're just rotating their big names through the core books.

It kind of makes me skeptical that all of these guys really have strong pitches for the books they're moving to.

Yep, exactly. They're good enough writers, for the most part, that maybe that doesn't make as big of a difference as it would someone else, but it's still probably worth noting.

My reading list over the last week consisted of a lot of very crappy Marvel books but one that I did quite enjoy was Untold Tales of Punisher Max #1. It's a story told through the eyes of a lowlife who takes on a one-time job for a bookie to pay off a debt, which spirals out of control. I saw one review whining about Punisher not really being in the book but it was a good story and fit in well with the Punisher MAX "universe", so who cares?

The writer is Jason Starr - I don't think I've heard of him but I'd be interested in seeing more Punisher MAX from him. I can't find any info about whther this is a new series or a one-shot.

I read Fantastic Four Annual #33 by Alan Davis and, while it wasn't terrible, it was a total bummer because it was a slap in the face bringing me to realize that Hickman will be leaving this book and, while it might be good, it won't be Hickman good. What a disappointment.

Space Punisher was corny Star Wars-esque fun. I liked the idea and they did a good job with it. Proj won't read it because he doesn't like to have fun.

Kind of enjoyed Kelly Sue DeConnick on Avenging Spider-Man #10. The story is kind of bland but there's something I like about the dialogue.

Peter Parker, Spider-Man #156.1 was OK...I seem to remember some discussion here questioning why they would release a .1 issue on a defunct book...it doesn't really make any sense, and the book takes place today so I'm not sure what the point is.

I think the point is to celebrate the history of Spider-Man by connecting today with the series of the past or something like that. But if that's what they're going for it's rather contrived and pointless.

Anyone reading Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers? Curious to know about Juggernaut since a cover shows him in his Juggernaut costume, but his powers were taken way during Fear Itself when Colossus became the new avatar for Cytorakk. Is he just a human with regular strength or something?

I have been, but I haven't seen Juggs in it yet. They are in an alternate future at the moment, so it could be related to that.

Last edited:
E said:
My reading list over the last week consisted of a lot of very crappy Marvel books but one that I did quite enjoy was Untold Tales of Punisher Max #1. It's a story told through the eyes of a lowlife who takes on a one-time job for a bookie to pay off a debt, which spirals out of control. I saw one review whining about Punisher not really being in the book but it was a good story and fit in well with the Punisher MAX "universe", so who cares?

The writer is Jason Starr - I don't think I've heard of him but I'd be interested in seeing more Punisher MAX from him. I can't find any info about whther this is a new series or a one-shot.

Is anyone else reading this? I really like it.

#3 was written by Megan Abbott - I've never heard of her. It's disturbing as heck.

I just finished reading Annihilation. The main series was pretty interesting, but I didn't really love the intro mini-series. They made Drax a whole lot caller than he ever was in the 80s-90s though.

Is Annihlation Conquest any good? I read War of Kings a while back and really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I just finished reading Annihilation. The main series was pretty interesting, but I didn't really love the intro mini-series. They made Drax a whole lot caller than he ever was in the 80s-90s though.

Is Annihlation Conquest any good? I read War of Kings a while back and really enjoyed it.

Conquest is great, its when DnA took over from Giffen and they really took off. You need to read their Nova series before and with it too.

I just read The Thanos Imperative after getting it in the ComiXology sale a week or so ago. It was fun but I didn't like the art much. I really liked the really... well, comic booky art that most of the cosmic books had had up untill then so changing to a scratchier style didn't work for me. And I'm really curious how Thanos
got out of the Cancerverse.

I really liked Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest...War Of Kings was mediocre.

And yeah, Drax was a huge improvement. The last I had read of him before this was Infinity War-era, so if there were any stories with him since then I hadn't seen them. It was quite a change from the dumb simpleton Drax.

Actually, that brings up a good question. Did something happen since then that made him less stupid? Or did it just happen with no explanation because it was a new writer?

E said:
And yeah, Drax was a huge improvement. The last I had read of him before this was Infinity War-era, so if there were any stories with him since then I hadn't seen them. It was quite a change from the dumb simpleton Drax.

Actually, that brings up a good question. Did something happen since then that made him less stupid? Or did it just happen with no explanation because it was a new writer?

Apparently the was a miniseries that took place before annihilation in which Drax dies and comes back to life smarter. From what I understand he also meets up with that girl Cammi then.

Drax Earthfall by Giffen and Brietweiser

It was brilliant, also where that girl Cammi came from

Thanos Samaritan by Giffen and Lim also set up about a third of the stuff that happened in the prologue

The whole Annihilation Saga (Thanos Samaritan-Drax Earthfall-Annihilation-Nova-Conquest-Guardians of the Galaxy-War of Kings-Realm of Kings- Thanos Imperitive-Annihilators) Is incredible I highly recomend you read it all!

I read that, but collected as a prologue to Annihilation in the Annihilation hardcover, if I'm remembering correctly.

I do not remember him starting out dumb like he was in Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade.

I can't wait to read this!! (Avenging Spider-Man #16). :D

AvengingSpiderMan_16_Cover.jpg

I'm trying to decide what I think about Captain America by Rick Remender.

On one hand, the art is terrible and I don't really care about what's happening in the story.

On the other hand, Ed Brubaker's Captain America made me love the character so much that I don't want to drop it.

Latest posts

Back