2006 World Cup

Ice said:
Thank God it's over.

Ice is a real American, illustrating two of their characteristics : Dislike of any non "american" sport and a propensity to thank God for things he has nothing to do with.

;)

E.Vi.L. said:
Congratulation to Italia.

France had a better second half and overtime than Italia but if you don't score, there is no point awarded for effort.

I wonder what Matterazi can possibly have said to Zidane 10 minutes before the end to make him lose his temper this bad. The guy has only been expelled 12 time (including this) in 17 years of professionnal football. To do this in this spot, when France wasn't losing the game... Might have been something about his wife/family (the guy is known for being old fashioned about things like that). I don't know. Not an excuse but still, I'd like to understand.

i saw what he did, a head butt straight into the guys chest, that has GOT to hurt. and i don't think the guy even saw it coming.

E.Vi.L. said:
Congratulation to Italia.

France had a better second half and overtime than Italia but if you don't score, there is no point awarded for effort.

I wonder what Matterazi can possibly have said to Zidane 10 minutes before the end to make him lose his temper this bad. The guy has only been expelled 12 time (including this) in 17 years of professionnal football. To do this in this spot, when France wasn't losing the game... Might have been something about his wife/family (the guy is known for being old fashioned about things like that). I don't know. Not an excuse but still, I'd like to understand.

Apparently, watching the news this morning, a Brazillian TV station got in lip readers to see what he said. It was something like: "Your sister is a prostitute! **** you!"

And then Zidane headbutted him. But he did get that player of the tournament thing. The headbutt didn't affect it - all the votes had already been sent. :D

E.Vi.L. said:
Ice is a real American, illustrating two of their characteristics : Dislike of any non "american" sport and a propensity to thank God for things he has nothing to do with.

;)
Amen to that.

E.Vi.L. said:

;)
I don't like soccer because it's non "american". It's plain out boring. And of course I don't have anything to do with that. I'm glad I don't.

ProjectX2 said:
Apparently, watching the news this morning, a Brazillian TV station got in lip readers to see what he said. It was something like: "Your sister is a prostitute! **** you!"
...and The Guardian (an English newspaper) wrote that Zidane was called a terrorist (in reference to his Muslim belief) and French papers says that Materazzi said something bad about his sick mother.

Ice said:
I don't like soccer because it's non "american". It's plain out boring. And of course I don't have anything to do with that. I'm glad I don't.

AMERICAN born and raised, but i love my soccer, its the thrill about game, either that or it was all the time i spent playing in my younger days in cali playing with my lations, asians, and blacks. we loved the game, cuz we could play anywhere we wanted.

nigma said:
AMERICAN born and raised, but i love my soccer, its the thrill about game, either that or it was all the time i spent playing in my younger days in cali playing with my lations, asians, and blacks. we loved the game, cuz we could play anywhere we wanted.
Funny how you put American all in caps as if I meant something against that.

Ice said:
And of course I don't have anything to do with that. I'm glad I don't.

No, GOD. A Propensity to Thank God for things God has nothing to do with.

Thanking God for just about everything is very common amongst Americans. And even if for many it's just an expression, it's still revealing.

In French there is the expression "Dieu Merci" which literrally means "Thank God" but it is slowly falling out of usage. Haven't heard it weeks.

Last edited:
Ice said:
God has to to with everything, but that's a WHOLE nother subject. :wink:

Yeah, even a whole different forum!

It'd be fun to see comic geeks debate theology though. I wonder how long it would be before Thor makes an apparition in that discussion?

JonnyFreeze said:
those damn argies cost me 130 quid this time around

i always wondered what quid meant...

and yeah, they cost me my money too.

BUT I'M MUCH HAPPIER WITH MY TEAM WINNING AFTER WAITING SINCE I WAS 8 YEARS OLD! WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

i would write more, but i'm burnt out from celebrating.

and for the record, baseball is crazy boring. at least in soccer the players spend most of the time moving.

E.Vi.L. said:
It'd be fun to see comic geeks debate theology though. I wonder how long it would be before Thor makes an apparition in that discussion?
For that you should read what Seldes wrote about that.

Anyways, back to how Jonny Freeze lost his money. :)

Ice said:
For that you should read what Seldes wrote about that.

Anyways, back to how Jonny Freeze lost his money. :)

No, let's talk about the World Cup.

I have a new gif for everyone to use.

zidane.gif

OWN3D!

iceman said:
and for the record, baseball is crazy boring. at least in soccer the players spend most of the time moving.

I've never seen a baseball player stop, sit down, and tie his shoe, as I saw in the CHAMPIONSHIP game yesterday. The most important game of the tournament and the guy just sits down and starts tying his shoe.

Latest posts

Back