2006 World Cup

moonmaster said:
Steroids is mostly baseball, not football.

Funny you should mention this today.

http://www.cbsnews.com/

Steroid improves the performance of an american football player a lot more than those of a baseball player. It stand to reason that the temptation to use is even higher.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Steroid improves the performance of an american football player a lot more than those of a baseball player. It stand to reason that the temptation to use is even higher.

True, but the rules and testing in the NFL are MUCH more strict than in baseball.

E said:
True, but the rules and testing in the NFL are MUCH more strict than in baseball.

There are always loopholes.

The most obvious being that they aren't tested AFAIK during the dead season. They are all tested at the beginning of the season and then 7 players per team randomly after every game.

Not bad. Great by most league standard, even. But most of the body mass building occurs in the dead season anyway, not during. I'd be very surprised if less than 50% of the linebackers aren't using "Supplement". between the end of the season until two weeks or so before the beginning (Or however long it takes for the drugs to leave the system).

Also, anything that increase the testosterone level is great for a football player. But the natural level of testosterone in the body vary a lot between men, so to be safe the NFL has set the unlawful level at 6x time the normal level. Plenty of leeway to use even during the season.

Don't kid yourself, the NFL athletes are using plenty of the good stuff, probably a lot more than their clean image would lead you to believe. But, hey, no question it could be a lot worse.

Last edited:
Moonmaster said:
*sticks gun in Proj's mouth*

Say that again.

See, if you were smart, you will have already killed me. Now I'm going to eat your heart. Mmm, tender. Just like Warren Ellis said.

GO INDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait....i thought we were talking about cricket.....:wink:

and never mess with football fans....of any kind....cuz you havn't seen a riot until we win :twisted:

Here are the latest odds according to sportingbets.com

Brazil 5/2
England 15/2
Germany 8/1
Argentina 17/2
Italy 9/1
France 12/1
Holland 14/1
Spain 14/1
Czech Rep 25/1
Portugal 25/1
Sweden 40/1
Ukraine 40/1
Mexico 50/1
Ivory Coast 80/1
Poland 80/1
Serbia and Montenegro 100/1
Switzerland 100/1
USA 100/1
Australia 150/1
Paraguay 250/1
South Korea 250/1
Ecuador 300/1
Ghana 300/1
Japan 300/1
Tunisia 300/1
Costa Rica 500/1
Angola 750/1
Iran 750/1
Togo 750/1
Saudi Arabia 1000/1
Trinidad 1500/1

They are giving Brazil a lot of respect. But their team is old. FYI, no team with an average age above 28 has won the cup since, well, Brazil, 44 years ago. Their current team is almost the same as the one who won in 2002, only 4 years older. This is a long and tough tournament. I think a younger team will take the cup. By that same logic, France has even less chance. Another aging team.

iceshadow said:
Aww, they're not there... wait, what the hell is Tunisia?

That place where they shot the Tatooine sequence for the latest Star Wars movies.

Last edited:
heard on the news today that the german filth, pigs or whatever you wanna call em...okay police will be wearing high-vis vests similar to britains police to try to keep the england fans calm and feel more at home. i dont get it. we will trash our own police anyway so germans posin as bobbys are gonna get twice the kickin probably

JonnyFreeze said:
heard on the news today that the german filth, pigs or whatever you wanna call em...okay police will be wearing high-vis vests similar to britains police to try to keep the england fans calm and feel more at home. i dont get it. we will trash our own police anyway so germans posin as bobbys are gonna get twice the kickin probably

Dude you never saw a brazilian riot yet, too bad the ppl that do it are ppor and are not going to germany

E.Vi.L. said:
The most obvious being that they aren't tested AFAIK during the dead season. They are all tested at the beginning of the season and then 7 players per team randomly after every game.

That stuff stays in your system though...you can't use a regimen during the off-season and then quit cold turkey and have it completely eliminated from your system. And using it once or twice isn't going to do anything for you.

E said:
That stuff stays in your system though...you can't use a regimen during the off-season and then quit cold turkey and have it completely eliminated from your system.

Yes, you most likely can. Well, not eliminated completely, but the unlawful level are fairly high. Like the Testosterone level needing to be over 6X time that of an average man before it is considered that you are using illicit substance. Trace amount won't cut it. Plenty of medical excuse can get around that. Steroid are a prescribed medication for plenty of medical conditons, for example.

The NFL anti-drug system is thorough but its standards are fairly loose. If your nutritionist (or whomever set up your drug regimen) knows what he's doing, it's gotta be fairly easy to get by.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Yes, you most likely can. Well, not eliminated completely, but the unlawful level are fairly high. Like the Testosterone level needing to be over 6X time that of an average man before it is considered that you are using illicit substance. Trace amount won't cut it. Plenty of medical excuse can get around that. Steroid are a prescribed medication for plenty of medical conditons, for example.

Interesting...I didn't know it worked like that, but it does make sense.

I would have to question whether there is really an advantage to using any kind of steroid for a number of months, then have to quit (and go through some level of detox). It's not like they can continue using during the season, at least not in any amount that would be beneficial.

Are the World Cup (or whatever the governing body is for the World Cup) standards much different?

E said:
I would have to question whether there is really an advantage to using any kind of steroid for a number of months, then have to quit (and go through some level of detox). It's not like they can continue using during the season, at least not in any amount that would be beneficial.

Well, I haven't played football, but in hockey, during the season, you only train to maintain your shape, not improve it. It's during the off-season that you train hard to add body mass and increase your fitness. It's therefore in the off season that steroids would do the most good. What you gain in the off-season, you can in theory maintain with appropriate training during the season with lower level of steroids or even without them at all.

E said:
Are the World Cup (or whatever the governing body is for the World Cup) standards much different?

FIFA use WADA standard, I believe.

Well, I can tell you very few, if any, soccer players use steroids. What would be the point? Becoming bigger and stronger would hinder a soccer player performances. They are all about agility and endurance.

I believe the main illicit drugs use in soccer is EPO. I'm not sure if it's the same acronym in English, but I am referring to the same drug that the cyclists use to increase their red blood cell count and thus improve their endurance.

I'm not sure how efficient their anti-doping program is. They too have random testing for platers after every game (well, for the World Cup at least, I don't follow the regular leagues).

If they want to avoid getting caught, it can't be harder than for cyclists. It is a well known fact that most of the leader in top cyclist competition are on EPO while training and cut off before the competition. The drug is eliminated sooner than its effect. All you can detect after about week is an abnormally high red cell count, and like footbal with testosterone, they place the unlawful level very high indeed.

But the benefical effect can't be maintained through training, the higher red cell count will go down no matter how often you sleep in oxygen tent. So cyclist have to use between major events. Therefore I believe soccer players are amongst the cleanest in the world. Not for moral reason, just for practical ones. Most steroids are pointless for them and EPO is unpractical over the course of a season. But it has to be tempting just before a major competition like the World Cup. Especially if you can be sure you won't be controlled for a month or so before the competition. Like if you are nursing a minor injury...

The most likely drugs they use IMO are over the counter drugs for various breathing ailments. Can't remember the names of these drugs, but I read an article about how common it is for a hockey players to be 'asthmatic' and receive medication for it. Yeah right. As if you can make it to the NHL by being a genuine asthmatics. I can't see why soccer player wouldn't do the same.

Last edited:
Patriot Mk2 said:
Ugh my exams are on during the World Cup.........the only good reason to watch football in four years.......

Yeah football fans are absolute scumbags, generally speaking, and its accepted worldwide. Most other sports in Europe have civil fans. But football...ugh. Great to play, **** to watch.

Yeah, that happened to me in 2002. I finished a Bio test, turned the classroom TV on to see Italy and S. Korea go into overtime, watched a little, then realized I was gonna be late for my history final, gunned it over there, convinced the teacher to let me turn it on, only to tune in just as the Koreans scored.

Also, the odds take into account the group the teams are in. America would normally have much better chances than Ivory Coast and Poland, but we are in a really tough group, so we might not even make it out of the first round.

As for Ukraine... Ukraine is strong.

iceman said:
Also, the odds take into account the group the teams are in. America would normally have much better chances than Ivory Coast and Poland, but we are in a really tough group, so we might not even make it out of the first round.

Good point. Another factor in the odds are the bets themselves made by the average gambler. If most people expect a team to go well, it will reduce the odds offered by the gambling site, no matter what the truth of these expectations are. Since part of these expectations are generated by the home fans, I suspect that not that many americans are betting on the US and it influence the odds to raise a bit.

Statistically speaking, I don't think Brazil odds to win are anyhwere close to 2.5 to 1. But the betting sites must be getting so many bets for Brazil that they have to offer those odds or they'd go broke if Brazil won and they were offering 4 to 1.

Personnaly if I were betting on sporting events I wouldn't bet on Brazil simply because the money odds VS their real odds of winning are not favorable IMO. Even if they are really most likely to win, I'd think it was closer to 4 or 5to 1. In poker, when the pots pay you 2.5 to 1 but the odds of completing your flush and winning are 4 to 1, you pass (or bluff but that's another story).

I'd bet on England instead. These are pretty good odds considering Englands come to teh cup with its best team in decades.

My guts still say Germany if Ballack can recover in time. The Home team usually does surprising well, and for three time World Cup champions, unusually well would be winning.

Last edited:
I'm torn.....being American I want USA to at least advance into the next round or 2. But being of Mexican and Spanish descent I want Mexico and/or Spain to win. And since being in Italy for my Honeymoon, I've grown to like the Italian team also. So I bought soccer jerseys for all the teams except the USA team in Italy and I will wear them while each team plays. I would have bought a USA jersey but for some reason there were none for sell.

Germany wins 4 - 2 against Costa Rica. Great offense even without Ballack, shaky defense that worries me for my 'guts' pick. Germany's second goal had me cheering. And the last one on a perfect kick from over 30 meter was impressive.

If it's true that the first game sets the tone for the tournament, it's gonna be exciting.

Latest posts

Back