2006 World Cup

My dad and I are playing in this tournament thing, where you have to pick who's going to win, and possibly even the points difference.

E.Vi.L. said:
Ooh, post your picks so we can praise or mock you!

Well, so far I've picked the favourites out of each game. That plan got upset with the Poland Ecuador game. However, I did choose Germany to win against Costa Rica with at least 2 or more, so I get extra points for that.

E.Vi.L. said:
Germany wins 4 - 2 against Costa Rica. Great offense even without Ballack, shaky defense that worries me for my 'guts' pick. Germany's second goal had me cheering. And the last one on a perfect kick from over 30 meter was impressive.

If it's true that the first game sets the tone for the tournament, it's gonna be exciting.

same thoughts. i saw the first half and a little of the second during my lunch break (boss at a convention, hence the self-regulated lunch break), and Germany looked good, but not good enough to win it in my opinion. Their offense did look great, but they didn't dominate the flow of the game and their defense wasn't good. Costa Rica is not a great team. The last goal was ridiculous, and yeah, the second one was pretty.

i had equador winning in my pool thing, woot. didn't watch the game though.

about the betting, you're right about not betting on Brazil. it would be a relatively safe (I'm still saying Brazil, unfortunately) bet, but the return wouldn't be enough to really merit the risk. england is a good bet, perhaps Czech republic.

what i realized last night is that there is a great chance that either Italy or the US will have to play Brazil in the 2nd round. so i'm reaaaaaaaaal thrilled.

best game so far: Argentina Vs Ivory Coast

ive managed to catch every game so far and there have been some really ****ty games but the ARG V I COAST match felt like a real world cup game

Did I see that one of the games ended in a tie? A TIE?!

No sport is a sport that can end it a tie. Because if that's the case there's not point in playing the game.

E said:

No sport is a sport that can end it a tie. Because if that's the case there's not point in playing the game.
It's ok. Just let the anger out.

My mother was watching this yesterday. I wanted to slam my head over and over while she had it on.

E said:

FACT.

Especially when adults play. Ties are totally acceptable when kids 10 and under are playing in the Pop Werner leagues.

I mean what kid wants to know that he's a loser.

Doesn't hockey sometimes end in ties.
And NFL games can end in a tie if no one scores after 1 OverTime Period.
NFL Rule Book said:
In preseason and regular season games there shall be a maximum of 15 minutes of sudden death with two time outs instead of three. General provisions that apply for the fourth quarter will prevail. Try not attempted if touchdown scored. If there is no score in the 15 minutes, the game shall end in a tie.

Anyway........WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MEXICO WINS 3-1 IRAN

Last edited:
JonnyFreeze said:
best game so far: Argentina Vs Ivory Coast

ive managed to catch every game so far and there have been some really ****ty games but the ARG V I COAST match felt like a real world cup game

Yes, Argentina looking good. A good performance against the best African team of the hour. Too bad for Ivory Coast, they are in a very tough group.

I saw the end of Sweden VS Trinity Tobago. It was hilarious to see the Swede look like they lost and Trinity look happy like they won the cup. Shows the difference in expectation.

E said:

No sport is a sport that can end it a tie. Because if that's the case there's not point in playing the game

Sports that can end in a tie :

American Football. It used to be common, but has become more unlikely with the addition of sudden death overtime. Still a possibility.

Boxing. Fairly common in Boxing.

Hockey. Used to be very common in hockey but now we have shootouts at the end of overtime. If you tied at the end of regular time, you are still awarded a point even if you lose the shootout.

And now soccer ; For the World Cup, it can only happen during the the first three group match for each time. They are trying to figure out the best 2 team out of 4. Then when it gets to the final 16, no game may end in a tie. If there is no goal in overtime, there is a shootout. A nail niter to be sure, given the stakes.

But I think Soccer ends in ties a lot more often that other sports. Either that or the score is 1-0 or some insignicant number. Honestly, how can you watch a sport where someone wins 1-0?

moonmaster said:
But I think Soccer ends in ties a lot more often that other sports. Either that or the score is 1-0 or some insignicant number. Honestly, how can you watch a sport where someone wins 1-0?

Thus the reason why baseball sucks as well.

Victor Von Doom said:
Thus the reason why baseball sucks as well.
I only care about the White Sox.

When they're winning.

moonmaster said:

Suspense. A goal is a big deal. Even a missed opportunity is a big deal.

OTOH, sports like basketball have little genuine moments of emotions. A basket is no big deal. There will be like 80 basket between the two teams. It seems to me that preventing the other team from sinking one ball in the net is a bigger deal than a successful basket since it is less common. I can't watch that and be on the edge of my seat because of the tension. What tension?

Overall, I prefer hockey. Similar type of game but faster pace. But in soccer there is even more room for tactics so it compensate.

There has been quite a few interesting game so far in the World Cup and I enjoy it a lot.

Low scores in soccer means you watch the whole game, as compared to basketball, which has huge scores but is really important in the last quarter.

Also, damn, did we get rocked. That was pathetic. Also, Koller is a beast.

Also, the Italians looked pretty good, I'm confident they might beat the Czechs and take the group. If they don't... then they're screwed.

Latest posts

Back