2006 World Cup

E.Vi.L.

Woohoo.

I barely watch any soccer for 3 years and 11 months but every time the World cup comes around, I become a fan again.

As a Kid, in 1990, I was in Europe with my parents. I caught the fever. This is the greatest sport tournament in the world. Nothing can compare!

Germany won in 1990. The dullest World Cup in history according to experts and it still marked my imagination. I guess the fervor of our hosts was contagious. And when France, "the cousins", (I'm from Québec) won in 1998, it was as close as I'll ever get to see my national team win. That was so great. I mean, Canada never even qualified for the World Cup so I have to live vicariously through my favorite teams.

World Cups are more hotly disputed than any other sporting events opposing national teams. No other sport has so many quality national team with a legitimate shot at the title. I mean, American Football? No one plays outside of the US. Baseball? 3 quality team at the olympics, at best. Hockey? About 6 can hope for a medal. But Soccer? You see hotly disputed match at every phase of the tournament. Many very solid team can't even make the final phase of the world cup and be one of the 32 team in the tournament.

2006 is shaping up as a great tournament.

My heart is with France.
My head says Brazil.
My Guts say Germany.

Let the games begins!

Who else will be watching?

Last edited:
ESPN had a thing a little while ago (might have even been today) about how incredibly racist fans are, with people throwing bananas at African players, and chanting "Osama" at US players.

Classy.

E said:
ESPN had a thing a little while ago (might have even been today) about how incredibly racist fans are, with people throwing bananas at African players, and chanting "Osama" at US players.

Classy.

Depends which fans. But I wouldn't expect the German fans to be the most restrained.

Especially since Budweiser managed to nab exclusive right. :lol: Thankfully Bitburger managed to get an exemption. The only thing worse than a drunk german fan, is a German fan forced to drink bad american beer.

Last edited:
Most of the complaints as I understood it were with the Mexican, Brazilian, and Spanish fans.

I just thought it was interesting; if someone did that at an NFL or NBA game they would be crucified on the spot.

It seems to me that what it is - and I don't mean for this to sound like an insult to soccer fans - but they have to do things like this to pump a little excitment into the sport.

I'll be watching the world cup

COME ON ENGLAND

LOL we never win (england) but I hope we do. I also bet £1000 on england winning.

England is awesome! we have the tuffest football hooligans in the world. man i get so hyped up every world cup its just a shame my other team isnt in it this year, cameroon. supported them since i was a little `un.

anyways so does anyone here like domestic football? whos ya team?

JonnyFreeze said:
England is awesome! we have the tuffest football hooligans in the world. man i get so hyped up every world cup its just a shame my other team isnt in it this year, cameroon. supported them since i was a little `un.

Does "hooligans" refer to the players or the fans?

fans. cmon u guys seen green street baby thats what we are all about. domestically im all about:

xxx-oldham-athletic.gif

but aside from Oldham, any team this guy plays for:

132416_351X180.jpg

Jimmy is the Don! crazy that the netherlands wont pick him for their side anymore. too old? pssh the guy is still a footballin god

Last edited:
I can't imagine the fans being a bragging point.

JonnyFreeze said:

Yeah our fans are great LOL

I dont watch much football none world cup matches. It use to be man united but lets face they have been sooooo bad the last 2-3 years I'll have to say liverpool is now my fave.

Last edited:
Ice said:
Excuse me? Seen who or what? :?

that movie Green Street or something. elijah wood is in it. shows u what being a yob is all about. we are going to tear the crap out of germanys cities and their stadiums. whoop! whoop! man u guys shoulda never made this thread im hyped up into oblivion

Americans don't care about the World Cup. Therefore, it is not a real sport.

End of discussion.

sjmole said:
Yeah our fans are great LOL

I dont watch much football none world cup matches. It use to be man united but lets face they have been sooooo bad the last 2-3 years I'll have to say liverpool is now my fave.

i think peepl misunderstand that utd are still makin moves. liverpool havent done **** either. i think most of their players with the exception of that weirdo ROBOKOP crouch and gerrard are boring to watch. and mole u cant jus be switchin teams like that! if utd fans knew u did that they would murder you and the liverpool fans dont want a man united fan

moonmaster said:
Americans don't care about the World Cup. Therefore, it is not a real sport.

End of discussion.

its about more than football. its about whos countrymen can get the most KO`s in the streets.

but seriously if u guys did better in the world cup ur country would care about it more every time it comes around. give it time

A humor list I subscribe to did a list of Signs the World Cup is about to start. Here are some of my favorites:

-The world gets a collective chill preparing for stadiums full of chanting Germans.

-America shifts its attention from ignoring hockey to ignoring soccer.

-For a brief moment in time, Europeans dislike each other even more than they dislike Americans.

-Players are tested for steroids; fans are tested for rabies.

JonnyFreeze said:
its about more than football. its about whos countrymen can get the most KO`s in the streets.

but seriously if u guys did better in the world cup ur country would care about it more every time it comes around. give it time
No, we just don't like Soccer.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of any sport. What I don't get is that, according to what I've read, the entire continent of Europe basically shuts down during the World Cup. For instance, Superman Retuns isn't even being released in the U.K. until two weeks after it comes out in the U.S. because apparently no one goes to see movies during the World Cup. I just don't understand how that many countries can be that obsessed with any sport. Europeans act like Americans are idiots who are obsessed with sports, and yet no sporting event in America is big enough to stop the entire country. I just find the level of extreme, widespread obsession with one sport (let alone Soccer) to be very stupid.

its awesome the whole shut-down thing. everyone phones in work sick. the countries go into chaos its like the good old days or something. we just love it over here. i dont think bad of americans. if u guys just generally dont like it then fair enough. one more thing i love about footy is the sheer beauty of causin a big fuss till the pigs come to make the arrest. then let `em have it with a plastic chair
violence_hooligan.jpg

ENG-ER-LUND!!!
ENG-ER-LUND!!!
ENG-ER-LUND!!!

Latest posts

Back