2006 World Cup

moonmaster said:
No, we just don't like Soccer.

You'd be surprised how many americans like soccer. You can't mount a decent national team without a solid base and the US have managed to qualify for a few World Cup now which in and of itself is an accomplishment. Without even bothering to check stats and I can tell there are a few hundred thousands players in the US.

JonnyFreeze said:
its awesome the whole shut-down thing. everyone phones in work sick. the countries go into chaos its like the good old days or something. we just love it over here. i dont think bad of americans. if u guys just generally dont like it then fair enough. one more thing i love about footy is the sheer beauty of causin a big fuss till the pigs come to make the arrest. then let `em have it with a plastic chair
violence_hooligan.jpg

ENG-ER-LUND!!!
ENG-ER-LUND!!!
ENG-ER-LUND!!!
See, that's what I'm talking about. It's ridiculous. People kicking a ball around is no reason to shut down an entire country or start a ****ing riot in the streets. It's stupid. At least in America we don't have people rioting in the streets over sports (Well, most of the time. I believe the basketball play-offs cause a riot or two every few years).
E.Vi.L. said:
You'd be surprised how many americans like soccer. You can't mount a decent national team without a solid base and the US have managed to qualify for a few World Cup now which in and of itself is an accomplishment. Without even bothering to check stats and I can tell there are a few hundred thousands players in the US.
Still, I can guarantee you that World Cup news is going to be pushed to the back of every sports report and only air on ESPN2, if at all. The only people I know who like Soccer are the Mexican kids at my school.

moonmaster said:
Still, I can guarantee you that World Cup news is going to be pushed to the back of every sports report and only air on ESPN2, if at all.

ESPN will present 21 games. ESPN2 will present 31. ABC will present 12, including the final, live from Berlin.

I knew Moonmaster guarantee weren't worth much. ;)

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
ESPN will present 21 games. ESPN2 will present 31. ABC will present 12, including the final, live from Berlin.

Fine, but the ratings are gonna suck.

E.Vi.L. said:

In fairness, ABC (or maybe it's NBC) also airs the WNBA, and nobody watches that either. :D

Soccer is a nitch sport in the US. Just like Hockey.

I found it hilarious when the hockey team from Florida beat a Canadian team to win the hockey championship a few years back. Think about it. The team from state with no naturally occuring ice and a country that doesn't care beat a team from the country that invented the sport.:D

JonnyFreeze said:
i think peepl misunderstand that utd are still makin moves. liverpool havent done **** either. i think most of their players with the exception of that weirdo ROBOKOP crouch and gerrard are boring to watch. and mole u cant jus be switchin teams like that! if utd fans knew u did that they would murder you and the liverpool fans dont want a man united fan

like i said i'm not a big football fan except world cup

and people saying about usa

World cup >>>>>>>>>>>>superbowl

and dont get me started on your world series as you are the only country it how can it be a WORLD series lol

Last edited:
the only sporting experience that i can put above the World Cup is seeing Penn State Football in Beaver Stadium, and that is only when we're winning. Thankfully, this year was a huge comeback year.

World Cup rules, went to 2 games in '94. Spectularrrrrr.

I'm split though, as my native US, and motherland Italy are in the same group, and Czech Republic is rather good, so one of my teams probably won't make it. Some people are saying Italy can go all the way because they actually have an attack (for once), but they said that in 2002 and Totti did didly sh*t, and Cassano and Vieri are both off the squad.

US could do well, but they're plagued by anti-Claudio Reyna, and being in the group of death.

E said:
In fairness, ABC (or maybe it's NBC) also airs the WNBA, and nobody watches that either. :D

No one watches WNBA in the friggin world. Everyone with a TV outside of the US watches the World Cup. Like that commercial said, it caused a truce in Ivory Coast! Because their team made it!

All American people do is just assume their teams are going to kill all at the olympics, then whine when they underperform. It's an honor just to play in the World Cup, and there are only like 10 teams in the world that judge more on if they win than if they make it.

iceman said:
No one watches WNBA in the friggin world. Everyone with a TV outside of the US watches the World Cup. Like that commercial said, it caused a truce in Ivory Coast! Because their team made it!

All American people do is just assume their teams are going to kill all at the olympics, then whine when they underperform. It's an honor just to play in the World Cup, and there are only like 10 teams in the world that judge more on if they win than if they make it.

:rockon: :rockon:

100% agree with you. Nicely put

sjmole said:
like i said i'm not a big football fan except world cup

and people saying about usa

World cup >>>>>>>>>>>>superbowl

and dont get me started on your world series as you are the only country it how can it be a WORLD series lol
Do any other countries even play Baseball?
iceman said:

We don't care about the Olympics either.

ok sure. tell that to me when the Dream Team fails to win gold again, and everyone is like "ZOMG WHAT HAPPENED!!!!1"

iceman said:

I love it when people turn something into an anti-American argument.

Riddle me this: if we (generally) don't care about soccer and care even less about the World Cup, what makes you think we care about what an honor it is to play in it?

Evil is making sense and avoiding being insulting. Copy him.

moonmaster said:
We don't care about the Olympics either.

He's right.

iceman said:
ok sure. tell that to me when the Dream Team fails to win gold again, and everyone is like "ZOMG WHAT HAPPENED!!!!1"
What Dream Team?

See, I don't even know what you're talking about.

moonmaster said:
What Dream Team?

See, I don't even know what you're talking about.

The 2004 Men's Basketball team didn't win the gold. The funny thing is that a bunch of NBA players were asked to play and declined, basically because they didn't care and/or didn't want to risk injury playing in a meaningless tournament.

And for the record, the original "Dream Team" did win the gold. Twice. They aren't all Dream Teams.

E said:
The 2004 Men's Basketball team didn't win the gold. The funny thing is that a bunch of NBA players were asked to play and declined, basically because they didn't care and/or didn't want to risk injury playing in a meaningless tournament.

And for the record, the original "Dream Team" did win the gold. Twice. They aren't all Dream Teams.

funny, thats what the papers call all of them

moonmaster said:
Do any other countries even play Baseball?

kinda stepping on my point there lol

the point was it's not WORLD but america thinks that because THEY like it they are the world and so its a world series like alot of americans make out the world cup is useless and not good when the rest of the world loves it.

E said:
I love it when people turn something into an anti-American argument.

Riddle me this: if we (generally) don't care about soccer and care even less about the World Cup, what makes you think we care about what an honor it is to play in it?

Evil is making sense and avoiding being insulting. Copy him.

He's right.

Sorry if that sounds un-american, but its what happens every Olympics! And I hate it when people over-use the term un-american. I wasn't aware stating opinions was un-american! I'm just as insulted that you called me un-american as you are that I said something non-perfect out our (it's mine too, who knew?) country. so pot kettle black.

Latest posts

Back