5 Questions I would ask Bendis if he had to give a straight answer

icemastertron said:
It is not too late. There's still that chance because we really didn't get anything out of this. So someone can still make him better.

Thats how I see it. Ultimate Omega Red was definitly a throw away type character, but not a joke like Shocker is in the Ultimate universe. He could be brought into UXM and be a relatively serious threat, assuming he goes about his plans with a little more tact than he did in USM. Though if Spidey can take him out on his own, I don't really think the whole team would be required.

Bass said:
Anyhow, the above rant is why I don't read Bendis' comics anymore. I fell off the wagon. It'll never happen again.

Until the next time.

I just got a kick out of seeing your English-schooled *** spelling "program" as "programme". For a country who supposedly despise the French, many of your spelling techniques are decidedly influenced by them...or maybe I'm just an ignorant American. Anyway, the post itself summed up pretty much what everyone else has been saying since it came out, so good job on that.

DIrishB said:
I just got a kick out of seeing your English-schooled *** spelling "program" as "programme". For a country who supposedly despise the French, many of your spelling techniques are decidedly influenced by them...or maybe I'm just an ignorant American. Anyway, the post itself summed up pretty much what everyone else has been saying since it came out, so good job on that.

England was conquered by more countries and continually blown up all the time. The language is made up from all the languages of the people who conquered Britain - especially France. So program is English is programme. Or program. Can be either. You'll note I actually flit between the two at random.

ProjectX2 said:
I love you Bass.

Hold me.

Bass said:
England was conquered by more countries and continually blown up all the time. The language is made up from all the languages of the people who conquered Britain - especially France. So program is English is programme. Or program. Can be either. You'll note I actually flit between the two at random.

In comic-speak, do you all spell "retcon" as "retconne"? ;)

ProjectX2 said:
I love you Bass.
Aw hell nah! You best be backin' offa my man!

*takes off shoe and hits Proj with it*

(Remember when I used to do this all the time? Ah, that takes me back...)

Right. Let's get this straight. It's not ****ing "Towlie" okay?

It's "Towelie". There's an 'e' before the l, jackass. :roll: :wink:

Last edited:
How is Omega Red ruined? That's like saying Hammerhead was ruined in UXM (and he's far more important than Omega Red, who has been massively over rated here). And where is all the Millar hate for the Brotherhood and Anti- Ultimates characters he has wasted in UXM and Ultimates?
Also, if people aren't complaining about decompression, they're complaining about fights being too quick.

And Bass, if you're so hateful of Bendis and his ways, why do you continue to line his pockets? Getting outraged about what happened in the book, then buying it so Bendis will get an extra bit of cash in his kids college fund is one of the most ridiculous ways of hating on him. Haters, stop picking up his books, and don't give me the ridiculous "I'm an Ultimate fan" argument!

randomthoughts said:
How is Omega Red ruined? That's like saying Hammerhead was ruined in UXM (and he's far more important than Omega Red, who has been massively over rated here). And where is all the Millar hate for the Brotherhood and Anti- Ultimates characters he has wasted in UXM and Ultimates?
Also, if people aren't complaining about decompression, they're complaining about fights being too quick.

I think the main complaint is that he took a relatively respected 616 character and made a joke of him...yet again. This is fine if done rarely and correctly (ie Ultimate Shocker), but at this point has just become a joke taken too far. I don't think the Ultimate version is "ruined" per se, but he definitly lost a few notches of respect in my book.

And Bass, if you're so hateful of Bendis and his ways, why do you continue to line his pockets? Getting outraged about what happened in the book, then buying it so Bendis will get an extra bit of cash in his kids college fund is one of the most ridiculous ways of hating on him. Haters, stop picking up his books, and don't give me the ridiculous "I'm an Ultimate fan" argument!

I'm pretty sure Bass doesn't buy the book, but downloaded #86 specifically so he could check out the Ultimazation of Omega Red...which he didn't like, and I can see why.

Now can I ask why you're coming off so hostile and seem to be picking fights? There were a number of more civil and more mature ways you could have gone about posting what you did.

randomthoughts said:

The way a 616 character, when ultimitized is 'ruined' is when, by process of the ultimization he comes off a less than his original.

For example, Thor was not ruined, neither was Captain America as at the worst, they have retained the same level of quality in their ultimization in the Ultimates. In my opinion, they have been improved upon.

Omega Red however, was a threat to all the X-Men, particularly Wolverine, with an origin that spanned the history of the previous 40 years. In the Ultimates that is all gone, and instead of it being replaced with a different level of intensity (I'd be quite happy if Omega Red was completely different so long as he was at least as effective as his 616 character) he is used as a shallow foil for Spider-Man to beat up.

The problem with this is that by ultimizing Omega Red, Bendis prevents Omega Red returning which is how it's a 'waste'. Understand, each 616 character has only one true chance to be 'ultimized' and if one does so and does not seize on the full potential of the character, one must ask "why did this writer ultimize this character and not just create a new one?" The answer is simple laziness. It's much easier to take the powers, appearance, name, gimmick, and semi-history of a pre-existing chaacter and bastardize him than invent new one from scratch.

Also, I agree, Hammerhead was completely wasted in Ultimate X-Men. The Brotherhood characters, I felt got a lot of good treatment from Millar in UXM. Blob, Toad, and Mastermind all got good portrayals. I was frustrated by the Hellfire Club and the Acolytes however as they were just half-assed. The Acolytes sounded cool but only appeared for three pages, never to be heard of again.

As for the 'anti-Ultimates' - we don't know who these characters are yet (save Loki and Crimson Dynamo and most likely Abomination) and so far they've not been wasted. They've orchestrated the invasion of conquest of America, destroyed the Ultimates and have only appeared for 5 issues. There's obviously a lot more of them to happen, and it's premature.

randomthoughts said:

I'm pretty sure I only complain about bad storytelling, and not the tool that's used. Bendis generally 'decompresses' by not only stuttering dialogue, but pace and story structure, and then ends fights with a deus ex machina so he doesn't have to have any of his characters make any real decisions or face the consequences of their actions.

randomthoughts said:

I don't buy any Bendis titles. I downloaded (as DiB said) #86 solely to see the Omega Red ultimization. The only Bendis title I plan on buying is possibly the New Avengers issues drawn by Frank Cho - but I'm still unsure.

Also, I'm not an "Ultimate Fan". I love the Ultimates, like Ultimate Gah Lak Tus, and Ultimate X-Men. Think Ultimate Fantastic Four is boring, and don't read the others.

Bass said:
The way a 616 character, when ultimitized is 'ruined' is when, by process of the ultimization he comes off a less than his original.

For example, Thor was not ruined, neither was Captain America as at the worst, they have retained the same level of quality in their ultimization in the Ultimates. In my opinion, they have been improved upon.

Omega Red however, was a threat to all the X-Men, particularly Wolverine, with an origin that spanned the history of the previous 40 years. In the Ultimates that is all gone, and instead of it being replaced with a different level of intensity (I'd be quite happy if Omega Red was completely different so long as he was at least as effective as his 616 character) he is used as a shallow foil for Spider-Man to beat up.

The problem with this is that by ultimizing Omega Red, Bendis prevents Omega Red returning which is how it's a 'waste'. Understand, each 616 character has only one true chance to be 'ultimized' and if one does so and does not seize on the full potential of the character, one must ask "why did this writer ultimize this character and not just create a new one?" The answer is simple laziness. It's much easier to take the powers, appearance, name, gimmick, and semi-history of a pre-existing chaacter and bastardize him than invent new one from scratch.

Also, I agree, Hammerhead was completely wasted in Ultimate X-Men. The Brotherhood characters, I felt got a lot of good treatment from Millar in UXM. Blob, Toad, and Mastermind all got good portrayals. I was frustrated by the Hellfire Club and the Acolytes however as they were just half-assed. The Acolytes sounded cool but only appeared for three pages, never to be heard of again.

As for the 'anti-Ultimates' - we don't know who these characters are yet (save Loki and Crimson Dynamo and most likely Abomination) and so far they've not been wasted. They've orchestrated the invasion of conquest of America, destroyed the Ultimates and have only appeared for 5 issues. There's obviously a lot more of them to happen, and it's premature.

I'm pretty sure I only complain about bad storytelling, and not the tool that's used. Bendis generally 'decompresses' by not only stuttering dialogue, but pace and story structure, and then ends fights with a deus ex machina so he doesn't have to have any of his characters make any real decisions or face the consequences of their actions.

I don't buy any Bendis titles. I downloaded (as DiB said) #86 solely to see the Omega Red ultimization. The only Bendis title I plan on buying is possibly the New Avengers issues drawn by Frank Cho - but I'm still unsure.

Also, I'm not an "Ultimate Fan". I love the Ultimates, like Ultimate Gah Lak Tus, and Ultimate X-Men. Think Ultimate Fantastic Four is boring, and don't read the others.

You should re-edit that into a letter form and mail it in to the USM editorial department, on the small chance they print it. I know its slim to none (less probably), but what the hell? It'll only cost you whatever the UK postal equivalent is to 37 cents over here, and a small amount of effort. Ah, I'm wasting my breath here I know, but someone needs to say it in a way he'll hear it. Or at least will have a hard time ignoring.

Imagine the letter is posted in an issue.

The response is - "Well, we're sorry to hear that's what you think, but rest assured that [Bendis] always has the best of intentions when utilising pre-existing characters from the original Marvel Universe. We all had our favourite characters from the old days, but it would be impossible to make them all global threats! Hopefully, Silver Sable's 'ultimization' as you put it, is more to your liking - and who says you've seen the last of Omega Red? He may pop up again..."

In other words they'd think I'm a fanboy who's pissed off Bendis mest up my pet favourite character and need to move out of my mum's basement and find a girlfriend.

So what's the ****ing point? It has less point than me sending them that stupid Captian Mahr-Vehl pitch.

Last edited:
Bass said:
In other words they'd think I'm a fanboy who's pissed off Bendis mest up my pet favourite character and need to move out of my mum's basement and find a girlfriend.
You forgot the 'who can't spell' part.
And I always knew icemastertron was the devil. The whole ice in hell thing was what made it obvious.

Last edited:
Bass said:
Imagine the letter is posted in an issue.

The response is - "Well, we're sorry to hear that's what you think, but rest assured that [Bendis] always has the best of intentions when utilising pre-existing characters from the original Marvel Universe. We all had our favourite characters from the old days, but it would be impossible to make them all global threats! Hopefully, Silver Sable's 'ultimization' as you put it, is more to your liking - and who says you've seen the last of Omega Red? He may pop up again..."

Isn't that the truth though?

So what's the ****ing point? It has less point than me sending them that stupid Captian Mahr-Vehl pitch.

True, but it would be good for laughs at least. And sometimes, a good laugh is worth the effort it requires.

Pandrio said:
You forgot the 'who can't spell' part.

I didn't want to say anything about it, but got a chuckle from that.

The thing with Omega Red is, we have a pretty good idea what his backstory is. There was no government tampering with him. His tentacles are now organic, which gives us a clue that every aspect of him is a product of his X-Gene. This is how Bendis killed the character. UOR had so much potential. Especially with everything that's going on in The Ultimates.

Latest posts

Back